ND3 Editor - A patch editor for Nord Drum 3P

Do you find max a satisfying environment to program things like this in? I would like to start doing this but am not sure of the best cross-platform approach. Have considered webmidi. If I understand correctly max can output cross platform binaries (or at least generate the needed binaries for each) but cannot make vst’s?

VSTs aren’t possible with Max (well… Max4Live could be considered vsts for Live, maybe) unfortunately. I think it was supported in the past (I think it was called pluggo?). I used Max because it’s what I know. With Max, you can only build an app for the platform you are working on (if you’re on Mac, Max will build an app for Mac, if on PC, Max will build the app for PC.) The patches themselves (the Max files created by Max users) are platform agnostic, so you can load the same Max patch on either PC or Mac and it should work. Which mean that if you have access to a Mac and a PC, both with Max installed, you could just make a build of the same Max patch on your PC and on Mac, to create an app for PC and an app for Mac. As for the satisfaction of developing such things in Max, I’d say definitely. It’s like working with a modular synth, but with code instead. It’s all oriented around sound and visual. You can easily make user interfaces.

1 Like

Nice - I’m considering picking up the full version of Max while on sale (ends the 20th). Thanks for your reply!

1 Like

This is great, indeed. Many thanks!

I wonder, if it is possible to have a windows version?

I do have Ableton Live Suite. I can also open the editor but couldnt manage to progress from there on.

I would very much appreciate the effort!

Many thanks.

Hi Leska, I don’t have access to a PC with Max at the moment, so I can’t make the app, sorry about that!

Hi,

Any news on a Windows file I can open in Live Suite?

Thanks for making this! I have an ND3 o the way and look forward to checking it out.

You can change the zoomfactor of the patcher programmatically by sending a ‘zoomfactor $1’ message to a [thispatcher] object. There are some solutions floating around the Max forums that uses javascript to change the zoom level and window size accordingly - pretty neat.

As for compatibility, your app will have the same system requirements as Max:

If you want to roll a Windows executable I don’t mind helping you out, I’ve got a setup over here for it (I’ve been using installers but you could also just distribute the folder, but it’s a lot less sleek than the mac package)

6 Likes

Windows version now added, thanks to Ess! See original post for link. (The app has not been tested on Windows yet, but no reason it shouldn’t work.)

3 Likes

Hello!

Nice editor! It doesn’t work on Mac OS X Big Sur correctly though. When I open the editor and change the Midi Input it crashes. When I open up the application contents and open up the Max Resource it works fine, so it might just need to be re-exported with the latest Max for Mac OS X Big Sur?

Also as a suggestion, it would be cool to allow the sequencer Midi channels to be modified (I run mine on 9-14 to interface with Digitakt for example). Also dice rolls on for just Noise and Tone controls could be cool.

Same problem here!
Could you just explain how to open the editor from Max?
Big Sur 11.4

Thanks!

Open Max, then open the ND3_Editor file.

1 Like

possible to make use for Max for Live? Would be very useful. Or even the max file. Thank You for this! unfortunately the big sur workaround did not work (opening max or ableton max i tried both). Any clue how this can be updated? Lovely look to it!

The app is working well on Linux and Windows.

One caveat though: the size of the icons/parameters buttons dont reduce when we reduce the size of the window. It leaves a window where icons are too big to fit the screen and we constantly need to scroll up/down left/right to display all parameters at once. It really slows down the workflow.

Happens on both OS, great app otherwise, very intuitive, i appreciate the random feature even if i tend to not use the app so often because of the issue i mentioned.
Maybe adding Min and Max values would be useful for randomization.

PS: i also love that it is a standalone and i don’t need Max to use it, i wish everyone would publish stand alone apps so we don’t need third pàrty apps.

Hi Can you make a Max4Live version of this? I cant export one from max because this patch is locked. I love the editor its my favorite!

I switched to MacOS (Monterey M1) and the app crashes as soon as I try to maximize the window (wether I double click on top of the window or click on the green icon at the top left) or just even try to resize the window.

As such it is unusable as the window’s too big to show all the options.
Any update to fix that bug in a foreseeable future @RawTicks ?