Native Instruments S61 Mk3

It’s a release a week at this point! I am really hoping that A) this is a nice upgrade for anyone wanting NI hardware and B) that it comes with a new Komplete Kontrol 3 software for all users.

See no other release info at this point.

PolyAT and being able to switch midi channel without being connected to a computer would win me over.

Just FYI, you can change MIDI channels on previous versions of the S series too, it’s just a bit of a pain. You need to create templates in their MIDI editor that are set to different channels and then you can simply recall those from the keyboard, even with no computer connected. I do this with my S49mk1 and have them named according to the MIDI channel. Obviously it would be nice if there was an easier way to do it, but it is possible.

2 Likes

Thank you @maymind_trax. My initial search had pointed me in that direction, but like you said it sounded like a bit of a pain to set up.
I’ll give it a go, but would love it if those templates could be managed on the device itself like on the SL MKIII.

1 Like
1 Like

Polyphonic Aftertouch

Keybeds were developed in collaboration with Fatar.

Prices range from €749.00 for the 49-key model to €849.00 for 61 keys to €1299.00 for the 88-key version. The 88 has hammer-action keys, the other two are semi-weighted. A single large color screen.

2 Likes

So it’s just a hardware upgrade? Doesn’t look like they changed much

1 Like

A bit expensive for a MIDI keyboard, but built quality and features seem properly high-end. Interested in what they do with Maschine. I want that GUI on my MK3.

This might sound a bit stupid but I sort of wish they’d bring out a keyboardless version. I’d be quite happy with a desktop module type thing that would give me some visual feedback

Either that or some official support for browsing via Push in Live.

4 Likes

Hammer action and polyphonic aftertouch on the 88-key version is pretty much the only keyboard out there with those two as a combination I think. Will be interesting to see if Arturia match that with a MK3 Keylab 88.

3 Likes

Crazy that NI has such powerful synthesis software, but can’t seem to come up with a hardware design to truly interact with it.

1 Like

One can only hope that this inspires NI to update Komplete Kontrol software which hasn’t been significantly updated for ages…I honestly thought it was dead.

Personally, I didn’t pay much more than that for a full MPE Osmose with a synth engine, Hydrasynth also pretty close in price think its too expensive for a dumb controller, but I guess if you are only interested in ITB it may be a good option, but for that cost no pads for drums or faders for mixing…not the ‘one thing’ on the desk solution I thought the MK3 may be…

1 Like

I’ve seen half of the video until freezes and it’s only hardware upgrade…

next-generation NKS implementation

Be interesting to see more on this and if this also works on the MK2 (I have a 49) as currently the screen displays almost no information - just a big blank screen moist of the time!

1 Like

On NKS…

Looks like this essentially runs a version of Komplete Kontrol within the HW itself, but with some added functionality not available in the SW. Does this spell the end of Komplete Kontrol as a software concept, or signal exclusivity to the hardware for these features with a SW update or a new software called “Kontrol” to be launched?

I actually quite like the idea that the lightguide shows you where you play wrong notes, rather than playing them for you or putting the whole keyboard in a key.

I highly doubt it’s the end of the software platform, n.i. may make some questionable decisions but can you imagine the uproar if they made komplete kontrol EOL after having sold hundreds of them in the pre release sale, I reckon the pace of updates will slow inline with maschine and it’ll be more of a maintainance program… also with mk2s being a more affordable option it’ll draw more people into the ecosystem, makes no sense to alienate fresh customers…

True enough. I was thinking/hoping/wishing that they would do refreshed SW in line with the new keys (perhaps selfish as I don’t have an NI board.) I was thinking that a refreshed KK 3.0 with a nice NKS 2 protokol available to all. You’re right though. Why would they EOL the carrot that gets people into the ecosystem?

1 Like

Yeah I mean I finally pulled the trigger once it got to a point where it was affordable for me to own one, that was just a few months back, I’d be incandescent to be honest if they pulled the rug, no regerts though even though it’s last gen now I’m super happy with it, definitely the nicest board I’ve had or will ever likely have…

Interesting to see the Maschine buttons have been removed. With it being one screen either

1. they are just separating the product lines.
  2. there’s a new Maschine with the single screen coming.
  3. this is beginning of Maschine being depreciated.

Given their addiction to ‘content’ and that they must be a large part of their current business model, 3 is unlikely, but you never know. The M+ hasn’t really been pushed much and M3 is getting on now too.

Remember KORE? Yes me neither…

Obviously the keyboard is top quality hence the price, so it’s an investment that makes sense for people who own Komplete and want a high quality keyboard.

Loopop says NI told him, the integration with Maschine might come later. Take it for what you will.