NAMM 2019 predictions / releases

Les Sondiers, in French, tend to give great YouTube reviews which contain both problems, frustrations, and the good stuff, in roughly the same balance as they appear in the actual unit, along with their commentary on whether or not those problems are likely to be relevant to your case or not. If you don’t understand French, try the auto-translate, it’s usually good enough to give you a sense of what’s going on.

2 Likes

I also notice that the Prologues both the 61 and 49 are on sale various places – $200 off. So here’s my prediction:

Korg is soon to announce the Prologue v2, with the improved Multi-engine (like the Minilogue xd) and other new features in the xd, and perhaps some other new stuff.

1 Like

My K5000s looks quite embarrassed now. Why he has wasted his complete youth learning all the features which are part of additive synthesis? That’s like calling a mono synth with 2 sine oscillators additive … :wink:

BTW: I’ve seen some spare place on the left side of your studio. Still enough to host some large boxes … :smiley:

Joking aside: that’s a really crammed space. I see what you mean.

1 Like

no more boxes! :joy:

7 Likes

Alexa, please compose a couple of hit songs on this device, sell them on all available platforms and transfer the money to my new caribbean bank account.

Modern life can be so simple.

4 Likes

Alexatrack!

3 Likes

I sure hope they make a big deal out of it. It is a huge accomplishment! Look around, who else offers this on their product lines? The Virus? Haven’t seen a new one of those in an eternity and hardware wise it’s a friggin dinosaur!

You might take it for granted, or feel entitled but this software development was really hard. The fact that they stuck to it for 2 years, is proof you should continue supporting them.

As a software engineer myself I suppose I have a particularly inclined perspective on being forgiving when it comes to the time needed to produce good software. There are no shortcuts.

9 Likes

doom

7 Likes

I’m all for a new Elektron machine to get hyped up for, but doesn’t it seem pretty hot on the heels of the Digitone?

2 Likes

Just as hot on the heals of the digitone as the digitone was on the digitakt

2 Likes

not sure where you got all that from my comment…

I get that it’s a huge accomplishment. seems the fact of the matter is they started marketing and selling a product based around a feature which was nowhere near complete. hey, they screwed up, it happens… but is it better - at a massive trade show with huge media presence - to draw attention to the fact that you finally finished what you’d promised thousands of customers, or to show off something new?

both are obviously accomplishments. I’m simply saying one looks less-good for the company.

no sure, but I think they made the mistake initially of underestimating the sheer difficulty and immense work that was going to be necessary. I don’t think it was intentional or intended to be mis-marketing. I think as you say it was a serious goof.

Sorry I wasn’t trying to put any words in your mouth.

:+1:

1 Like

Yeh we need a virus ti3 blackstar ,I’ve still got the lcd plastic on my ti2 polar ,if ya wanna make me an offer😀

1 Like

Well yeah, that kind of pace doesn’t seem sustainable considering the release cycle before this.
Like I said, I’d love to be surprised, I was thinking just OB 2.0 for namm, so I’m sitting pretty already.

2 Likes

I think ob needed to be finished before another box could be introduced. I was expecting at least public beta announced at NAMM but since that has happened, I think another box is up the pipeline. They could ultimately be shown together a new box with functioning ob would probably be a hit

2 Likes

It is sustainable when you:

1. reduce the feature set quite heavily (marketing calls this “streamlined” and “more focused”)
  2. deliver the remaining features incomplete (with no doable plan to complete them, because development got already assigned to the next shiny new thing)

/ironic-mode-off :tongue:

2 Likes

In recent history we went through a bit of an FM renaissance and that culminated in the digitone. I wouldn’t be surprised if next came wavetable synthesis.

Digitable? Digiwave? Not sure what it will be called, but it’s coming! And I’ll be buying it!

Digiwave? That would be a Me-too product, i guess. Dont believe that Elektron is into that. Simon revealed his one Synth only Love affair with a MC202 recently…so…

Im ready for DigiBass. An Elektron Minitaur with 24db filter, 64 step sequencer with plocks and OB.

4 Likes

I’m kinda stoked about the Strymon Volante. Other than that, I’m hoping not to get too wowed by any new product and knuckle down(learn) with the stuff I have :slight_smile:

5 Likes