NAMM 2019 predictions / releases

I probably shouldn’t get into these matters, but anyway…

8 Likes

I agree 100%, but let me introduce you to the studio of the person you are talking too, hehehe.

12 Likes

“Affordable” , “Budget”

It’s all semantics, no?

One person’s “budget” is another person’s “no way I can afford that!”

6 Likes

More affordable does not equal “budget” to me. I get that the dt was designed to be a less expensive elektron machine. And streamlined and focused is what I mentioned earlier. But even a less expensive elektron box is not a budget box. Volcas are budget boxes. The dt is leagues away from that.

But as @AdamJay says semantics.

5 Likes

OK fine, I knew I shouldn’t get into this… :grin:
I certainly understand a digi box is still quite expensive and a high quality device…
I just want more big boxes to happen… :smile:

9 Likes

I’m holding out for an Analog 1/2 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Digitakt was just about budget enough for me to afford it, all previous Elektron machines were off the radar expensive, regardless of their real value.

4 Likes

Same! Rather than a smaller ‘focused’ box, I want something deeper that can be explored for years.
Plus, how am I going to endlessly ask idiotic questions, like I did when I got my OT, if they’re too simple?

5 Likes

Ultimately, the small box formate makes more money for the company and I’m sure they have taken notice. Why throw five different synthesis methods into a big box like the monomachine when people will pay about 70% of the price for a digitone that focuses on one synthesis method. Plus more units are reportedly moving with small formate. This is main reason I think we will see many more digitakt sized offerings.

I would love for them to release more of the typical elektron sized boxes, they are probably some of the absolutely deepest synths out there. A proper OT upgrade would be awesome.

Now I’m veering far off topic though.

8 Likes

Point taken, but prepare to be told by someone that Digitone is FM + Subtractive + Additive. :wink:

7 Likes

True enough, and also “no way would I pay that” too, on many occasions when looking into products of any kind sometimes I don’t see the value (of the asking price) favourably against what use/benefits/joy it will perceivably bring me. Of course this isn’t to say “x product isn’t worth the money” because often those kind of blanket statements are highly subjective anyway, I think often people get mixed up with this.

Of course also sometimes (as I have done often in the past) we can be a bit cheap, and rather than being patient and saving up and going without other things, in order to get the product we really want, we go for a cheaper product which may not fit all the criteria of the more expensive option, only to find that we wasted money and time on an inferior thing that doesn’t suit in some way.

Still, I think that for the most part Elektron gear is reasonably priced, and often I will buy before even trying it as I trust their reputation based on previous experiences, and so far it has worked out ok.

6 Likes

I’m not so sure this is the only consideration, sure time is money, but sometimes adding extra features will also invariably add extra sales/customers. A good example of this is Overbridge which is free, (and as we have come to know only too well) takes considerable resources and time to roll out, but will (hopefully) increase perceived product value and number of units sold. So in the case of additional synthesis methods or song mode or any other firmware feature I think these are design choices, as they are by comparison much less resource intensive to add.

Curious to know what you would consider a proper upgrade - Overbridge?

an Octatrack with Alexa built in?

7 Likes

Please no !!! :rofl:

Elektron and Texas Instruments join up and Make the limited edition calcutone.

8 Likes

image image
And don’t forget the limited cuckoo edition with extra clicky buttons.

8 Likes

The thing i always come back to mentally is that it was mentions by elektron that the digitakt sold more in a year than the ot since its release. This means that for the company the sales of the digi boxes are quite important to the recent success of the company. And as much as i still like to think elektron is just a small group of nerds devoting themselves to the cause, we all know recently the addition of outside investors has changed things a little bit.

I personally value elektron’s history of adding feature to machines and i would love to believe that they can continuously profit and exist just by improving their existing lineup. But this doesn’t drive sales or raise profit in the same way a new popular item does.

I have many ideas for an OT upgrade but I will keeps them to myself. They are just ideas and likely to get shot down and highly criticized on this board. Im just not in the mood for that today,

4 Likes

Get your wallets ready :slight_smile:

1 Like

Minilogue xd – Volca Modular – Volca Drum – and now two Kromes. Korg is on a quest.

Perhaps this is off-topic.

2 Likes

Whatever it is , if there is something , I’d wait for a few firmware updates and assume that all influencers / previews etc have edited out that things that don’t work or make it crash.

If there’s an actual honest overview , warts and all , it would be very unusual .

2 Likes