Name That Synth

If Moroder had a Synclavier II in his cinematic arsenal, might just be he used that for that mellow horn sound. There are plenty of horn timbres and samples to layer on the Synclavier. Might be a bit frustrating to splash out 5k on a Minimoog and then find out that that sound came from the Synclavier II which is now available for iPad for around 30 bucks / euros!

2 Likes

It could definitely be a Synclavier. If you’ve got some examples, feel free to post them.

There are also Minimoog plugins, so I hope no one ever has to feel like they have to spend $5,000 to get that sound.

2 Likes

@Kraus
Unless it’s Linn Drum I’m generally clueless when it comes to drum machines, but I think I hear some TR-808 on some of the sounds or maybe blended with them.

@Skypainter
Sounds very analogue though. I’m not familiar with the Synclavier but if it could produce that kind of smoothness as well as being versatile, I’m very impressed!

@HoldMyBeer
I forgot to respond in my previous reply about the envelopes. I often get mixed up and think of Monologue as Minilogue. But if I recall, the original Minilogue had some sort of envelope clicking issue so I suppose it could be an inherited issue carried over from that one. Was a while ago now but I think it may have been mentioned in Nick Batt’s review of the original Minilogue.

1 Like

@Beatmode
Yeah, the Minilogue had clicking envelopes/issues at launch, but they were able to fix it with a firmware update. I don’t think they ever fixed it in the Monologue though. I may have to see if its firmware is up to date just to be sure.

2 Likes

I’m inefficient at uploading music, but even more inefficient at patching from scratch on the Synclavier iOS, tbh, I mostly use it for tweaking and layering presets for pads. It’s an app I need to dig into more, load my own samples into it etc.

It’s a mixture of samples, additive synthesis and fm with the full range of expression features for playing - up to 12 layers per patch. It’s ridiculously deep, but at the price of being pretty cryptic. It’s definitely designed (but obviously not only) to be able to mimic acoustic instruments.

I keep meaning to get properly familiar with it - sure it could be very rewarding - but from the iPad synth apps I have, I’m mostly using Virsyn Tera Pro of late.

2 Likes

I have VirSyn Terra on my iPad although it never gets used because I can’t stand touch-screen stuff. Now you mention it though, Terra is probably a very good candidate for getting that sort of sound due to all the ‘Drive’ fuctionality it has going on (or if I recall correctly it has).

2 Likes

It doesn’t sound dissimilar to one of the Roland CR machines

2 Likes

I use the Tera Pro for coming up with more out-their sounds, but I guess with the ability to import thousands of wavetables and layering of two patches in a single instance, good acoustic emulations should be doable. I actually enjoy building patches on it when on transport, in bed etc. then hooking it up to hw for hands on control - it’s a quality sounding synth.

1 Like

Oho true, I didn’t think of that.
I thought it might be a 606, based on the cymbal sounds?

I think I have CR-78 and 606 samples in my Rytm. In the spirit of this thread I’ll try to recreate this drum track.

3 Likes

Totally agree. I mean I can’t speak for any other version, but the version I have is the white one that scrolls horizontally to navigate the controls and I have no hesitation in saying it’s one of the very best analogue simulations I’ve ever heard.

No cheating though, you’re not allowed to sample it in :grin:

1 Like

So I forgot what synth I used on this having habitually bought and sold loads of stuff all of the time since I discovered money or maybe before that something about unconditional love

Resurrecting this one to see if anyone can identify the synth in this picture:

It’s from the Drumetrics Boiler Room set several years back

I can see that there’s a Therevox next to it but don’t recognise this one

Or is it a Nord and I’m being thrown by the lighting not showing up it’s bright red-ness?

1 Like

Yes it’s a Nord. Probably a Nord Stage.

1 Like

Does this help?

" I’ve had a go with virtual sounds, especially woodwind, on the Yamaha VL-1. That’s going to be great in the future."

Thanks! Crafty of them (/completely accidental) to stash it in the shadows

…that’s defenitly nords knobs there…and i see red in the dark…

1 Like

:joy:

1 Like