My Rytm 'Flashes' in the dark occasionally, without any power!

But the rytm has a switching power supply, without the transformer. :slight_smile:
But the rectifier with the capacitor look like a possible cause if there is leakage current flowing in.

A transformer would be bigger then the rytms power supply. The supply is pretty small and flat so iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s a switching supply.

My Rytm streaked a party the other day, buck naked, no pl-2ā€¦ :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Sure. I didnā€™t dispute this.

I think they are usually cheaper. And they do ideed have noise problems.

I actually bought a kit for a linear power supply (so the non-switching, tranformer type) the other day. It costed 100 euro and came with a separate heavy ā€˜brickā€™ which houses the transformer.
I think all the (nessesary) copper in the transformer is what makes it so expensive.

About leakage, itā€™s possible the surge protection circuitry is active and leaking somethig to the device side.

Youā€™re right that a switching supply can contain a small transformer but iā€™m not sure the same ā€˜charge buildingā€™ theory applies because there is an active switching element in the path.

I donā€™t think it could be the ā€˜stored chargeā€™ thing because that would work only once and then the cap would have lost its charge.

So it definitely looks like some leakage in some way.

1 Like

great thread btw :diddly:

This got me thinking, you know of a forum that talks about this sort of stuff? D love to lurk on such a board, as this sort of stuff interests me yet I am completely clueless about itā€¦

1 Like

Shhhhhhā€¦

I replaced the Psupply of my elektron md and eventide space with linear PSupply ā€¦no more sys crashes

1 Like

Always disconnect your machines at nightā€¦ they might come alive and kill you in your sleep!

2 Likes

Check out the movie ā€˜LFOā€™ :wink:

Its a fun movie! Very unique.

Well, i donā€™t actually see any negative effects on the rytm, so i suppose itā€™s not a problem, at least in that case. :slight_smile:

Hello, let me join this club of (attention seeking) owners of attention seeking RYTMs. Are your RYTMs still well and alive? Did you take any precautions to prevent this from happening?