My OT won't start up properly

Having just been getting back into OT, my damn machine has decided to lock up every time I turn it on. It boots as usual, but never gets to the point of the loading bar when accessing the CF. The CF led is brightly lit as if its trying to access the card but… nothing, it looks like its started up as normal but the machine is completely unresponsive, buttons, knobs all disabled, all I can do is turn the machine off.

If I boot into test mode, it all looks ok. If I boot into demo mode, I get the same locked up result. Interestingly, demo mode without the card inserted does work so I’m hoping the CF has corrupted. Well, I say ‘hoping’ but it seems I’ve lost my projects and samples. Its the stock card, and isn’t actually branded, its got a sticker on it with ‘Octacard’ or something similar printed on it.

I don’t have a CF reader for the computer, so I have no idea if I can access the card or not, but the OT is clearly unable to read from it. Also, the OT has been nowhere near a computer for some time, it was connected to an iPad earlier today, but just via MIDI out, not via USB.

By posting here, I’m hoping someone may have some insight, or perhaps a trick to revive the card, or at least rescue the content. Or perhaps my OT is borked, I’ll see what support say…

The first CF card that came with my octatrack was broken and showed the same issue. They break so easy.

I think that might be your problem too.

3 Likes

Possible to enter demo mode with a card inside ? I thought it was without card only…
Anyway, it sounds like a card problem.

I had a corrupted card problem once.
I think I turned off OT too quickly after powering up, during project loading from card.

All my projects were unusable. I had maybe some avaible samples. I don’t remember what was left, but there were some files. My card was full before, and I didn’t defragmented it (Original card).

I tried to recover thing with a dedicated software (easy recovery or something), I couldn’t recover projects, but I could recover sample files with weird names, hard to use after.

So yes, you need a card reader to check.
I guess you can’t use USB mode with OT…

Good luck !

1 Like

Hmm, I can’t remember now but it’s possible I turned off OT immediately after saving. There’s usually disk activity for a few seconds after.

It sounds as if it’s a card issue anyway, fingers crossed a fresh card will work!

1 Like

I’m not sure, but I think I could create a set with my corrupted card…

And it worked perfectly after formating.

Apparently you can’t buttons, hence use project one to change project, create a set ?

The ‘Octacard’-labelled cards are notoriously bad. There are many reports from users about these cards not working. I believe that Elektron has recently been shipping other branded CF cards with new OTs.

I recommend that you contact Elektron support to notify them and seek some redress.

2 Likes

I tried a few times but the unit is frozen, no buttons working at all.

It doesn’t even make sense really, I’ve saved maybe 8-10 times today then suddenly it won’t load. The card hasn’t even been removed for months. First time in 8 years that I’ve had an issue like this with OT!

I did see a few posts indicating the newer stock cards aren’t great, so fingers crossed that’s all the problem is :+1:

I did open a ticket earlier, thanks for the info! I did find a couple of related posts but it sounds like you have seen even more.

I’m hopeful I’ll be up and running again soon :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like