My new MKII froze while updating the firmware

My brand-new MKII is frozen on this screen.

Just brought it home today, plunked around a little bit and everything was fine. I saw I wasn’t on the latest firmware (it was on 1.3!0B), so I downloaded 1.30C, put it on the CF card and selected upgrade OS. It freezes with the status bar about 20% through. Gave it about 30-40 minutes and the bar hadn’t moved a single pixel. So I power down and power up.

Now it’s frozen here. I’ve run the test mode and is says everything is ok, but when I press the first trigger after the test, the screen goes full grey and stays there until I power down.

When I try to do an empty reset, it just goes back to this screen as well. When I exit startup mode, it hangs here too.

Is there anything I can do? Did this really just brick on me on day 1?

Reach out to electron support, I’m pretty sure they can help you out.
FW update usually takes 2-3 minutes max, so the power cycle after half an hour seems legit :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I did. Pacing in my studio waiting for the weekend to be over so I can get a response…

Yeah, kinda didn’t know what to do at that point. My Digitakt, Digitone, and Analog Four all update within a couple of minutes, so I knew something was up. I kept waiting for something to happen, but nothing…

Would you try with another card ?

For those keeping score… It wasn’t the card–it couldn’t even get itself to the point where it would see a card, working or not.

Elektron support said it was probably a faulty unit so I’m exchanging with the store I bought it from.

1 Like

This happend to me with my OT MK1, it froze when the updated the lastest firmware using USB. Asked Elektron support and they said to update using sysEX through a MIDI interface. It worked!

1 Like

Microwave 30 seconds on high.
What I always do when mine freezes

3 Likes

Not surprising @friedcircuit liked your post too ! :joy:

2 Likes

Another faulty unit bought new then.(Elektron say to replace it). Could anyone tell me if Elektron had this high hit rate years ago. Im not in any other music forum but even the OP-1 wasnt this bad when i was there.