My new lo-fi ambient album, made entirely with my phone

Designed a method to create these pieces while walking around the city.
I explain a bit about the process in the description (although in spanish)
But I can translate if someone is interested.
Hope you enjoy it.
And, of course, if you feel like it, please support <3

10 Likes

Listening now… Really mellow so far, enjoying it a lot. What programs are you using? And do you mean it’s interacting with the environment?

I’m trying to create something similar at the moment using Fieldscaper and Borderlands (and possibly other things). So any suggestions will be very welcome

thanks @kairos!
It’s not interacting with the enviroment - but I was while creating it :slight_smile:
so… not directly?

I only used my iPhone SE. I can’t remember exactly, but a big part of it is RE-1 Tape Machine, a nice tape emulation.
I was feeding it fragments of my own compositions (some I never used, mainly pianos sequenced by Fugue Machine) until I got lucky accidents…
I then did some editing/mixing/mastering on Ableton Live, but most of the are just a single stereo recording, with or without edits.

2 Likes

Sounds really nice, the bit I listened to. Will give it a proper listen later.

1 Like

Excellent Sunday morning vibes.
It’s very, very dreamy. I remember reading this post last week and while I listened I remember you saying that you made it while you were walking around but I couldn’t remember where exactly or if you even said.

So I began using my imagination. Your sounds made me feel like I was walking around an endless field, grass as high as my chest, without a worry in the world. Ahhhhh the summer haze. Nostalgia. The smell of freshly cut grass filling my nose. Sounds of crickets and distant laughter, muffled tractors and bird song.

Very organic for a post with “made entirely on my phone” in the title. :clap: :clap:

Mad props to you on the concept!

What inspired you to do this?

2 Likes

hey, thanks a lot! <3
love to read this kind of synesthesic experiences… glad that you find it dreamy, it’s a quality I look for in this kind of music myself.

I can’t say there was a particular inspiration…
I was killing time at university (waiting for an exam result) and decided to try this experiment I’d thought about on my phone (iPhone SE, so a particularly small screen!)
Got some nice accidents, so I decided to try it again with other sound sources, while walking down the streets or doing chores… it would not always work, but sometimes I would hit a sweet spot… I made it voluntarily inconvenient in the sense that I wouldn’t be able to hear whatever sound fragment I was adding, and the process was destructive so, once I added it… there was no turning back. That played an important role in terms of anxiety vs. patience, as I tried to make good moments last as much as possible, carefully adding layers when I felt like it

3 Likes

I went to bed playing this. Absolutely loved it.

I’d buy this on Vinyl if available (if I had the cash)

1 Like

Thank you! :white_heart:
Vinyl is probably not going to happen… although I would love to explore this technique in the future to make another album (currently busy with other upcoming stuff, completely unrelated style)

But… you can always support in Bandcamp :wink:
Not sure when, but the idea is these will be available in physical format - postal card with a download code that you can send to share with whoever you want :white_heart:
Not the same as vinyl, I know… but oh well!

1 Like

I totally understand, and I appreciate it’s out there.

Usually for me personally, buying vinyl is a way for me to balance and navigate the insane amount of music that’s out there. I only really listen to downloads of stuff I have on physical formats. Otherwise I just get overwhelmed and things fall by the way side, even if they don’t deserve to.

3 Likes

Well said… well said! :clap:

1 Like

This is lovely. Never would have guessed it was all composed on an iPhone.

2 Likes

This is really really good. It’s rare someone posts their own music on any forum and I enjoy it this much. This is like lofi GAS vibes. Well done man!!

1 Like

Is the last track supposed to cut out suddenly and early like that? I like that ending, just not sure if it’s intentional or not.

1 Like

Thank you!

Thanks <3 glad you enjoyed it!

haha you’re actually the second person to ask that
yes, it’s intentional!

1 Like

Very sopranos esque :-p

1 Like

hahaha
I love that ending more and more as time goes by

You can still record this on a cassette :slight_smile:
IMO the right physical form for such lovely lofi ambient pieces.

⇒ :beers:

3 Likes

Got a chance to listen this morning - I also really enjoyed it. Great work and thanks for sharing !

1 Like

Yeah I agree this type of sound is super cassette-ish hehe
Maybe if I do another album with this technique I can release it in that format

Maybe contact @boboter and see how he feels about this :wink:

1 Like