My Machinedrum is dying

My Machinedrum has been acting “funny” (not ha ha funny) for a while, it won’t allow me to select a different drum voice while writing a part, then it won’t stop or let me change parameters… I have to restart, then it starts glitching again in a few minutes. Real frustrating as I love the Machinedrum - I also have an AR but the MD still can do things the AR cannot.

I contacted Elektron Support, asking about repairs and got this grim response:

" We have very limited capabilities to repair the MKI units (as most components are obsolete) and it could be very expensive in the end. If the problems are caused by a failing CPU the costs could be up to 300-400 USD, not including the freight costs."

He suggested buying a used MD - perhaps getting a MKII - (mines the 1st generation) instead of fixing my old one because it would be cheaper.

Any suggestions? Is he right? Do I buy a used, newer MD? What do I do with the old one - throw it in the garbage? I always thought that Elektron had great service but this makes me feel a bit abandoned…

-Snuffy

I was having some problems with my MnM. It would freeze up randomly. I contacted HQ and they told me to stray the connections with some stuff to remove any oxidation and to change the battery.

I did that and it worked.

This may not be your problem., but before you spend significant funds sending it somewhere, try to at least change the battery. Maybe that’s all it needs?

NOTE: I’m no tech :slight_smile:

Umm… Battery??!

hehe, i hope you dont own any Apple products…

but yeh, buy another one - sell the broken one for parts… and im surprised you have never experienced a tech situation like this before - either you must be quite young, a luddite, or just super lucky

because yeh - get used to it

apple comment made me laugh. i just got quoted 250$ to replace my battery… hahahahhahahaha

sell your apple stock now, once the student loan bubble is over, they’re tanking.

I regret selling my MD mk1. Even though id stopped using it… I wish i still had it proudly displayed atop my mantle the way an old hunter would have his favorite dog stuffed by a taxidermist. On my whiskey hazed nights i could curl up beside it and reminisce about the good old days…

see the manual, for example on the bottom of p.2: “The device contains a non rechargable lithium perchlorate battery cell that may need to be recycled separately depending on local environmental laws. If the battery needs replacing, please contact Elektron or a local professional technician for servicing.” etc.

It’s supposed to last several years before it needs replacement, but with a mk1 you might well have reached that point.

Yeah pull all the ribbons, clean the pins, reseat the ribbons & see if that sorts it. Sorted mine.
Also check the battery as mentioned. Fair chance one of those will get it up & running.

Btw, when you put the top plate back on, roll it left to right gently so the LEDs slip into place one by one. If you bend them it’ll be a right arse getting them to sit right.

Good luck

It is worth mentioning that the main reason why Elektron made MkII models of the Machinedrum and Monomachine was because of an inability to source certain parts, and that was years ago.

Of course, this doesn’t help the OP, but I feel like it needs to be mentioned whenever it is relevant because of all the people that assume there will be an Octatrack MKII because there were MkII’s of the earlier machines.

To the OP…you could try getting it repaired anyhow, maybe at somewhere local, but I have no doubt that Elektron were being sincere in their response. At least they suggested replacing it with a used MkII, instead of saying “tough shit, better buy a new one”.

I had a similar issue with my MkII. It would boot up and lock despite everything being fine in the diagnostics menu. Turned out to be a fried main board and around $400 to repair.

Oh and my local authorised repairer quoted $1400 and charged just to take a look at it!

there will be an Octatrack MKII

That would be a bummer for new OT owners.
If they did that hopefully they’d make any additions available to progenitor owners like with the +Drive upgrade.

Okay - contacted the Repair people and waiting to hear back - I live in LA so it should be easy… probably will try the ribbon reseat option tonight anyway.

I am not opposed to getting a new machine - will see what the repair folks have to say.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Jon is the LA person and he was there when the MK I came out I believe. So he will be perhaps the best person in the US for this machine.

I just heard a saying recently: “Hardware eventually fails. Software eventually works.”

Haha, I like it! Of course, there’s always a little hardware behind software, and a little software behind hardware, so it all eventually works or fails!

True, but we know how them bugz are…