Muting forum members

E-stimnautsusers was a wild site!

Jokes aside, the best thing about the name changes is that it caused the aging dorks who cared more about that than making music to immolate themselves, for nothing.

7 Likes

People really need to understand that not every idea or opinion is valid, not every thought needs to be shared. The world would be better if every douche looking for easy money wasn’t trying to ā€œget that bag broā€ by spouting malformed ideas into the ether or trying to manipulate the algorithm into giving them views. I’d almost go a step further and say that maybe not everybody should have a megaphone to shout with about every possible topic, but that gets into thorny territory.

12 Likes

It’s an issue of scale. It’s not bad in isolation, but communities are infested with it, and it dovetails into consumption focus about everything.

It’s offputting how people have retreated into sexless porno about EVERYTHING.

ā€œThirstyā€ was really such a good descriptor of the phenomenon.

4 Likes

It was something to watch, I’ll say.

I still read the REAPER Forums on cockos, but I don’t post there because I don’t have any knowledge to share… not that that stops me here… but it’s a much more pragmatic forum (ā€œHow do I do this obscure thing that I’m sure is buried somewhere;ā€ ā€œSnap grid not workingā€ etc.). But it seems a lot less toxic to me than GS or MW.

I think the thing that makes both that place and this place a bit better than the rest is that they’re focused on a pretty specific topic, so (hopefully) even the most bitter enemies still have common ground to work from. Sometimes I wonder if the more general-interest a forum is, the worse it gets. Maybe not.

3 Likes

I just want more people to mute me.

4 Likes

Sorry to keep posting but I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately.

Last weekend I had breakfast with 15 people who I met almost 20 years ago on a neighborhood forum (a local one, not like NextDoor or whatever). The core group was originally bigger, but this was most of the folks who haven’t moved too far away or died or got iced out for being incorrigible shitheads. So I’ve been thinking about that difference between the people you meet online and the ones you see in the real world.

Because these are people I met online and were originally just usernames & avs to me. But 10 years later, they made up most of the non-relatives at my wedding.

I wonder if part of it is that one city really isn’t all that big. The site where we all originally met on was full of racists and shitposters and idiots, as well as politicians and bad business owners, and so on. There were threads on threads on threads about Scary Teenagers In Long White Tees Menacing The Park.

But at some point, one of us (not me) got sick of the flame wars and said ā€œLook, I’m going to be at [some bar with a lot of tables] this Saturday. I’ll buy a drink for anyone who comes and says hi to me, all you have to do is show up and not be a dick.ā€

A ton of people showed up and it was a pretty good party. Then 20 years went by. People fell off, new folks showed up, some hooked up, some got into fights, some made up, some didn’t, some died. 20 years is a long, long time, but I’m still on good terms with almost all of them.

Screenshot 2025-11-17 at 2.41.54 PM

I wonder sometimes if it comes down to this. That’s what it says on the REAPER forums under the name of every single member (where it would say ā€œNewbieā€ or ā€œHome Away From Homeā€ on a forum, or ā€œLives for Gearā€ on GS).

Maybe it’s silly, but it seems like those 4 words do have an effect when people reply to each other.

31 Likes

Unfortunately, some people will use that reminder as a weapon rather than a consideration and perhaps the reaper forum just has fantastic mods who make a difference, as the mods here do.

Without them I can’t imagine the level of bullshit we would be openly subjected to.

9 Likes

I must say that giving myself the privilege several years back, of simply not responding to E’nauts i have on ignore has been refreshing.

The reason i chose to ignore in the first place seldom changes with their later posts, and something close to half of those i ignore, get themselves banned anyway.

3 Likes

It might also be an interesting exercise to consider people one is about to put on ignore as human beings with feelings.

There are certainly times when it’s necessary to use the ignore function, because someone is being inappropriate or simply won’t drop an argument. However, my sense is that using ignore is also done a little too quickly sometimes, for example when the person being ignored is simply disagreeing, but not in an abusive or overly repetitive way.

It’s certainly a nice convenience (a ā€œprivilegeā€, as @Jukka said) to put someone on ignore. From the other side, it can be less nice to piece together by inference that one has been set to be ignored when it wasn’t expected. To not realize that ignore has been turned on, and offer several civil posts (or even shows of support) and get silence in return, from someone previously on speaking terms, and hence to gradually guess that one has been put on ā€œignore,ā€ comes as an unpleasant surprise.

I certainly support other people’s right to use the ignore function (some posts are too nasty to endure) but I very rarely use it. I think it’s a tool that should be used with care.

edit: This post isn’t directed at King Duppy, to be clear. KD’s post just sparked a general thought about ignoring people…

edit2: Change ā€œmutingā€ a user to ā€œignoring,ā€ per @Jukka’s clarification below.

8 Likes

I don’t mute users but I do mute threads I have zero interest in! Great feature! Especially those threads that have dumpster fire written all over them!

10 Likes

I don’t mute anyone, i am only dropping my pretty insignificant attention from what they post, with the ignore function.

Another thing besides not responding, and i don’t feel required to respond to anyone ever, is i never ever tell anyone they are being ignored. ( In fact i frequently like posts, when i click thru, and often enough, un-ignore posters. ). And i am perfectly fine with anyone ignoring my posts as well should they so choose.

BTW : In this forum the label the forum creators used is : muting for threads, and ignoring for posters. The mods get to mute posters – with suspensions, temporarily or forever.

ADDED :

I wonder if anyone has muted me.

What does the post above mine say?
/s

11 Likes

I notice more than a few times the mods mute a poster, by changing their user name, ususually just by a letter, often in humorous ways. I am not sure the reason for this rather than the more usual 100 year suspension, nor am i naming any names.

2 Likes

IMG_2037

2 Likes

Ah, understood.

1 Like

It still tickles for me to think that somewhere out there is a person who fancies themselves fully matured but got so worked up over something @kingmidas posted—that they tapped (mute) out.

I imagine if there is such a guy, with his IRL feelings attached to whatever random screen name; he must look and sound just like Roy Kent from Ted Lasso.

Gets all flustered won day and the voice in his head says ā€œOY! Silence @Kingmidas! See how you like Mute ya bloody Wanka!ā€ :eyes::sob:

I ain’t buying it. No way anywon’s using that button fr.

FTR: I’m not a fan of trolls or online tough guys who exist to annoy people. I imagine them all as Roy Kent when I read their posts because I think that character is hilarious.

4 Likes

I’m going to mute you soon! You keep talking me into getting another MPC!

4 Likes

tmp

4 Likes

Sorry, I can’t read this, I’ve muted you! Ha!

1 Like