Mutes in scenes?

when using scene it seem impossible to mute trackson a certain scene. Do i have to go through each track and turn down volume? It would be so handy to be able to just use the mutes in the scenes if i, say just want two tracks playing in a certain scene.

3 Likes

+1
It would be also really nice to be able to mute and unmute tracks while pressing the Performance mode pads. For build-ups and breakdownsā€¦

1 Like

+1 at the moment i use the volume parameter of each track i want to mute!

What? You can still play a scene and mute tracks in the mute tabā€¦

iā€™ve been doing this too - problem is a track is one of the paired track, the ā€˜silentā€™ trigs can still choke the other track in the pair. iyswim.
would be great to be able to lock proper mutes to scenes.
at the moment, iā€™m considering using my OT to sequence my fills/build-ups. need to do some experimentsā€¦

1 Like

+1 as well! Applying all those volume changes is bummer and you use up all the available scene/performance locks so quickly.

you can lock multiple tracks VOL in a single scene/performance pad - i think each pad can lock 40 parameters or thereabouts?

the main issue for me in using track vol to mute/unmte is that you have to be spot-on with your timing, or you end up cutting off/cutting in on the tail of sound/s, which can sound crap

using the ā€˜realā€™ mutes avoids the issue with tails - trigs only play if the track is unmuted when the sequencer hits them. this is why itā€™d be great to be able to plock the actual track mutes, or some other way to silence them, which stopped them trigging - maybe by letting the perf/scene pad plock the track masks on/off?

mute groups could also be a solution - i can see an easy-ish wat to implement thing by using the FUNC + PAD method in the mutes page, similar to the way the perf and scene editing is doneā€¦?

that said, i wonā€™t hold my breath on this one. work around and hope something comes down the pipe to help us, but donā€™t count on it :stuck_out_tongue:

you can lock multiple tracks VOL in a single scene/performance pad - i think each pad can lock 40 parameters or thereabouts?

the main issue for me in using track vol to mute/unmte is that you have to be spot-on with your timing, or you end up cutting off/cutting in on the tail of sound/s, which can sound crap

using the ā€˜realā€™ mutes avoids the issue with tails - trigs only play if the track is unmuted when the sequencer hits them. this is why itā€™d be great to be able to plock the actual track mutes, or some other way to silence them, which stopped them trigging - maybe by letting the perf/scene pad plock the track masks on/off?

mute groups could also be a solution - i can see an easy-ish wat to implement thing by using the FUNC + PAD method in the mutes page, similar to the way the perf and scene editing is doneā€¦?

that said, i wonā€™t hold my breath on this one. work around and hope something comes down the pipe to help us, but donā€™t count on it :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]
True, and if I want a scene to essentially solo a track, (and I have one or two scenes like that on a pattern) then you quickly eat up all avail locks. I guess my frustration is with the limitation itself, but allowing scenes to mute/unmute would be awesome (although Iā€™m thinking its a pipe dream as well :slight_smile: )

This would be sooo useful
I hope this gets implemented one day

You can remote control both scenes and mutes. Not ideal but if you donā€™t mind mind an extra controller, works really well.

ā€œScene selectā€ is on a single CC#, so it is simple, one MIDIknob/fader assignment.
I did this often with my JLC FaderMaster, but eventually got fast enough at moving between the scene and mute page that it was unnecessary.
And thatā€™s my advice - do some drills, get fast!

3 Likes

Iā€™m trying to figure out how to use scenes to mute triggers on tied tracks.
I know you can reduce the volume all the way down effectively removing it from the mix but the trigs still trig which will still negate a trig on the tied track (ie the hats).
Any ideas?

chain/song mutes could be of use to you

1 Like

Standalone they would be but Iā€™m using the dark trinity and the OT is handling the song arrangement.

Scenes wonā€™t work for that.
In your case you can use an OT midi track and send cc 94 (track mute) on the appropriate track channel, Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s any value=mute and then after any value=unmute, or perhaps a certain range will mute and the rest will unmute, havenā€™t testedā€¦

That was how I had it setup previously but the issue is OT doesnā€™t have enough tracks to cover all 12 mutes on RYTM.
I get why Elektron chose the same cc for mutes and you can use different channels per track but different ccs per track on the same channel wouldā€™ve been a better choice in my opinion.
I have a Korg Radias that actually allows you to define what CC a parameter is. That would be fantastic if Elektron allowed that. Perhaps a future OB update would allow itā€¦

The only way I can think of at the moment besides programming AR song mode the same as OT arranger and automating mutes there would be to set up 8 midi tracks for the tied tracks and have one of those tracks also send a scene cc where the scene mutes the rest of the tracks. There goes all your midi tracks though unless per OT part you know youā€™ll only need to mute and unmute some of the tied tracksā€¦

To just mute single trigs as @Lieder wants (very short mutes) this is quite some effort ā€¦

Thatā€™s how I read it at first tooā€¦ Almost sugested looking into trig mutes which is an AR featureā€¦
Butā€¦ On AR the choke trackā€™s trigs interfere with each other unless you mute and unmute them with the pads or CCā€™s, which basically trig mutes the entire track. He wanted to mute entire tracks using a scene targeting amp vol but that doesnā€™t work as the track trigs still interactā€¦

Bumping this up to the top again as surprised this still hasnā€™t been implemented by Elektron!

Could be pretty simple, auto channel CC number 94, instead of it being a toggle between 127 and 0 to mute and umute the currently selected channel, you could just have a series of toggles for all pads instead, e.g;

0 = BD1 unmute
1 = BD1 mute
2 = SD2 unmute
3 = SD2 mute
4 = RS3 unmute
5= RS3 Muteā€¦
etc.

This would be great (for dark trinity workflow) as you could use the Octatrack conditional triggers to switch between mute states all within one pattern, no need for song mode. This would be so much better than the current workaround which is to use up patterns in the octatrack just to build up patterns.

The only other current workaround is to have the Rytm as the master and run song mode from that, which isnā€™t ideal for lots of reasons

1 Like