Mutable Instruments Beads

Can’t wait to pick up this new shimmer reverb from mutable instruments

7 Likes

Looking forward to all the reverb-drenched demos.

1 Like

Haha wow, she really hated clouds huh? This looks awesome!

Watching some youtube demos and it doesn’t actually seem much different to clouds. A few hidden things like the random LFOs per knob and extra buffer times etc but the general knobs from Clouds are still there, if just rearranged a bit.

Edit: looking at it again and it seems it’s like half of clouds, all the other modes are now removed and we’re just left with the granular delay.

I have my delivery date set for Thursday but have a feeling I’ll be returning it.

I blitzed through the YouTube vids appearing .

Some nice plinky piano and lots of pointless drones noise bullshit… most of which will no doubt appear on band camp.
Seems like a good module … and I do appreciate lots if people like drone …
If I bought one I’d probably feed it plinky piano , sci-fi blips and retro radio stuff and be very happy for hours.

1 Like

Nice that it can be used as a sampler, and a granular one at that, with a ~4 octave pitch range, though I’d rather hear it reverberating bongo sounds and blips, bloops, and farts, with Blend at 100%.

After watching all the demos, I dig it. I like the attenurandomverters, so no CV needed if you don’t want to, or don’t have it. The character section sounds nice. The auto input gain adjustment is awesome. And the wavetable synth seems like it will be fun to play with.

Also, slightly off topic, but It’s pretty interesting that this is called Beads, and today is Fat Tuesday/Mardis Gras Day. Probably just a coincidence, but I am ready party. I haven’t been to bar in almost a year now, and I miss it. Someday, hopefully. This probably could have been called Wooden Leg, and I would have found a shot associated with it.

2 Likes

No snow in Louisiana? We’re shut down here in Texas. Worst snow/ice in history.

Anyway, Beads looks great.

1 Like

Did you lose power? I heard a lot of people in Texas lost power. I actually live in Chicago. We got 17" of snow here, and I love it. Shut it down!

1 Like

I’ve been lucky, it only goes out occasionally. Half of Austin is without power. Lots of homes without heat. No stores/restaurants open, even 7-11. Families are heating their homes with their trucks and generators. Or sleeping in their cars. Carbon Monoxide. It’s only 6 inches, but Texas was totally unprepared. Haven’t seen a single electric company truck yet. And of course no salt trucks.

3 Likes

That’s so crazy. I heard this happened because parts of Texas are on their own power grid to avoid paying federal taxes? Anyway, fingers crossed for everyone struggling to get through the cold.

1 Like

Yeah, when I saw the temps down there my jaw dropped. Seems like a “once in a 50 year” type of storm to affect you all like this so far South. I have family in the South, so I understand how a small amount of snow can shut a town down for a couple days. But when you don’t have power, and the temps are below freezing, that is even worse. And like you said, you’ve got to be careful with the alternative heating methods. May seem like a good idea at the time, but may be dangerous. I hope it all warms up and works out for you down there over the next couple days.

Texas is not interconnected with the rest of the power grid in the United States** (the Eastern and Western Interconnects) because they chose to have their own, independent statewide grid. The Western and Eastern Interconnects are regulated by the Federal government; Texas’ grid is not.

** If you know enough to know this isn’t technically true, don’t @ me. Not in the mood for Sharyland discussions tonight. :blush:

Proud to be Independent Texas!

It was 1° Fahrenheit (-17 Celsius) yesterday. It’s 23°
F now, so hopefully it warms up.

2 Likes

Dang, you got those Chicago temps, but a UPS 4 day ship away. I feel for you all down there.

1 Like

Scorched Cassette sounds fun.

9 Likes

Yeah, I dug the Sunny Tape and Scorched cassette sounds. Really a wide palette when you think about all four.

People will still love the old Clouds you’d think. Wonder if they will start to inflate on the used market? You’d expect a lot of Clouds to get listed in 3…2…1… But the smeary reverb!

I doubt it. Clouds being open source, there have been many iterations I have seen on Reverb, that aren’t from Mutable. It’s not going away anytime soon, and I doubt the price will inflate all that much.

3 Likes

Yeah fair point

1 Like