Music Tribe partner with Andertons

Also Thomann and Sweetwater

:see_no_evil: Oh no! I was going to buy a black OT from Andertons but I don’t want to support Uli :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Uli won’t make money if you buy non music tribe stuff from Anderton’s.

4 Likes

Yep, I just reread the article. At first, I thought Music Tribe had bought Andertons. Phew!

4 Likes

I guess it will be interesting to see what comes of it, I think there are challenging times ahead for the music gear industry, so on that score I think it makes sense even if not necessarily good for the wider industry.

Well, I’m guessing these stores will be told to heavily push Behringer, TC, etc, to the detriment of other brands. How that pans out in terms of sales for other brands remains to be seen. It seems a bit like a corporate Amazon-style move to out-price and ultimately break up the competition to me tho :frowning:

2 Likes

Probably, though I don’t think that Behringer/Music Tribe is for everyone, so it might not pan out how they hope.

1 Like

If I’m reading it correctly, what this really means is that behringer are not interested in doing business with small, low volume stores. They only want to sell through the big sellers, so they’re calling them “super partners” and cutting off supplies to smaller shops that don’t make enough money for them.

2 Likes

Pretty sure smaller stores will be able to sell them, maybe have to go through one of the partners though.

1 Like

This
Music Tribe have said so explicitly in a press release of their own (which I can’t find at the moment). They want to simplify their marketing chain in order to save costs, and (according to them) pass those savings on to us, the consumers.

Apparently if you cut out the smaller distributors you can make Behringer products even cheaper. I don’t see a huge industry-wide impact. If you’re a small music retailer who made a big chunk of your revenue from Behringer products then maybe. I actually think this segment can simply be replace with other cheap brands. If several other major manufacturers follow the Music Tribe model then it becomes a real game-changer. As consumers, however, our supply of ever-cheaper, ever more capable tech-toys is not at risk.

The article links to Music Tribe to Stop Selling Its Products in Most Brick-and-Mortar MI Stores which has more info.

As consumers, however, our supply of ever-cheaper, ever more capable tech-toys is not at risk.

But your ability to buy from a small local retailer (and try before you buy) might be at risk. If you’re happy to buy online from one of the giant retailers, you’ll be fine.

2 Likes

In my experience as a consumer here in the UK, most of the smaller retailers (I’m still talking about retailers with a decent online presence, such as Signal Sound or Elevator Sound) seem to have put a lot of their eggs into the modular/boutique basket. I’d be very surprised if there are many small retailers relying on shifting Beringer stock to make ends meet. I think they’ll be more worried about B’s modular ambitions, but again, I don’t think the people shopping in these stores are really that into what Beringer are offering.

I’ve used Anderton’s a bit lately and their customer service really has been excellent (super fast delivery and they dealt with a couple of problems super quickly without messing about) and I gather their YouTube videos do quite well (the ones with the excitable young fellow). I’m guessing Beringer are looking to tap into a bit of that reputation/reflected glory. The same goes for Sweetwater and Thomann, I guess.

2 Likes

Totally agree. I shop with Andertons because the price is usually good and the customer service is always top notch.

I’m still wondering why SW won’t put a page up for any of the new Korg synths. yet there’s all kinds of pages for unreleased/unavailable B synths (and if you search for the new Korgs, these B synths come up first). I’m guessing it’s due to where the influence and money are coming from…

Yes, as I said, if a lot of other companies follow this business model it would be a big change. Having said that, musical instrument stores sell mostly stuff that people actually want to try (think drum-kits, clarinets, digital pianos), so synth aficionados can tag along. If (for example) Roland go the Music Tribe rout, they will just lose market-share to Yamaha and Korg. I think brick and mortar music stores will stick around and I don’t care if they stop selling Music-Tribe stuff. If the urge to buy a Behringer DI overtakes me I will order from Thomann.

1 Like

I guess it make sense for Music Tribe, keeps their operations simpler, so therefore reduces cost, if they are looking at it as a means to further reduce their selling price then that will be good news for Music Tribe customers. However I don’t really think that a small reduction in their already cheap prices will tempt people who are not into their gear.

In short people who don’t buy Music Tribe products have reasons other than price.

4 Likes

I wonder if this explains the current Blowout Sale at Perfect Circuit in the US? Those prices are ridiculously low.

1 Like

I read that there is a shortage of IC fab capacity - i see that at least the ARM vendors dont have raspberry PI compute boards available - how other arm chips are affected i dont know - there was a recent article in heise (german tech magazin) which stated that a lot of the industry is affected by this - also car vendors etc.

I assume that a lot of music technology is affected by this shortage aswell.

Got a link?

if true, all the more reason to support Perfect Circuit.

1 Like