Music that's a bit different than what we normally get here

Hey everyone, my name’s Colby. I’ve been making music for a while now (I had a Myspace music page at one point), and I’ve been online just as long, too. It’s cool to be a part of this community, it brings me back to the days pre-Reddit when subject specific forums were king. Any way, that’s a brief intro to myself.

I release music under my own name and also as “Seagoat” and I wanted to share some of my new tracks with you. I figure I’ll add anything else that comes later this year here, as well.

This isn’t the style of music typically posted here, but there is a decent amount of synth/Elektron stuff happening in each track that I will explain briefly here. I thought you guys might like to hear something different and see synths used in a way not typically found here.

Jesus Is My Boyfriend - The beat on this track comes from the Digitakt. 100% of the textural sounds were built using the OP1 and it’s tombola sequencer run through Soundtoys. The bass line is the MS20 mini. (I use the MS20 on every single track). Then the pads come from the Digitone and I believe a bit of a Prophet 08 module, if I’m remembering what I did correctly.

Hell - The MS20 is the main synth here, for the bass line. It’s sequenced on Logic Pro. The drums are modular drum samples sequenced in Logic. No Elektron gear on this one :frowning:

Love You Well - Drums are all Digitakt. I put an LFO on the snare part that gives it a cool shifting feeling. Again, the MS20 is doing the bass. Some more OP1 texture and then the Prophet 08 is doing a little bit of work as well.

Eye For An Eye - MS20 bass line, sequenced by Logic. Digitakt drums. Lots of OP1.

The main takeaway from these tracks (and the other 6 or 7 done in these sessions) is that I love the Digitakt and it’s probably my favorite piece of gear next to the MS20 mini. It’s such a useful tool in every regard to creating music. Keep in mind that during these recordings I stupidly avoided Overbridge so I had to record each of the Digitakt parts individually, slice them, and loop them properly. It was a beautiful waste of time. Also, I did end up selling the OP1 right after all this because I was only ever using it for texture and basic sounds. It’s a really cool… thing… but a 1200 dollar thing? Not so sure.

Feel free to ask any questions about what’s going on here. You can also hear the old Seagoat album on bandcamp, too.

Here is the link:

It’s also on Apple Music, Spotify, etc.

10 Likes

Hi Colby.
Excellent production and I enjoyed reading the what-made-what text.
And you’re right that this is not the kind of music most people get here to listen, but if someone uses Elektron machines for any kind of music, I for one want to listen.

I like it too:)

Got a nice meandering underwater dreamlike quality. I like it.

And I don’t think it’s too different to worry about. It’s got synths, people will be happy

1 Like

Thanks both of you, very nice of you to say

2 Likes

Really great stuff. Have you heard of Beacon? Kinda reminds me of their stuff. U should check them out if haven’t already. Keep it up :+1:

I just checked out Beacon and I’m super impressed. Thanks for turning me on to them.

1 Like

I love them, one of the tidier modern acts around imo :slight_smile:

Lovely stuff Colby, enjoyed that. Guitars a bit Cocteaus-y in places, which is never a bad thing in my mind :slight_smile:

Interesting to hear about your fondness for the MS20 as well - that’s a synth I’ve fancied for a while, it seems to have a really nice personality to it.

Off to check out Beacon now!