Music Production for people not into Micro-Management

When I get bored of working at a song, I just throw everything into Ozone mixing plugin, with a reference track close to what I have in mind.

And, as I never finish a track, once I got enough pieces of jam I just arrange them as a short mix.

Then, an analogue picture with bad angle, boobs, concrete, neons ; et voilà.

Have you a link for this workflow. It sounds interesting.

I think this is one of the reasons my gear sits idle days on end.

1 Like

Your right here. I never thought about it like this.

1 Like

Hmm, not really. Maybe there’s some video I could dig up. Was there a particular part of the process that interested you or just the whole thing?

Then I see artists like Ylva and Eaves and many others who can just create masterpieces on the fly using this attention to detail method (sigh).

1 Like

The whole thing if youve got anything. But parts of the process are always helpful too.

On the fly. One day…one day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Its probably never on the fly but hours and hours and days and weeks of effort in actual fact.

4 Likes

Never forget how many hours of training and how many takes are involved in these videos.

2 Likes

On the slug

1 Like

Yes on the slug and I don’t have the patience to ride that slug.

A ducks feet under the water springs to mind :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get the impression that it’s all in the preparation in the case of @Eaves agreed, but his output is too prolific to be spending days or weeks on one track. Anyway, maybe he’ll chime in about his process rather than me guessing about these things.

4 Likes

Theres one

3 Likes

You’d get affordable rates and great quality if you hire me. :joy:

2 Likes

FWIW I don’t agree that Elektron boxes are like computer programming. I get lost in the Elektron boxes in a different, more fun way.

However, I’ve only been doing this for months, not years, and I don’t hold myself to any standards as a musician, producer, whatever. I’m a middle aged computer programmer who loves music.

Maybe this is my workflow for making “music” in an Elektron set up:

1. jam (this is the noodle/creative/trying to express a feeling/discover a feeling bit)
  2. arrange, where the jam has to take shape into at least one part, maybe two
  3. expand (use another instrument, for me A4 then AR or AR then A4)
  4. Play it, learn to perform it as single take
  5. record it
  6. listen and take notes
  7. revise and re-record (repeat until bored)
  8. stick on soundcloud and never go back to it, who cares?!

Only stage 5 and 6 are on the laptop

As another 'naut said in another thread, the above is a funnel, not everything gets through every step. But with most probems the deal is expressing what the issue really is. I have no goal beyond enjoying and getting “better” (whatever that means)

What are you trying to achieve? If you want polished music you’ll have to either polish (which if you do, you will get better at/faster at) OR pay for polish OR find a collaborator who likes to polish.

Maybe you don’t want polished music? Everything sounds so pristine and over produced anyway.

4 Likes

Im all over it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Or find somebody who speaks polish.

Polish and polish are different…except at the start of a sentance.