Music memes (Part 1)

I was just badly articulating the idea that it can be a conscious choice for an artist to embrace a very crude form of art and make it their own because there is something in it that just pleases them…

2 Likes

Chords can be used by anyone… melody can not be simply repurposed it’s against the law…
My song has the exact melody and notes and note length as Swedish house mafia…
Did they copy me I don’t think so? did they listen to an old CD to get an idea maybe?
They definitely copied the breakdown wub sound…

doubt they copied me but it’s the exact same melody
Coincidences do happen

Oh, sorry ! I thought you were talking about novice sound design, not actually chords and melodies!!!
Weird! Drop the links! But I’ll put this in another conversation then.

my song is well over ten years old… im a bit wasted but yeah its the same musical idea in the same register and same notes… i made this as a music novice playing around with fruity loops

not a good look for shm thats my point

4 Likes

Yours is better

1 Like

thanks man… better than Swedish house mafia bro! lol
my point is and the reason its posted in music memes is because how similar it is

Yeah I was going to suggest you lawyer up! But then I listened, and they’re similar, but imho not enough that you could squeeze them for royalties :joy: you still did that idea better though

1 Like

its the exact same notes and note lengths and repeating phrase if you listen carefully.
the song is not the same though.

12 notes. If you didn’t utilize any microtonal scales. There are relatively few palatable melodies and rhythms in pop music, similarities will occur.

Edited because of writers incompetence

1 Like

im not going to sue shm just think its weird they have a similar melody for such a huge group in 2022

1 Like

exactly copy cats

35 Likes

These chords are pretty common, I’m almost sure I’ve heard them before. And this sound is a bit close to Daft Punk somehow.
I mean, it’s not experimental music :wink:
Yeah, I would bet on pure coincidence indeed.

Good track btw :thup:

2 Likes

im pretty sure it is a coincidence… not going to sue them haha
that track is really old school… hearing those notes and hearing it on the radio
triggered me though made me compare my old track

1 Like

imageonline-co-add-text.jpg (1)

9 Likes

ive always been of the thought that there are only so many patterns possible.

you are BOUND to replicate something that has been done. its inevitable. BUT, it will have your own flavor.

EXAMPLE: I did this piece of shit loop…a buddy of mine likes. a couple years later, he had just gotten home from seeing the new TRON debacle of a film. he told me that DAFT PUNK owes me money…they stole my loop. granted the loop was posted on line…and DAFT PUNK are notorious for '“lifting” samples, and it DID sound similar… but there is NO WAY I had been bitten. PURE COINCIDENCE.

…end of story.

just keep doing what yer doing, a teacher told me once. your creations come from all your past experiences whether remembered or subconscious. don’t worry if something you do resembles something someone else did. if you do, you’ll never get anything done.

'B’latantly ripping someone off however is no good :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Tell this to Bob Dylan. I can only imagine the first time he heard Hendrix play his song… must have been quite a smash in the stomach ^^

But I guess it’s not ripping, though.

3 Likes

I would have agreed, but I just saw an avante garde jazz clarinet performance tonight, and it turns out it’s possible to play new patterns that have never been heard before.

How the #### do you make a clarinet polyphonic?

3 Likes

I got the DP vibes too. They’re coming from Starlight’s Music Sounds Better With You. A Bangalter side project. Hard to believe that track came out in 1998! It’s 24 years old now! And it’s still bumpin’…

I think I’ve narrowed down what’s going on here to these possibilities:

A) We’re all getting old.

B) SHM has essentially created a cover songs album, with working title: “Now That’s What I Call ‘90’s House!”

C) Music is in a death spiral of homogenization.

D) The Music Sounds Better With You sounds better.

E) All of the above.

6 Likes

RDT_20220430_0732053814779270109819134~2

17 Likes