Music making dilemma

haha love this! can’t wait

Protip: buy nothing. With a Digitakt and a computer, you have everything you need if times are tough. If you like playing keys, buy a keystep (not pro, not MK2… just a good ol’ keystep!) to play the DT. And that’s it.

Now, learn the DT like it was the only other human left on Earth with you.

4 Likes

What was wrong with the Nord A1? That’s a decent sounding and complex synth. You previously said the Digitone wasn’t inspiring to you and that you didn’t like the FM sound. What has changed since then?

Consider saving your money!

3 Likes

If times are tough, don’t buy anything. Try to work with what you have. Constraints can be a powerful creativity booster.

Other options : buy used gear, like a digitone. Or a powerful minisynth like micromonsta 1 (or even the brand new one, it’s still cheaper than a digitone, and considering your current setup, you don’t really need an extra sequencer like the digitone one).

1 Like

Despite what I said above, this is the advice you should be following! Try working through the winter with only DT and see where you can take it. Take some long 33 second samples off YouTube and see what you can do with them. For example, for this I took some choir sections from Lord of the Rings and messed with sample start points to create a loose jam on Rytm, which is even more limited as a sampler than DT. It’s nothing special at all, but it does show that a sampler can do anything imaginable!

1 Like

^---- this

Sampling is a noble deep art form, full of possibilities. Don’t have a synth ? Sample it !
And stay away from sample packs. Always use records, vids, radio etc.

2 Likes

So you tried the “dark trinity”, that did not work out, then you bought a Digitakt, a Blofeld and a modular case, sold the case and the Blofeld, bought a Nord Lead, sold it again and now you consider a Digitone (which was not appealing to you at first).

I’d say listen to the advice here: Don’t buy anything. You don’t have a music making dilemma but a “I must buy gear, then I can make music” dilemma. I can already tell you the outcome: No gear you will buy with this intention will get you there.

Save your money for more important things now, use the time to fully master the DT (elektron devices take time) and see what the future brings you, take your time! (and be patient)

12 Likes

:100:

6 Likes

I agree with everyone here suggesting not buying anything. You have a Digitakt, which is really fun and more than capable of making full tracks on its own. You also have a guitar, which is great sampling material for the Digitakt. If you already have a DAW, you could sample the plugins into the Digitakt, or better yet (in my opinion), sequence them from the Digitakt. The latter practically turns your Digitakt into a 8 track sampler + 8 synth groovebox.

You have the tools to make music right now, but it seems like you’re deep into Gear Acquisition Syndrome. All we can do is encourage you and point you to tutorials, but it’s on you start enjoying the amazing kit you already have.

Edit: The Digitakt is awesome (in case I didn’t say that already)

3 Likes

And while you’re at it, listen to all the wonderful things @Eaves has done with just Digitakt alone. Plenty of inspiration there! :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

Use your digitakt to sequence Operator in Ableton effectivily turning your Digitakt into a Digitone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thanks guys, I’ve put my plans on hold for now. I think I was just looking for something fun to jam with rather than actually produce tracks.

I have ableton lite do you think its worth investing the money in the full version or stick with the limits?

1 Like

:man_facepalming:

6 Likes

This is hilarious. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Work with DT alone, and maybe feed it come things from Ableton Live Lite and YouTube and your FM radio. Try something like making all the sounds of track from a single sample copied across all 8 tracks. Little challenges like that. Keep it fun, and hold off from spending - you’ll give yourself too many options and not be any better off. Come back here once you’ve written 5 different patterns over the next week or two. Good luck!

(Also, @ everyone else, come on, it’s not very nice to take the piss out of someone imo)

1 Like

true…

1 Like

I recently purchased a bunch of gear (2 items which are immediately going back on sale for a loss :(…) -however, I got an Audiothingies P6 at a great price… this is a GREAT synth. Very easy to program despite its size. If you’re looking for something cheap I would go for the MicroMonsta 2 without hesitation.

1 Like

Nah, stick with Lite. Seriously, when times are tough, keep money for the most important things. Getting more gear / soft is not one of them. And as said before, DT is already plenty fun.

I was working with Ableton Live Lite 4 years. It is enough. There is 100 times more possibilities than on any gear that people used to write greatest hits 30 years back, including contemporary gear.

Over last 5 years I had bought Korg Electribe ea1, Moog Mother 32, Digitakt…
Then I sold everything and bought Octatrack and since then, during only this year I’ve made even more music then last 5 years altogether. But please don’t buy Octatrack, you won’t master it, not in one evening, not in one week, not in one month, only one year.

1 Like

Just wait. Do nothing. When the time is right you wont have to ask you will know.

1 Like