Music making dilemma

…i’d also say…get rid of that empty case…get rid of the takt even…

stay itb…get a decent interface…some speakers…a decent keyboard controler with some additional knobs to assign…record ur guitar…nothing too special…just little stuff and lots of sounds from abusing it…get nifty with some of those recordings in ableton…treat them like synthvoices…find new sonic ways…lean back and wait for better days to come for sure…

1 Like

I went ahead and got the Nord Lead A1 as my one and only synth to pair with the Digitakt

Have I made the right call? also any tips would be awesome

You can get along way with the digitakt alone. Download Adventure Kids Single Cycle Waveforms library and let Digitakt really dig in to them. You can create some really nice synth sounds with just that.

Ooh, you should definetly get rid of the case. Now is not the time to go modular for you, it takes such a huge amount of time just to research what modules to get and once o you’ve bought them you realize that you bought the wrong ones.

I’m 9 months into modular and I’ve just started to get a set up which I like.

My tips are to stick with that setup for at least six months. Do not add more gear. The Nords (I have the much older Lead 2X) are superb instruments and they sound amazing. If you can’t make music with a laptop, DT and Nord Lead A1, it’s not going to change by switching things in and out. Only get something else if you’ve really hit the limits of what can be done. But as I say, that setup covers everything imaginable. Get creative!

4 Likes

curious why you went for that model, I’ve been reading and quite a few people are vouching for the older model

One came up locally (which is very rare in Malta) at a good price - I did a straight swap for my less-than-perfect condition Digitone. 20 voices is luxurious compared to Elektrons. Also, as a huge fan of Autechre, I couldn’t resist going for something they are famed for using alongside the Nord G2. Regardless, your A1 should do everything needed and more. No FX on the Lead 2X, for example.

Edit: if you really want to delve into my thought process:

1 Like

This isnt a music making dilemma. Its a gear buying dilemma.

16 Likes

It’s tough to recommend things without knowing what kind of music you make or hope to make.
Me personally, a nice realisation for me recently was that processing can be just as productive, or creatively inspiring, as sound sources. I agree modular can be daunting, but in lieu of some synths and still wanting that modular approach, I’ve recently found guitar pedals to be extremely satisfying for expanding sonic palette, the Digitakt or Mac can then take things further with chopping, arranging and editing. Good luck!

1 Like

Digitone. Why?
A: nice investment, especially when boughy second hand. If you need cash in near future it can easily be sold for the same amount
B: Modular is mainly mono synth, it’s possible to do chords but if you want a multi analog oscillator, envelope, filter setup you’re wallet itself has to be sold.
C: if you wanna do modular, sell that case, buy some rails, wood and some busboards. Your done under €90,-
D: modular is a great experience, you get lost in time, money and not to forget money. You’ll end up in the moment and rarely a finished song if that’s what your aiming for
E: you can plug your guitar in one of Digitone’s input and use reverb, delay and chorus!
F: it’s great to sequence VST’s with dt and dn . Just make a template in DAW. Power of monitor and jam semi dawless.

1 Like

I say sell everything and try to stick with one thing for a while. You can’t buy your way into making interesting music, unless you pay someone to make it for you. You need to work at it and buy gear out of necessity rather than hoping for a feeling of completion when you finally have the “perfect” setup. People have done much in the way of making incredible music with very little. It’s the person, not the gear.

5 Likes

100%.
Do this. Make 20 tracks. See what is lacking, examine, and act accordingly. Add or subtract what is needed, repeat protocol.

But unfortunately I don’t think this OP is that interested in taking this advice.

because:

again - 100%

No one can answer that question but you, so why bother asking it?

9 Likes

All you need is Ableton Live Suite and a MIDI keyboard. The instruments and FX are top notch. Max for Live is endless possibilities.

I could sell everything I own and only use what comes with Ableton and make great music with that. Actually I’d probably make more music if I did that.

All this other gear is just inspiration or a different way of working. Blinky lights for a vibe in the room. Just make some music until you know what you want for sure.

This is just my opinion, everyone has their own reasons for what they think helps or doesn’t help. You don’t need much at all in reality.

8 Likes

I was missing some keys in my setup and now I can use this beast as a midi controller too.

I know it felt like I had everyone on the bend but a Digitone really wasn’t all that inspiring to me for some reason FM synthesis doesn’t really call out to me.

I’ve messed around on the A1 and it sounds really good so far. Definitely need to read the user manual.

I probably shouldn’t have got this considering we are approaching another lockdown but I guess moneys there to be spent in search of some sort of happiness.

Looking forward to sharing my music with you guys and appreciate the patience haha

1 Like

When in doubt, scale down to a smaller setup and learn it better. This has helped me many times. There’ll always be stuff to buy on a sunnier day.

4 Likes

an update is I got rid of the lead A1 but I kinda regret it. My brother moved back in with us and I had to give up the living room. I decided to move everything to my bedroom and keep the guitar and amp seperate from the electronic music downstairs to scale down.

I’m now thinking of getting something next month to compliment my current setup of a digitakt and an FM radio. I don’t have much space and wondering if the Digitone would still be the right call. I’ve seen the Micromonsta 2 out would this be good? I think its not multitimberal

I can’t remember if I said it above, but I’ve definitely said it in plenty of other threads: DT and DN are made for each other. They’re fantastic as a pair and together they take up hardly any space. Just be careful that you truly research things this time, though, because you’re gradually losing more and more money by constantly switching things out. Watch loads of YouTube videos, make sure it is what you want, opinions on here won’t help you.

4 Likes

cheers lad! I’ll do that

1 Like

Digitone is a brilliant piece of kit. You can build full songs on it. If it was my only synth I’d be well happy with it. With a bit of thought and patience you’ll be surprised how much you can do with it, especially when you factor in conditional triggers and sound locking etc.

Did you sell the case in the end?

Yeah I sold the case. Gonna get into modular at some point it just won’t be now.

For now its all about the Digitone

1 Like

When you get it make a brew, sit down on the sofa with headphones on head and DN on lap. Programme a simple sequence then start investigating. That’s hours gone just there. Then bear in mind you’ve got three more internal tracks and another 4 midi track. It’s all the synth/sequencer you need for all sorts of stuff. It’s still my go to sequencer and I’ve got a ton of other gear.

I’m looking to dip my toe into the modular world myself but my eye keeps being drawn to the Digitone Keys. Another DN? With keys? Yes please!

1 Like