Music gear on the floor

Bit of an odd topic here…

I find that I’m most productive when I’m sitting down on the floor with an Elektron box or two. I just find it so much more creative than sitting at a desk.

Problem is, my place has carpeted floors.

Can static from a carpet and/or wood floor damage Elektron/other music gear? Would small wooden panels or trays be enough to protect things?

Weird question, I know, but the last thing I wanna do is fry my gear.

Thanks!

Does it not hurt your back and neck after a while.

Know plenty of people who set-up on floor, never known it to cause issues.
Dust (and stepping on or kicking kit) is a bigger problem…

I love floor work too, but most of the time it’s a no go with young kids around. They always only want the toy you are playing with… :smiley:

1 Like

A lot of people have been putting Elektron machines into a bag and dragging them around the world for well over a decade now. I think you’ll be ok on the bedroom floor, just watch your step.

Maybe use some kind of raised platform, cardboard box, wood plank or something like that?

I use a TV box, so I essentially have a desk-like surface, raised off the ground about 6 inches. I put some hard Styrofoam at various spots inside of it so it would be sturdy and not cave in. Also I put something under my Digitakt so it’s tilted forward a bit.

This wouldn’t really work as well if I wanted stuff “around” me in like a half-circle or arc of some kind, but for my very minimal setup at the moment (Digitakt, synth, laptop) it works

EDIT Also on the “music on the floor” topic, I wonder if it’s more fun for some people (me included) because it feels more like being a kid, playing with toys on the ground?

Don’t enjoy sitting on the floor longer than 5 minutes. My knees and back are not made for that :wink:

1 Like