Multiple device midi in

Hey gang.

So I’m currently using octa’s midi input with novation circuit (syncing tempo, transposing and locking scales for an external synth).
Now I’m thinking of implementing a faderfox controller to control the octa’s mixer/effects. The only problem is how to connect it exactly :slight_smile:

I guess midi splitters and thru boxes won’t work? Any ideas? If I use circuit’s midi in maybe, will that work? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!!

Most of the Faderfox controllers have merge functionality, so you probably don’t need another box unless you want it to control both the Circuit and the Octatrack.

Would you mind explaining what exactly you you want to control with what?

If you want the Circuit and Faderfox to control the OT, but Faderfox not control the Circuit, you probably don’t need anything else and can go Circuit -> Faderfox (with merge enabled) -> OT

2 Likes

I think a MIDI merge box would work, just need to make sure the Circuit is only sending sync and transport and the Fader Fox is only sending CC data?

Otherwise sounds like a job for a MIDI patchbay. MOTU makes great ones. I’m still using a quite old XT 128 and it does basically anything I want.

1 Like

That works fine with the Faderfox UC4. I’m taking transport control out of my DAW to the Morningstar MC-6, sending that merged data out to the UC4, and that merged data to the OT. No issues at all, it should work just as well with the Circuit.

1 Like

Best forum ever. Okay, so yeah, no need controlling the circuit with ff, just going to use it’s input to send cc to octatrack. I’m gonna try skipping the merge box alltogether, in that case. Wasn’t even aware of them :slight_smile: Thanks guys!

1 Like

But yeah, if you want deeper MIDI routing and don’t mind a 1u rack unit, IMO the absolute best price/performance is to get a 90s MOTU Midi Time Piece 2. The non-USB version is really cheap since it won’t work as an interface on modern computers ($40-$80 easily, probably less if you really look), but you can edit 99% of the routing and processing from the front panel (and the 1% you can’t isn’t anything that matters for using it standalone anyhow).

You absolutely don’t need anything like that for what you want to do, though.

1 Like