Multi-tracking stereo question

Digitakt + Overbridge, Cubase 9 on PC

Hey Elektronauts,

Long time Elektron user ( octatrack, machine drum, mono machine, ect) first time digitakt user.

I just picked up the Digitakt today and started setting it up to multitrack record via overbridge in cubase. So far I’ve got it all working, but I’m noticing that things like panning and the FX sends are not being recorded onto the individual tracks, they are only coming out of the main output track. Has anyone figured out a way around this?

P-locked Reverbs & Panning have always been a big part of how I work on the elektron machines so any help would be awesome. Thanks!

That’s how it multi-tracks: Stereo mains and 8 mono tracks.

You have to PAN in your DAW. In the Digitakt, rout only the SEND FX (Reverb and Delay) to the MAIN. In your DAW, create an Audio Track for the Send FX (Audio from Digitakt, Post FX). This way, you will have 8 individual mono Tracks and a Stereo Track for all the Effects coming from your 8 Tracks.

4 Likes

That’s how it multi-tracks: Stereo mains and 8 mono tracks.

Apologies for the necro-bump, but is this still the case?

The latest version of Overbridge exposes a Digitakt plugin with 10x stereo channels, yet all of the individual voices from the Digitakt show the same audio in both channels.

Why does this option for the plugin exist if it doesn’t include the panning info?

Sacrificing panning automation/p-locks to record multi-track is an extremely dramatic cost that makes the opportunity not really worth it for me at all. I was hoping that with the latest updates, this might be resolved now

The only way to get your panning and fx on each individual track in DAW is to record each track one by one.

What a bummer.

Is there any way at least to get the Pan parameter to be sent over MIDI to control panning in my DAW so that I can automation-write it?

From another thread :

Thanks, this again seems promising, but in testing, it seems to fail at the core requirement: LFO and p-lock values aren’t sent over MIDI:

I’ve gotten pan set up to control track pan in Logic, which is a great first step, but I’m having the same experience as mentioned above: the LFO which is attached to Pan doesn’t prompt Overbridge (or the DT) to send CC data out to the host, which means, I can’t write automation while recording a multi-track take.

Elektron, if you’re listening, why doesn’t the Digitakt Plugin account for this when routing audio out its multiple outputs? It’s not like you have to actually send stereo data over the buss, you just need to process the control data that the plugin is already displaying in the UI…

1 Like