Multi Purpose Speaker

Hello,

Looking for a speaker option that’s semi-portable, Bluetooth/battery not required. I move around a bit in the house with my gear and would love a speaker that’ll handle the DN, MPC, and guitar. Right now I’m currently using my guitar amp, ZT lunch box. As you could imagine it’s not ideal. I’m looking for something that’ll handle a bit of bass and sound decent enough for writing/jamming. Any advice is welcome and thanks in advance.

I looked at the Behringer B205D but not sure it’ll handle much bass

1 Like

Ill just put this here!
at the price point for the used models I think it is a no brainer.
ive been using the 1st generation boom for years and recently upgraded to the 1st generation megaboom ($50)
the clarity isn’t the best but the volume and bass are nice.

my apologies if the american link is of no use to you.

Hey I use the JBL Xtreme and it sounds great with my digitakt :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use a Flip4 by JBL and it works pretty nicely. Personally I wish I went one size bigger for just a little more bass, but otherwise I’m happy to have it.

1 Like

Using a Roland Mobile Cube for years around the houses and flats I lived.

Maybe there is ‘better’ stuff around by now but I am keeping it. Good enough for me, does the job.

1 Like

ILoud is amazing for its size. I’ve had one for years, and would replace it if it finally died.

1 Like

Aiwa exos 9. Brilliant sound , fills a room, works well outdoors.

1 Like

https://minirigs.co.uk/

Bass bin option available. Made in Bristol and sound great.

2 Likes

Bose Soundlink Mini 2 is masterclass for that or wait for the IKEA stuff from TE in a few month

2 Likes

I like the sound of my UE Boom 1 but it has an annoying power save feature - a soft shutdown if input signal doesn’t exceed a certain threshold, and it takes a couple of seconds to make noise again once signal arrives. Basically makes it useless for jamming with.

2 Likes

How’s the volume with the Cube? Want to move away from the Bluetooth cause not loud enough.

JBL I have does the same thing, probably not as much but it is annoying.

LOUD enough for me and my surroundings :slight_smile:
Used by buskers too.

Review from 2014:

Edit:
I use it with guitar/bass, Reface CP, with the OT or as a monitor out for a Tascam Portastudio, or a combi of those.

I have used it lately again with my 3 year old son, fooling around in his room with a mic and the SP404. Big plus: I can leave him alone for a few minutes with it (until too loud :smiley: ), it works on rechargeable batteries and is build like a tank sturdy little all purpose and busking speaker. I would buy it again.

1 Like

Nice, sounds promising. Thanks for adding the bass comment, that’s cool as I have a UBass I’d like to incorporate. Also like that I can mount on a mic stand in my chaotic basement.

Edit: price is good too.

Yes, I love it. Bass works, I play on a Ibanez miKro - but be careful with higher volumes + boost & drive, it’s not a dedicated bass amp.

And writing this up makes me realise I still have to test the Mobile Cube with the mighty LYRA-8 AND … also get a dedicated mic stand for it. :wink: Thx.

1 Like

If I ever had a need for a portable speaker for production purposes I’d look at the Mackie Freeplay. It’s a bit pricey but it sounds good and has a bit of substance to it.

I have that unit, handles bass fine, very loud, moves a lot of air for a tiny speaker.