Multi Map Tutorial

Multi map tutorial time.

Cheers

5 Likes

Great tips!
Thank you Cuckoo. :+1:

1 Like

Great video, Cuckoo.

Question: Can the joystick affect the drum sounds in multi map mode? From what I can tell, it seems the answer is “not really.” The only thing that seems to get affected is pitch, and even then, the parameters mapped to PB do not respond.

The reason I ask is I saw you move the joystick when you were playing the multi map drums.

Thanks a lot!

PS: Is there a way to give one-time donations on Patreon?

Edit: I think I might have answered my own question. Since the joystick affects sounds at the sound level, then whatever is stored in the pooled sounds will be affected.

Thanks mate! Yeah, every sound patch responds to its own Joystick settings even in multi map mode. So it can get pretty cool.
And one-time donations is… well, you join in for a month, and opt out the next :wink: Or you ask me for my paypal address.

1 Like

Thanks man! Yes - please send me your PayPal address. PM or whatever. :slight_smile:

Cheers for that, Cuckoo.

1 Like

I’ve watched the tutorial and tried to adapt the instruction to my A4.

When I set up the multi map, all the lights above the keys on the 1 octave onboard keyboard are lit up, and I am able to trigger different sounds in the pool.

But as soon as I leave multi map edit, the A4’s onboard keyboard only triggers the track sound.

I’ve set the track midi ch. to the same as the perf channel.

A4 has no Multi Map button. There is only Multi Map edit in the Global/MidiConfig menu.

Any ideas on getting this to work with A4 using its own onboard 1 octave key buttons?

edit:
Okay, looks like it is not possible outside the MultiMap Edit menu on Analog Four
From void’s post here: Saving Multi Maps in 1.1?

you can use the multimaps outside of the multimap menu, but only with an external controller sending MIDI notes to the performance channel.

the minikeys can trig it only from inside the editor menu.

Well, shucks. Time to invest in a small midi controller, I suppose.

Still, great tutorial, Cuckoo.
Even if I have to do it in the edit menu without a controller, at least I have can access a load of sounds on a single track. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, everything is possible on the A4 except the actual Multi Map Keyboard feature. It’s a bummer, really. I think they should offer multi map on that little keyboard. But yeah, external midi is a go. Like, from something small like an OP-1, or something :slight_smile:
One of my Patreon supporters, Rozzle, wrote some handy tips on how to do it on the A4 over at my Patreon post.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/analog-keys-map-3192097

1 Like

Hi cuckoo great video!

question: I’ve got everything set up in multimap al sound in soundpool and have the regions set. just as you said in the video

but for some weird reason I cant record any of the multimap sounds on the seq.
When multi mode is off, I can rec notes from the track sounds but thats it.
did I miss something? also on which os are you running Thankz!

Thanks! Hm, that’s odd. Live recording should work. But step grid programming won’t work for some reason with multimap. Only by manually selecting sounds from the pool with the dial. I have this feeling there’s a setting for this though, whether multimap gets recorded or not. I don’t have the keys here so I can’t check at the moment.

yep odd indeed

did a double save of my projects, loaded the preset project 1 and guess what multimap works in there,
Strange thing do when I load my own projects back the multi map recording does not work,
maybe to do with something with old save of projects in older OS?

just did a (double save) the projects with different name to new slot -4 -5 with latest OS running 1.20 This did nothing for my projects ,
Then created a new project ,and multimap works, also noticed that when you go into grid mode after you live recorded a multimap seq
you can change the soundpool sound for each step but it only works after live record.

mmm so it seems I have to do some copy paste each pattern and kit between old /newprojects and manual re-locate soundpool sounds.
bummer you cant copy one projects soundpool to another new project. dus saving /lose older projects duo to OS update.

would be nice to have a copy all to option (manager) on patterns/kits/soundpool/ you select all kits by pressing the right arrow and the option shows copy to (list): choose the projects name , done.
hope that will be something for the future, at least now I know where the problem is.

This has inspired me to check out the multimap on the Monomachine as well, but not having the sound pool it doesn’t seem nearly as useful.

is there a way to setup and live record a multimapped track into the sequencer using the a4 key buttons?

I don’t think so. It works with an external midi keyboard. I haven’t tried it lately though. It would be super useful for drum kits!

With an external keyboard were you able to access multi mode? Or are you sending a midi message to the a4 to enter the multi mode that doesn’t have a button for it?

Thanks!

I watched this video because I wanted to use the multi map function. great tutorial, as always!
I set everything, it works well while in the multi map edit mode.

then I try to play directly from the mini keyboard on the A4 MKI once outside the multi map editing mode and… nothing…

what’s the point if it only works with an external keyboard?
the A4 has already a keyboard so why oh why do I need an external keyboard?

If I connect a keyboard will it at least record the sequence on the track (say kick/snare on track1)?

Also I was using Overbridge to send midi info to the A4 via Logic Pro, it works great and I thought, well, it’s like an external midi keyboard right? so the multi map should work (C0= Kick, D0 = snare in Logic Pro midi sequence) but nothing, it was the same sound all along. is it also what it is supposed to do?

You can use midi loopback (midi cable between in and out), play and record Multimap with CV or Fx track sending midi.

Analog Four/Keys Midi Loopback

2 Likes

Are you sure you are sending the right notes? Due to different octave naming schemes C0 on the A4 (midi note value 0) should be C-2 within Logic.

3 Likes

Hi, thank you for your answer!

I’ve tried and it worked!
but not sure why haha…
I can play on the FX track set as channel 8, set the midi map to track 4.
when I play on the fx track and record it will record the sequence on the fx track and on the track 4 but why? (I didn’t set anything to say to record on track 4).

why do I need to set the fx track to the performance channel 8?

though this might be helpful to sequence some drums this is a bit cumbersome as I was already sequencing other gear with the midi port through the fx channel.

Hi,

I did not know that but I couldn’t make it work still…
did you succeed in sequencing a track with a map from a sequence of the DAW?
if so it means I’m missing something…