MPE Synth/Controller options

Nope as in you think they don’t or nope as in you don’t like dsi out of curiosity?

Dave smith himself said poly after touch via midi…

And I have a 6

Do you remember what the problems were with using MPE with Micromonsta?

Earlier you said this:
“they all come up short on various necessary aspects, be it channel filtering, connectivity, modulation, proper note handling for MPE application, or they simply remain buggy and all but abandoned, etc”

Which of the above applied to Micromonsta?

Nope, as in they simply don’t support MPE, and the specs for the OB-6 and P-6 explicitly state channel (mono) aftertouch only. Rev2 as well, as far as I can tell from the specs. No mention of poly-pressure or aftertouch whatsoever in the Prophet 12 specs, though I’m sure it does respond to channel pressure at very least. Regardless, poly-aftertouch does not constitute MPE.

Cheers!

They where os updates…

Dude

There’s no Channel filtering on the MicroMonsta, and um… Hmm… I’d have to check my emails with Samuel. I can’t recall if the note handling worked properly for long pitch slides or not. It’s probably fine. I almost bought a MicroMonsta. It’s unnervingly light weight, mind you, and a bit small for grabbing in the heat of a performance, but it sounds great.

Cheers!

I see the Perfourmer listed there as MPE compatible but don’t think that’s the case. It’s a 4-part MIDI synth where you can specify any MIDI channel for any part.

the DSI synths are capable of receiving poly aftertouch , however they do not currently support MPE (you cannot do independent pitch bends per note, for example, unless you assign aftertouch to oscillator frequency). Dave Smith has said that MPE would not be that difficult to implement, and it could be done if enough people ask DSI about it. So hopefully they will add it with future firmware updates…

Well, there you go… Not MPE. :wink:

Thanks for the update though. They really should update the specs on their site.

Regardless, I’m still holding out for proper MPE.

Cheers!

With one of these you could reroute midi cc’s To make dsi and probably other synths work with MPE

1 Like

Bah! :wink:

In normal MIDI, Channel-wide messages (such as Pitch Bend) are applied to all notes being played on a single MIDI Channel. In MPE, each note is assigned its own MIDI Channel so that those messages can be applied to each note individually.

So with the midi hub as above you could route midi cc’s to individual oscillators in a poly synth in reality making any poly synth that has those midi cc controls MPE compatible.

Modular midi… I’m excited about it.

Was experimenting last night with stacked pads via Prophet 6, Virus Polar and Omnisphere controlled by the virus

30 voice poly synth/sampler

1 Like

Dude, I’m being funny with you, not antagonizing you at all. Hence the gratuitous use of the winking emoji. :wink:

I’m a full-time touring musician of 30 years, I have a ton of tech onstage with me every night… My entire life is a workaround. Besides that, I already have a working MPE rig, but it’s software-based and I hate it. As such, I am waiting, albeit impatiently, for a proper MPE hardware synth to come along…

To that end, the only thing I apposed you on, was your original comment claiming that the DSI synths supported MPE. I only meant to clarify that they don’t. No ill will whatsoever.

Cheers!

2 Likes

I’ve woken up with the flu second time ina few months so I’m a little grumbly

All good mate

That midi thing does look like an option though

1 Like

I hear that. I think I’ve had 6 or even 7 colds this year, no lie. I blame airports and ferry terminals for that. Of course, a solid night’s sleep would also be nice, but that rarely happens on the road. :upside_down_face:

I hope you get to feeling better soon…

Cheers!

1 Like

My understanding is MPE works by using a separate MIDI channel per note - so 4 notes would take up 4 MIDI channels. So a 6-note chord played with MPE would take 6 MIDI channels. So perhaps Mr. Linn’s reasoning is that because Vermona supports 4 MIDI channels, it is MPE compatible.

Of course I could be totally wrong. I defer to Mr. Linn’s expertise on the topic.

Yes, you are correct. Technically speaking, any mulittimbral synth can be configured to behave as an MPE synth, more or less. The trouble often comes from how the MIDI information is received by the synth, and how the synth was designed to handle gate, pitch, modulation, and CC’s. Most synths, for example, are expecting input from a standard keyboard, whereas MPE controllers are capable of sending far more information, in far more complex ways than the synth may be able to handle. There are a lot of edge cases to discuss with regards to such anomalies, so I’ll just ask you to trust me on that. :wink:

Cheers!

I won’t be getting an MPE controller anytime soon then.

I enjoy playing with IOS synths if hardware is not a realistic option, count me out.

Both prophet 6 and ob6 now support MPE.