MPE Compatible Software

This thread is for discussion of the use of various MPE compatible software. This includes both DAWs and the various software synths. Aspects of compatibility, and use with various MPE controllers is part of this discussion.

Obviously it is also good for highly in depth discussion of any of this to also be made in threads specifically for those software packages.

EDIT : Lists deleted.

2 Likes

we also have a list at polyexpression.com

Ive not crosschecked to see if there are any extras with your above list.

we also have a list for DAWs etc, but theres some missing there… Ive not update it for a while

one important name, that you are missing is GigPerformer
https://gigperformer.com

if you are doing live performance, this one of the best …
(think Apple MainStage but many more performance oriented features)
and yeah, MPE is an important part of it.

1 Like

This thread is not about a list, it’s about the use of this software with hardware controllers, and that sort of thing. That list is only there as a kernel for the discussion.

yeah, some of those titles, Im not sure have full MPE support.

some are debatable
e.g. Max, is not a synth, and few examples they have are MPE enabled.

some are wrong - Kyma is hardware not software :wink:

oh, and given you have Softube modular, you can add VCV rack.

There’s workarounds I believe but no native support.

yeah, thats one of the ones Id not have on the list.

I mean, you can make any VST MPE compatible if you use a host to distribute across multiple instances… something we used to do alot, but now you just give it a pass.
(a shame in Omnisphere’s case)

Great. I got this from the listed sources. It’s not about a list.

You win, i deleted the list.

I wasn’t after you deleting, I thought you might update to be more accurate :slight_smile:

I think the thing is, Roger Linn, maintains his list by what users use.
and in the early days, pre mpe, we used to do a lot of multiple instances… and that kind of counted, if they could be used like that - because we had little choice.
… that remained for for early days of mpe too.

but these days, with a plethora of MPE supported synths, I think most just stick to the ones with explicit support.

anyway , sure, I get its not about a list … but rather the discussion around it.

There’s also a smaller subset that have their presets setup for MPE.

theres quiet a lot of variation in what ‘supports MPE’ means.

e.g.
one area you’ll regularly get tripped up on is, pitchbend range.
Ive come across multiple synths (with mpe support) either incorrectly fixed at 48 for mpe, or not allowing you to go above, 12 or 24.

Ive seen some not support Y (cc74) … or still force an envelope on the main VCA (so you cannot use Z)

so yeah, the landscape is quite variable… and which work for you will partly be down to your taste, but also which controller you are using.

2 Likes

One of the problems with MIDI more generally is it only specifies the protocol for message exchange.

It doesn’t explicitly state how the receiver must respond to it and behave.

Actually, Roger has recently announced that he would no longer maintain the list, given the wider support of MPE these days.

1 Like

Makes sense; as I said they originate from days where they were hard to find, and often wasn’t even listed as a feature :slight_smile:

Even so, the Eagan Matrix comes with standard and MPE patches for Omnisphere, then Haken Audio provides three dozen Omnisphere patches that work well and make good templates to design from. Omnisphere has that “clone part 1” menu item, so making even the smallest tweak goes out to all eight channels without interrupting the workflow. I think Omnisphere compares very favorably for MPE use to, for example, the Cherry Audio MPE plugins I’ve been trying out.

indeed, I know lots of Eigenharp players that have used Omnisphere for years… basically because its such a great synth, and there was little to compare it (for certain use-cases) … so they worked around the limitation.

indeed, its great, that Omnisphere has made this simpler.

however, I did not say that Omnisphere could not be used with expressive control, I said it does not support MPE, which it does not.

and I think this is a very important distinction…
MPE focus was not technical, we have been using note per channel for years before MPE, and various workaround. rather MPE was about ‘user experience’, making it so that users can have an ‘expectation’ of plug n’ play… and not have to do things differently for every synth.
(for sure, its not perfect, but it does kind of deliver on this)

so, if we water down MPE to mean any synth that can be used expressively, and it doesn’t need to comply with the MPE protocol standard.
then frankly, I think the term MPE becomes all but useless, it does not guarantee the user anything.

dunno, but perhaps, I feel that because, I remember the hassle we used to have, when we had to do this with every synth/vst. so I really appreciate how much simpler MPE has made this.
so sorry, in my book, you only get the MPE tag, if you actually, implement MPE to make the users life simpler ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Reviving this topic to ask what MPE synths people are using on their Push 3s. More specifically, what’s good for mimicking string instruments, horns, etc?

1 Like

Equator 2.

1 Like