MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Is anyone using their MPC mostly as a sound source? The sequencer just does not really fit with the way I make music, but I like the drum programs and range of onboard FX a lot.

I’m torn between selling it and just going back to an Octatrack again, or sequencing it externally, maybe with a Pyramid or Hapax.

I like Midi LFOs and stuff to be slowly evolving with different track lengths. (Even though I was annoyed sometimes with the limitations of the Octatrack, like the way it deals with chords, it made up for it with the other stuff.)

2 Likes

I’ve been sequencing the different drum programs and key groups from my external Toraiz Squid sequencer. The MPC has a good selection of sounds.

But the magic happens when you midi clock it up to the sequencer and program some drums on the MPC and other things with the Squid.

2 Likes

LFO automation is one of the MPC’s definite weak spots, though if they finally port over the macros from the Force, that’ll be a big help. The Pyramid is a great choice for bringing a bit more flexibility, and I impinge the Hapax even more so. It’s nice to have very long sequences available on the MPC, so you can capture the results of letting the Pyramid do its thing.

I suppose in the MPC’s defence it’s very easy to draw in automation using the screen, but in terms of sequencing tools it’s very, um… well, 20th century, I guess…

2 Likes

I’m not getting it to work the way I wanted unfortunately. I am able to bind external midi controls to the mute for specific tracks (like the bass track, or a synth lead track, etc), but it seems there’s no way to bind an external midi cc event to “mute current track”. I suppose with a midi controller with 8 buttons, I could make it work for most of my projects, but I was hoping there would be a way to just add physical buttons for the stuff missing on the MPC One control surface itself: mute current track, solo current track, skip to next bar, rewind to previous bar, etc.

I see, about as good as it’s gonna get currently but might be good to make a feature request, they definitely listen to feedback

1 Like

A leak, probably accidental, of the MPC Key 61 ?

Maybe, maybe not ?

4 Likes

I hope that’s real… I’d have one of those in a heartbeat.

There was rumours of this a few months back already.

Notice that i linked to that with Gino’s post.

Wow, news is usually leaked when people want it out there.

Boy is that ugly?

Aubergine emoji

I’d be down for a Retro edition MPC Keys - sorta, not really a fan of the Zzounds/American Musical.

Or a Gold Edition - I guess this housing with a keyboard might be too much bling, but whatever.

Either would be more attractive to me than plain ol’ black

I started my music making journey on a Roland W-30, which is similarly sized, but today I’d much rather have the opposite: A (more) portable MPC. My ideal device would be something like the MPC One, but with an upgraded/faster CPU and then shrunk down to something closer to the Roland SP-404 mk2*, battery and usb-c powered and with the same or more number of buttons as the MPC One (add mute and solo buttons please). That would be the perfect device, for me at least.

*) ok, maybe a tad larger if necessary, but still, much more portable than the MPC One and with a proper battery solution.

1 Like

I see only 4 qlinks but moreover the “infamous” touch strip of the MPC studio. Will see but I am already afraid if the price :sweat_smile: could it beat a MPC one with an MPK261? More practical for sure and maybe the 10" screen of the MPC X?

I’d never give up my Live 2… if I got a 61 key version it would be as another unit to live in my studio and be able to transfer projects over to.

I’ve got a feeling this may just be a controller for MPC software too, not a full standalone MPC with keys… guess we’ll see.

1 Like

Isn’t that just the Scott Storch leak? But it isn’t even the full picture… you can see a lot more of it in the full picture…
But yes, it is a mpc keys, not just a controller… it is gonna come out soon with a mpc update. Only 4 qlinks, boo hoo…
You will live, and the x had to be still the flagship… if this was better, it would be crazy expensive… I’m hoping around 2 grand.

the kind of ugly that breaks my heart

It’s looks exactly like a mpc live? Is that ugly? What did you expect? It is a mpc, of course it looks like one…

I wish it didn’t, I don’t like the way the force or mpc live looks… there is no saving me… I wish they made the mpc live like the mpc touch… and switched the orientation of the pads… I’ve got a bunch of mp’s including a live 2 and a one… but that keyboard is ugly in a way that only it’s mother could love it… it’s just my opinion though, I know it will be a quite capable production instrument as like you say, it is an mpc