Mpc one vs digitakt

The DT filter sounds awesome too, also digital. Elektron programmers are awesome.

2 Likes

Something about these newer MPCs just doesn’t hit home with me - disclaimer I have never used any of them - it is like they have all the disadvantages of hardware and all the disadvantages of a DAW and none of the advantages of either? I could well be totally wrong in this though, but I’m basing it on videos and the occasional user gripe that I read.

I’d like to know a lot more about them on one hand, but on the other I think that they’d do my head in, things like gazillions of commercial samples pre-loaded and the problems that seem to arise from removing them, the inconsistent touch screen implementation depending on mode and so on.

Maybe I should try one at some point.

But, no I don’t see MPC and Digitakt in the same sphere other than they both sample.

A bit like comparing an Amiga tracker to Logic.

4 Likes

And also, it’d be unfair to Logic. The Amiga kills it, every day from the 90’s up until today and into the future :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Amen to that.

1 Like

depends completely on your needs.
They both can do things the other one can‘t, the MPC being more „complete“ regarding features.
I tried the Live and the DT and to me the major difference was, that the DT feels much more immediate and 10x faster. But I‘m more used to elektron workflow

1 Like

The perceived range of features available in products like the MPC One are going to present a conciderable marketing challenge for Elektron moving forward.

The essential issue for the company is how they’re tackling the DSP issue.
Elektron had a great deal of its IP invested in Motorola DSP programming:
DSP austerity in 2018
Two Coldfire MCF5441’s inside
and it seems obvious now that the power of this architecture has not kept up with more emergent platforms such as ARM which appears to be many orders of magnitude faster: MFlops vs TFlops.

You could argue that Elektron is a niche company and doesn’t need to enter the feature wars and that its workflow is everything, but products like the M:S suggest the company has broader ambitions.

Let’s hope that the transition to ARM is already well underway and that the company has the stomach for change.

4 Likes

I don’t see it happening - Elektron competing in the all in one groove/production box market I mean. It does not seem to be their focus, and a lot of customers seem fine with that, it would seem, me included.

Same way that I wouldn’t expect Lotus to make a Range Rover, there is a market for both.

Yep, agree with @darenager - Elektron is a developer who released an eight track sampler in 2017, made it record and convert samples to mono only, and got away with it.

In fact, I think they’re so specific in what they’re doing, the competition isn’t all that worried about what they’re up too, either, but more curious and take note and ideas from their work.

3 Likes

Porsche made one :stuck_out_tongue:

They “got away with it” because the DT is a fully stereo device, once you start using the ping pong delay, p-locking pans on the same sample that you’re modifying the filter or overdrive or whatever with an LFO, your samples are in such massive stereo that it feels almost overwhelming. I love making samples swoosh back and forth between my ears, hi-hats ticking back and forth from left to right using the stair step LFO, etc. it can get SO stereo that it’s overwhelming. What would stereo samples bring to a one-shot drum sampler that MAKES your samples stereo? It’s a sound shaping device. What kind of stereo samples would you want to use on the DT? A synth sample with chorus or something? I honestly don’t even know what people mean when they ask for stereo samples on the DT, like what KIND of stereo samples exactly?

9 Likes

DT is not just a one-shot drum sampler; it has been demonstrated with looping background atmospheres, for example.

I haven’t done the asking, but it’s easy to imagine someone wanting to use existing stereo music loops or field recordings.

6 Likes

They mean that it should sample in stereo. And not convert stereo samples to mono when they’re transferred to the Digitakt.

I agree with everything else you said.

1 Like

Yeah definitely it can be used for more, but it absolutely was designed as a one-shot sampler, albeit a VERY flexible one.

If people want to use stereo loops or field recordings, assuming that the L/R channel are different and distinct sounding enough to make a PRACTICAL difference, why not just split loop into a left and right side and place it on side by side tracks? In my opinion that’s WAY more flexible even than a stereo sample since you’ll be able to add subtle modulations or not so subtle modifications to the L/R channel independently. You could have an LFO set to each to the effect that they swoop from left to right and cross each other in the stereo field, or you can set up trig conditions so that side by side tracks modify the trig behavior of one another, or you could have a the filters on left and right channel being modulated independently but synced so they wobble back and forth. Really the options are borderline endless if you are creative.

3 Likes

That sounds like it would be less convenient than using the original stereo sample.

4 Likes

You’re missing what I’m saying. What kind of stereo source SPECIFICALLY would you like to use with the DT? But Peter already answered, people might like to use existing loops.

Very slightly less, but what you would gain in flexibility over just a static stereo sample that can’t be addressed independently is far greater. The part of my post that came after what you quoted is the key part.

2 Likes

Say my Mono Evolver, or something from the Matriarch? A Prophet 6 loop with pan spread? A field recording from the forest? To mention a few.

2 Likes

Nice answers, I feel you. Just split that sample, use them on side by side tracks, and you’ll have FAR more fun than you would have with a static stereo sample. Unless you don’t really want to program the Digitakt to make this kind of fun happen, in which case I think you’re barking up the wrong tree from the beginning…

4 Likes

Has to agree with @Hawk

the stereo field so flexible.
99.7% of times you do not need original stereo sample
is actually rare use scenario for a machine such as this.

2 Likes

Yep. Good point, no doubt.

1 Like