MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

It can handle mic levels/impedances?! Impressed

Obvsly no 48v phantom on the live, but that’s what battery phantom mics are for :diddly:

Akai REALLY needs to add M/S encoding/decoding to the fx selection. You could theoretically make killer location recordings with this and M/S! Ok sure you can make the recording M/S later, but it would be very nice to be able to hear the result while monitoring the recording.

Oh wait - does this mean you can have two MCs/vocalists with dynamic mics for some portable battery powered jams/gigs? vox with fx?! :loopy: Or heck, one portablist deck (from line in since phono input mutes the line/mic ins), one mic and MPC… It’s all there

Ok vid though I’d hoped for some sound processing. Being able to record is not that a huge thing for a sampler. Also he said he cleans it up and makes it sound better with his outboard gear, be cool to see it being done itb

1 Like

this posted yet? CV sequencing with the X

And more Rihanna :nyan:

1 Like

What is M/S?

I believe it refers to mid/side aka mono/stereo ie. sounds you hear only in the middle vs. sounds that exist in the whole stereo spectrum.
The idea is to have different treatment (e.g. FX such as compression) on mid field and side fiels.

I first heard of this concept in LEM’s video explaining how Elysia Karacter works

2 Likes

Yeah, that is how you can apply Mid/Side in audio processing context. However, I was referring to Mid/Side recording technique as discovered by Blumlein in 1931. Here’s a snippet from wikipedia:

Mid/Side micing can produce very good results wrt stereo imaging and mono compatibility

1 Like

Advanced !

1 Like

M/S is interesting for mono compatibility and post editing but not better or even worse than a good stereo couple for a regular way of playing music. Do you think there are still mono sum compatibility problems ? If it’s the case, I wouldn’t care about it.

Can’t wait the Akai / Gopro Mpc Live version for underwater recordings. :confused:

Ideally you’d need a matched pair of mics for normal stereo recording though, and exact mic placement is more critical. But YMMV as always.

1 Like

I hadn’t considered actually taking it out to record with a mic, this is an eye opener and adds to the usefulness massively, even tho it’s on the large side, I can see myself grabbing a nice protective bag with a strap for location recording. Not sure I’d have it on the ground in the forest tho :slight_smile:

I can’t see myself recording directly into it. Seems bulky. I’d much prefer to take my field recorder out to capture sounds in that manner. Granted, if you don’t have a field recorder, then that’s an option-but the notion of actually toting around this piece of gear in this manner seems risky(and gimmicky for the video(albeit, it’s a pleasant looking gimmick))

2 Likes

I guess if your taking it out anyway tho, and you can work whilst your out and about, I can see the appeal in not messing with multiple devices. Small field recorders are great for on the spot stuff but often you need a proper mic to capture With detail…
On location stuff for post production or sound designers, I can see the appeal too, in setting straight to work.
Depends on the quality of the pre Amps in there etc, but pro location recorders are often big… my tutor at uni carried a recorder this big and another interface/mixer for on set work. Not saying this could be a replacement for high end stuff, but I think it’s a nice option to have.

But I maybe wouldn’t be taking into the woods or laying it onto the ground : )

2 Likes

Yeah I guess there’s some esthetic for the beauty of the visual too… if you make your movie with a case or inside a back pack it’s not enhance the product nor communicate on it… and not the beauty of the movie too…

So … :stuck_out_tongue:

the MPC Live is intriguing but I really can’t stand the cheap iPad they put inside, not gonna use an LCD on stage

So you’ve had an opportunity to try one out?

3 Likes

Does anyone know if there are modulation options,LFO’s,P-locks and such for creating weird stuff on MPC Live like on Octatrack?

2 Likes

:joy:

nowhere near as much. These kind of things have traditionally been outside the scope of MPC functions. Some form of automation will be onboard however, just don’t expect 1:1 elektron plocks or LFOs with a mod matrix.

No!!!