MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

On MPC 2000 you can assign effects to. Good for filter sweeps etc.

1 Like

Anything in that ballpark. Like snapshots of multiple parameter settings. The transitional aspect of OT scenes would be great. But even less flexible/more rigid snapshots would be useful/fun for experimenting/performance.

“Scenes” in Ableton compare to “sequences” on a MPC.

“Scenes” are a selection of “clips”, which are played together in a musical context and can be muted/unmuted.

“Sequences” are a selection of “tracks”, which are played together in a muscial context and which can be muted/unmuted any time too.

There is some difference in handling. Like the access to the mute/unmute functionality, making the “selection” etc. Live allows for clips of different lengths to be played in sync and looped. Tracks on the old MPCs are, AFAIK, of the same length, defined by the sequence and hence is not as flexible. My MPC 5k even allows to record track-mutes … a useful feature.

I expect that the new MPCs might be much more like Live in a box :wink:

I wasn’t really talking about that stuff like ableton ‘scenes’ :wink: That’s more clip launching related. I’m talking about sets of multiple parameter settings (fx/pitch/retrigger/filter etc) that can be used/played like snapshots for instant alteration to the sound of a sequence/clip/Keygroup instrument etc. Hopefully they’ll add something in this area soon, and p-locks of some kind :wink:

1 Like

I understand. What you describe seems to me to be a typical feature/advantage of the Electron sequencers, where the kits (A4/AR) or the parts (OT) are only linked to a track and can be swapped at any time. I guess, this will not make it in the MPC. The envisaged workflow seems to be more of a keeping the well accepted “old school” handling and add on improved and new functions.

AFAIK OT like scenes could be implemented to MPC, if a Q-Link could control as many parameters as an OT scene. The old MPCs have not this kind of macro-capability, which provide to control with one knob many parameters simultaneously.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not really expecting it to have this any time soon tbh. Maybe it’ll happen in the next big update after v2 tho…

No. 16 levels is where a single parameter such as pitch or velocity is mapped across the 16 pads so that as you move through pads 1-16 the pitch or velocity increases. It is a performance feature. Not at all like Elektron scenes.

Looks like the general limit for timestreched samples/clips etc through the whole box/all functions is only limited by the overall polyphony.

Besides the 8 audio tracks thing (which I guess just used 8 voices and doesn’t affect anything else?). Tho that might increase too if/when they encorporate stream from disk as rumoured…

2 Likes

That is cool. So you bounce instruments on long one shot samples and use them as Audio Tracks. The only difference is that you can’t slice/rearrange them on the grid right? So 8 tracks is not limitation at all if you want to “freez” some VST instruments. You just need to put them in the drum program and warp them.

2 Likes

Or as launchable clips, which is separate from drum programs

2 Likes

I pre-ordered the x today. $1899 from perfect circuit. Now the wait is on. I really wish I knew how long that was. Technically Q1 is January February and March, but when I check estimated arrival times on various websites they say April.

2 Likes

How did you get such a price?

I called to preorder. I was going to try to get 10% off because they have given me 10% off before. But when I called to pre-order I asked if I would be charged right away or when it ships. He said I would be charged right away but he could do $1899. I didn’t even have to ask.

2 Likes

Very nice! That X looks pretty appetising. I spent many of my initial songwriting hours recording into a Boss BR-1200cd. I still can’t really equate recording with the computer and that thing looks mighty fine for replacing that feel but with ease. I’ve got my eye on that thing if I ever get a good job. Keep the forum updated on your experience!

1 Like

still trying to find info regarding individual track length… and also would anyone know if I could assign individual MIDI channel per pad (in the MPC touch)? I’d love to use this with the nord drum2 …

edit: midi channel per pad seems possible as per v1.9 manual. hope I understand this correctly. maybe a touch user could confirm?

edit 2: individual track length seems possible too: (quoting the manual): Track lengths can now be independent of Sequence lengths, which means that you don’t have to copyand paste content in a Track just so its length matches up with others in the Sequence. For instance, a 2-bar drum pattern on one Track will loop under an 8-bar bass line on another Track… reading clearly helps

With 64 channels of midi surely that’s enough to ‘squander’ 6 on the ND2?
Use master channel if you just want to sequence the sounds otherwise single channels would be no use if you were not interested in cc, which in turn would not be much use having a complete channel per pad…
Not attacking you my good chap, just not sure what you are after there!
Please ilucidate me!!!

I like to play the ND2 chromatically tuned. lets say 4 pads dedicated to the 1st voice (perfect 5ths for example or any other progression)
2 pads dedicated to the 2nd voice (major and minor 7ths)… and so forth… all from the same MPC program.
lack of this functionality ruled out the first beatstep for me (tracks only transmit to 1 channel).

… or just control multiple synths from the same pad’page’

makes more sense?

So I was very close to hiting the pre order button for a live, but after some more research I see there is no song mode. Well a similar song mode like the Octatrack aranger mode. Can any mpc users confirm this ?
And is “clip” a fancy name for a loop ?

dunno if this is anything to go by (hope it is):

page 204 covers song mode

I’m disappointed too that there doesn’t seem to be a song arrangement mode view on standalone. Seems like a really dumb thing to skip if they did rewrite the code from scratch with standalone etc in mind. Had this view on Beatmaker/Nanostudio etc on my phone screen years ago… Feels like a no-brainer inclusion on these boxes if it’s there on the computer screen when connected. But IIRC that isn’t how mpc software works. So fair enough… I guess you can use one long sequence as a song to get this kind of view/workflow? Not sure how well that would work in practise tho?

Re clips in clip launch mode, yeah they’re basically loops I guess. But I’m not really sure what else you hoped they’d be? it’s a useful added feature IMHO.

2 Likes