MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Audiosolutions says Sunday, March 5th 2017 (date double-checked)

A post was merged into an existing topic: Beatmaker 3 app for iPad

Sounds like the same samples but finally a slightly different demo. Hoping some beta users start leaking some more interesting vids soonā€¦

Edit - just watched that video again. None of the pads are lighting as heā€™s hitting? Dunno how the unit works in practice re lights etc but from memory the other repā€™s demos always seemed to light a pad when he hit em? Hopefully just the Akai-sceptic in me and this guy isnā€™t fakingā€¦

Iirc if he is playing samples in a program then the pads donā€™t blink
If he is triggering the loops then they would blink
I think

1 Like

The most ridiculous part about all the MPC hype are all the ā€œreviewā€ videos on youtube by people who havenā€™t even seen the unitā€¦

3 Likes

Interestingā€¦Richard Devine using CV outs on the MPC X :

2 Likes

The screen on the X looks amazing! I want to know what the timing/jitter figures are.

Just watched this Touch vid on the step sequencer. The step sequencer looks better than I was thinking it would beā€¦

Some interesting little features for variation etc and its the first video where Iā€™ve seen someone use pads instead of touchscreen to program steps etc. Makes me wonder how much else weā€™ve been seeing them use the touchscreen for tasks where perhaps physical controls can be used instead.

Hopefully means a nice p-locks system will arrive at some point too :wink:

2 Likes

There seems to be a lot of hype in this thread for the MPC. Ive used the Touch now for about 8 months, itā€™s ok just, and I think all the Live is bringing differently is a slight software update and limited use away from the computer. All Iā€™m saying is donā€™t get too hyped, itā€™s basically a mobile daw you are buying and a pretty average daw at thatā€¦I think there will be a few dissapointed people once the initial novelty wears thin.

To finish with a positive it does have great feeling pads!

Yeah Iā€™m prepā€™d for disappointment tbh. Akai have a shitty recent track recordā€¦

But I donā€™t get the ā€˜its basically a dawā€™ thing. It does everything an mpc1000 did right? Was that a daw?

Seems like a decent sample drum machine (classic mpc style), polyphonic tracks sampler with timestrech (think Microsampler/es2 are maybe the only other ones out there?), versatile multisampler(Keygroups), looper(Dunno much about this tbh) and clip launcher(bonusā€¦), and USB hub etc from what I can see? And then a daw scratchpad on top if thatā€™s what you want to use it as? I think itā€™ll be down to the user to pick out the pieces they need. I def wonā€™t be replacing my daw with it :wink:

But yeah, all comes down to how it feels hands onā€¦ Guess just gotta wait it outā€¦ I feel like Iā€™m fighting its corner a little too much when in reality Iā€™m justā€™ hopingā€™ that whatā€™s on paper translates to the box Iā€™ve been wanting to get madeā€¦ Weā€™ll see :wink:

2 Likes

I would be disappointed also if I owned a MPC Touch. This new Live will have a better touch screen, better software, battery operated and completely stand alone for only $400 more. Iā€™m sure a few Touch owners feel jipped.

Iā€™d be interested to see how smooth the touchscreen is when there is strain on the ram with multiple audio tracks, loops, fx and midi sequencing all happening rather than basic loop jams.

If performance doesnā€™t suffer under the strain of full projects it will definitely impress

1 Like

[quote=ā€œCallofthevoid, post:1758, topic:32978ā€]
But I donā€™t get the ā€˜its basically a dawā€™ thing. It does everything an mpc1000 did right? Was that a daw?[/quote]
Itā€™s an 8 tracks DAW. :wink:
Apparently with the looper you can record in sync, assign record to a pad, record again, etcā€¦
So you can add many tracks.
Itā€™s much more a DAW than an Mpc1000 due to the efficiency of touch screen for midi editing.
I have a problem with the computer inside but maybe you can forget it if it works perfectly.
I had Mpc 2000xl and Mpc 1000, I consider those Mpcs are another level (again if it works really well in standalone mode).

Who cares about audio tracks or clip launch, theyā€™re just extras for the thousands of people who just want a new up-to-date MPC.

MPCs were never DAWs and I think most users see through this DAW marketing crap.

MPCs have always been almost an anti-DAW. Theyā€™re for people who donā€™t want a DAW.

I would have been happy with stem export a la Toraiz.

I just want solid sample handling, sequencing, timing/jitter and key groups. If they can add a few more LFOs and cross fade looping Iā€™ll be in heaven.

Btw I hate the term DAW. Itā€™s as meaningless and as annoying as the term EDM.

3 Likes

You got a problem with DAWs and audio tracks ?

1 Like

Arrange your song in a daw or you arrange your song on an mpc, the difference is mute. Itā€™s like a DAW and anyone telling themselves its not just because itā€™s a piece of hardware is delusional.That said: Those CV outputs do look tasty.

Howā€™d you say using the touch compares to using one of the og MPCs? In terms of workflow I meanā€¦

Technically every MPC ever has been a Digital Audio Workstation.

Nope

So thatā€™s why I find people hating on a daw and using an mpc JUST because itā€™s not a computer( even though it clearly is just that) annoying. I own a maschine and Iā€™ll take that DAW over it any time of the week if itā€™s time to arrange my songs.

1 Like