MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

I think that the touch screen is not as precise as a sensitive dial. The advantage I see is quick zooming in and out, and scrolling. But to put a cursor position precisely to the beginning or the end of a wave I would use the dial.

The live is > iPad + controller IMO. If some people find the ā€œno computerā€ idea funny, I do not. I always prefer focused computing devices over general purpose computing devices, the system is much smaller and therefore more optimized, with less moving parts (no internet etc)

General purpose computing devices excel at prototyping, but almost always I would prefer a hardware device built from the experience/insight gained from the computer software. This is why I applaud the new MPCs - it bridges the huge gap between the state of software (on general purpose computing platforms) and hardware considerably.

3 Likes

In the videos Iā€™ve seen so far of the Live and Touch that seems to be the process, some and move around with the touch screen, roughly place the cursor with your finger, then fine tune with the dial.

1 Like

Absolutely ā€¦ computer is not a bad thing, it only becomes an annoyance, if hundreds of background-tasks take away from the CPU performance, keep the machine busy with things nobody needs at the moment, and make the entire system unstable. I canā€™t guess how many GHz of my multi-core system are just wasted by this. Thatā€™s why I prefer a no-PC/Mac environment. With ā€œsingle purpose computersā€ like the Elektron boxes or my old MPC, I enjoy quick boot times and if there is not a buck in the software, the machine runs, and runs, and runs ā€¦ :wink:

EDIT: And thatā€™s the reason, why I run a little studio providing a combined computer-based and ā€œstand-aloneā€ centered set-up, which I can use alternatively ā€¦ best of two worlds :wink:

1 Like

Hey Guys i guess this Thread start to morph like a 2 gangs opposed to each others and try to argument to convinced ! But well i guess it will not working firstly. And then, can we accord everyones on that point :

If someone think to buy an MPC Live or X will give him more pleasure and focus on making music because in his human nature the computer doesnā€™t suit himself nicely in that purposeā€¦ he has probably right to think to buy it ?

We can probably reverse that things and say some people actually making very nice music with a computer and a mouse onlyā€¦

The quest to get better is a very personal and intimate quest, because it a global quest. The important is at the end is everyone succeed to reach their goals.

so Peace and Love everyone :wink:

2 Likes

I think this is a very healthy discussion. Itā€™s perfectly fine and even preferable that we donā€™t agree. Another perspective is valuable in getting to know what you really want. Iā€™m still looking forward to trying the MPC Live, the devilā€™s in the details and just touching it and working with it my change my own perception. But understanding what others will do with it, and its appeal, also helps me to consider if this is the same for me.

Itā€™s ironic, really. Iā€™m a traditionalist, this should be so right for me. Yet, the Octatrackā€™s my passion. Iā€™m learning a lot here by just following this thread.

4 Likes

Agreed, to each their own :slight_smile:

But itā€™s funny how whenever Iā€™ve posted about possibly grabbing an mpc1000 to partner with my OT people never said, ā€˜just get an ipad and a controllerā€™.

The live seems to do everything the mpc1000 did and more, with modern storage, connectivity and a big ass screen, yet people are saying, ā€˜itā€™s not an instrument, itā€™s an ipad and a controllerā€™. Psychology is a strange thing!

5 Likes

Yeah but the main problem with a computer is that you loose a lot of time posting in Elektronauts. :grin:[quote=ā€œWilliam_WiLD, post:625, topic:32978ā€]
We can probably reverse that things and say some people actually making very nice music with a computer and a mouse onlyā€¦
[/quote]

8 Likes

^this. If it doesnā€™t feel ā€˜rightā€™ then itā€™s out the picture. Impossible to say from vids so far and akai rep opinions. Hopefully theyā€™ll be on display for people to use at namm. The features/specs are there for what I need in a box like this but if it feels fiddly, cheap and buggy, no thanksā€¦

3 Likes

Exactly. And usually, a solid workflow is in the details. Just compare the new and old Electribes. I likeā€™m both. But working with them just doesnā€™t compare. When someone asks: ā€œOld gen tribe, new gen tribeā€, itā€™s an irrelevant question - because the details in how you play them, make for such a separate experience.

1 Like

Akai should make ā€˜What it doesā€™ video like Dataline did for OT. And hopefully no trap musicā€¦ get Jeremy Ellis for the jobā€¦

2 Likes

Ot (or op1) is always gonna be king for ā€˜interestingā€™ and weird/random. But Iā€™m not sure people are using their imagination re the features on the Live. Things like adding variations to polyphonic patterns on one track will be so easy. It has piano roll view option per pattern right?

And obvs can resample patterns with automation on fx etc then slice and repitch slices or re-arrange etc. Then do that again etc. Then layer it on a pad with other samples on same pad and cycle them while playing chromatically polyphonically and see where things have got to :wink:

Itā€™s not like there are no creative options on this thing? And looks like x/y can be setup to give (a very limited) OT scene kind of functionality. Which can be recorded to sequencer or bounced to an audio clip, then switch up the x/y settings and record new fx automation on same clip and resample that to new clip. Then sliced and played polyphonically or whatever.

Itā€™s def not up to OT depth standards by a long way, but seems like itā€™ll have plenty to mess with, and in slightly different ways/different results to OT/Op1 for when people wanna mess with sounds inside it :wink:

1 Like

Very true, very true.

I had an Electribe Sampler briefly, and its combinations with insert fx, motion recording and resampling with time slicing could take you just about anywhere. And that was just four features, that combined together made for one hell of a creative package.

Perhaps the MPC Live looks like a DAW, but doesnā€™t play or operate like a DAW at all. We refer to things as we know them, but canā€™t see what we donā€™t know until weā€™ve discovered it. So we assume this is something based on early appearance, cause it looks like something we know.

Doesnā€™t mean it is, though.

1 Like

Mobile tech means thereā€™s no escape anywhere :scream: Iā€™m more of a toilet poster myself tho :smile:

I think new Live is great, but actually i am hoping to see OT price drop so I can get a new one :slight_smile:

It is great that someone has made ableton live in one box, it is also, lets say revolutionary, but not in a sense of an new ideas and concepts, it is revolutionary in technological way, the rest is copy - paste from various sources. Unlike Elektron future modern boxes :wink:

^ future creative tooā€¦ in that they force you to be creative to overcome limitations.

I think everything has its limitations, one way or another :slight_smile:

Think I remember thread where people concluded Elektron have only copy/pasted ideas from existing hardware/software too? Albeit in very deep/feature rich ways via the way they combined stuff and implemented it in hardware UI :slight_smile:

You have a poster of yourself in the toilet and you bring your laptop to watch it? :grin:
Yeah I post with smartphone too. Now I have to go to real life.

I believe you. I just have other opinion about it haha but it really doesnā€™t matter. OT price drop on the other hand, would matter hehee