MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

IMO it’s hard to get excited about a device having onboard battery when it’s bigger and heavier than an elektron, and likely to be hooked up to tons of cables all the time. For couch jams it’s no hassle to use a power cable, but I’m having trouble imagine anyone casually slipping this thing into a backpack.

Mpc Live of course big eye candy and all but still, call me old or stupid, my S3200 is staying right where it is… can’t beat the cyclic mode timstrech and that famous floppy mode analog buzz… i am ready to gig with this giant sampler and a backpack full of floppy in all that pretty colors… let them young cats hear that famous floppy mode analog buzz in jungle madness. :diddly:
We all have iphones for couch/toilet ideas…

3 Likes

There’s a buzz when you record in or playback?

You know what I mean, there’s a buzz allways with floppy drives, real-life analog buzz, not digital, althou it sounds digital… sorry didn’t want to confuse anyone. :loopy:

The OG MPCs do have time streching of indivudual samples, but not real time time streching if that´s what you meant. :wink:

Exactly, this is the one thing I requested when they dropped the first Push. Integrated instruments and FXs. Even though the Novation Circuit has it´s limitations it´s the closest I´ve got to this idea but the flexibility and power of the Circuit is amazing. Two individual synth tracks and four drum track that can be p-locked to different sounds and track length.

What I´m hopping for the most is that Elektron releases and updated Machinedrum with a powerful synth/drum engine that either matches the likes of the ND2 or included a new synthesis like NI Razor. I´ve done so many percussive sounds with razor that sounds better than any other drum/synth I´ve ever used. I don´t mind digital synthesis. I actual thing it´s more diverse than analog. Would be even better if Elektron setup an app store with drum synths or new synthesis so we could pick and choose our setup from.

FYI, the MPC Live is only 3oz heavier than an Analog Rytm. Nearly the same sofa experience, really.

I like old Akai. I have low expectations for the new Numark-Akais. I’m actually not really excited by these sampler-workstation endeavors anymore. I don’t want to just play back recorded loops of my music. I want my sampler to have multiple inputs, and behave more like a mixer with a sophisticated sequencer attached for automation of levels, EQs, and effects. I want the sampling that it does have to be totally focused on innovative ways of manipulating samples with every type of synthesis method imaginable using digital and analog technology.

2 Likes

I wonder if the parameters are CC controllable and I can automate it with modstep?

I got an S1000HD and hadn’t noticed it in my recordings. She’s a tank but when i turn her on it’s 2 hours gone in a flash.

My EPS keyboard doesn’t have the noise either.

Man I need to sample something right now.

2 Likes

Why would you want to do that when you can automate them all in the mpc?

At the risk of attracting the anger of lots of people here, I really think that the new mpc will be way better at sample editing than the octatrack, with the tiny screen and convoluted use of the knobs. I still predict they will coexist really well for me tho!

1 Like

No argument with arguments. If you can edit samples with knobs and arrows with Mpc too, it should be better. With the touch screen only, not sure.

1 Like

Weirdly that’s the part that I think mpc will help me out with. Non computer, linear, polyphonic sequencing… And super easy visual chopping/arranging/tweaking of not only samples but also song sections/structure etc. On sofa or in bed etc…

Be nice to work outside of the Elektron sequencers when I want/need to and then team em up where necessary. For the most part I’m over glitchy/modular weirdness, turns out I like ‘songs’. Kind of came full circle… More in to evolving weird arrangements/chord progressions with sharp turns etc. And I have enough stuff here already for when I want to add giltchy/modular style stuff in there… Mostly I just dig classic sounds with some tape wonkiness added. I can see how the mpc wouldn’t appeal to a lot of people, seems kind of bland in terms of what it does FOR you, but if you’re in to long, melodic, polyphonic compositions and want to get down what’s in your head (as opposed to stumble on cool random stuff OT/OP1 style) then it looks super fast for that kind of writing. Like the bones of songs. Then add the weirder stuff later if needed…

2 Likes

Saw vid where the 4 knobs are various resolution for sample editing. Big, medium Fine, finer increments. Should be at least on par with OT in that respect. Not sure it has the OT ‘hold function and knob to snap to zero crossings’ tho… Maybe they could add that, it’s a good OT feature.

Yep for the zero crossing feature but in Mpc the zero must be more obvious…

Man… you should wait for Beatmaker 3… Way better editing capabilities in beatmaker 2 already. But… it’s an app.

I must say I never did audio editing in OT or Mpc or beatmaker app… only for chops and timestretch. When i really dive into sound editing i use protools, since the whole transfer of samples is sofisticated enough to send back and forth.

Anyway let the time be the judge here.

Yeah Massive Price Drop mean something, for Native Instruments it’s always a new Komplete or a New Hardware version… A Product Replacement… For a lot it’s always the sign that when you receive the product super happy, the product in the brand gone into the legacy or discontinued product section of their website :stuck_out_tongue: i’m done with that i pay very much attention to this details. I have pain on Tc Electronic Konnekt Live, Focusrite Liquid Mix… Never could pay the full price, buy it at price drop : waste of time and money at the end.

I’m glad i have right, target in the center on this one :slight_smile:

You should wait next Windows ! :grin:
Talking about hardware here or what ? :wink:
By the way I use my computer too if I have to make several audio edits but the possibility to do it with those hardware is important I think.

According to my MPC 5k manual all control changes seem to be transmitted and received. Therefore there is some chance that the new boxes do it too. What I don’t know is, whether all the Q-Links are mapped accordingly … I have never used the MPC as a remote-controlled unit … just the other way around :wink: