MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Just to add … old MPCs or samplers had 12 bit resolution only … :wink:

On my MPC the FX isn’t great either, but I don’t expect to have a pro-FX-loaded mixing desk in front of me. Same goes for the OT. But those FX can do much to creative sound-mangling.

Akai can include good FX in MPC V 2.0 … it’s software at the end … and a 1.8 GHz multiprocessing environment should support the one or the other decent FX. But we should not expect to get something like Soundtoys or other high quality FX bundles included at this price :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve never used the new fancy MPC software - however I’m guessing it is a fairly plain vanilla workhorse affair like Maschine; compared to elektron/op-1/Yamaha type sequencing with features like midi effects, arps, conditionals, randomisers, p-locks, LFOs, phrases etc?

From what I can tell with the new ones is that you could easily draw in very precise automation for similar effect as p locks

While I always felt the toraiz was a bit of a really pretty POS I think the new MPC live will crush it! The toraiz is so painfully lacking in features! It’s laughable

no doubt.

The MPC Software 2.0 will include all the AIR Music effects and expansion instruments found in Pro Tools, on top of the AKAI FX. I don´t know if you know the AIR Music effects, but they were a realy pricey and exclusiv part of ProTools back in the day. AIR Music is now part of InMusic aka AKAI Pro (or whatever :slight_smile: ) http://www.airmusictech.com/

This is for the software part, so i don´t think they will work in standalone mode, but they will come in handy when you come to the finalizing stage.

But this is so easy with the new MPC hook it up to a PC/MAC and feel the power of the hybrid workflow :sunglasses:

Yeah, agree. I’m open to persuasion but will need to see and hear a whole lot more.

Also not sure about the touchscreen and DAW in a box approach. You know, so what if it’s standalone? Is it really that difficult to plug in a usb cable and boot up a laptop?

I already have in maschine and ableton push, two tightly integrated DAW / controller solutions, finding it hard to get too enthusiastic about another one. The only reason I’ve held on to my MPC1k is that it offers a change of workflow when I feel like, which won’t be the case with these.

Finding it kinda weird that the reaction on the internet in general seems way more positive towards these than towards the MPC Touch, when they’re essentially slightly different implementations of the same thing.

One thing I am looking forward to though is people making a big deal out of their Hardware Only™ setup when they have basically a computer and daw in a box sitting in front of them.

1 Like

Yesterday i preorder the mpc live,after 10 days with the mpc touch and the software as a plugin in ableton i see that is very good as workstation-sampler,sequencer is good,pads are good,screen are good,now i have to wait for the mpc live :slight_smile:
The price is 999 euro.
All the video at youtube is very good and i think the mpc live it will change the game! I hope!
I was ready to buy the octatrack but…i dont know if i want it or not,the sound is a little muddy and old (my opinion)
I see the mpc 2.0 version and is verry nice almost like (ableton)
Will see…

On initial demos you expect to see the product running at its smoothest. It’ll be al downhill from that point on. The lag is my concern. Bollocks to buying it on day one, there’s no rush. I wanna see how the Live is coping running at max and if the screen turns into the Sega game gear.

3 Likes

Muddy ? Don’t leave low pass filter down and turn distorsion off !
Old ? Don’t record vinyls or tapes !
:joy:

3 Likes

Me too

1 Like

Will see… and if is not good i will return to the store :wink:
As for the sound is my opinion,i know that octatracks is a beast but maybe is not for me,maybe…
I am very happy with the other stuff A4,Rytm,Heat,i use alot for my music but always with the octatrack i was mmmm…
I like that mpc is a workstation and not only a sampler.

Looking kinda laggy here too at 0.39… And with no audio running or anything else hitting cpu.

Akai are fools if they blew this unit with the screen response… Hopefully the final OS is smooth. Def holding off on the pre-order :wink:

Edit - maybe in this case the lag is due to it processing the timestrech info and fair enough? Like even ableton and OT etc take a second with some processes… God knows… Anyone know anyone that beta tested?

I just hope they are built like a tank like the legacy MPC’s…

The touch screen, bells and whistles look amazing but really REALLY hope the units dont feel cheap and plasticky… Plus - as mentioned above - we all know that RAM heavy OS’s that run GUI intensive applications ALWAYS slow down after some time. Unless your name is Apple and you’ve been doing the software/hardware integration ala iPhone for 10 years. Lag will be introduced at some point… for sure.

What i love about the OT is that its not a DAW. Its pointless comparing them… What the OT does, it does EXTREMELY well… I know its staying in my studio - will be the LAST piece of gear I sell. :elot::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Can any toraiz users comment on the touchscreen hardware experience on that?

Couldnt see any noticeable lag there.

Really? I noticed it straight off when watching that clip?

Be nice to see vid of someone flying around the UI/OS and making fast chops on wav and zooming etc and see if it keeps up… Get the feeling that dudes in these vids are running at half speed. Dunno if it’s just so the vids aren’t rushed and people can see what’s going on? Or if it’s cos that’s how you ‘need’ to do things on it. Itll be useless for shows if you can’t fly around on it…

1 Like

There is a difference between general lag and functionality processing speed. More complex tasks will take longer. This happens with all computer based systems. Lag is experienced just in terms of general navigation.

2 Likes

yes but - the heavier the system parameters loaded, the more it affects the processor + Ram. Too many resources eating up background tasks will ultimately affect the lag of the GUI

1 Like

Not true. I wouldn’t be surprised this is Qt + QNX/or some kind of unix. Both about 25 and 35 years old. As Nikarga mentioned it’s all about the processors and how you manage the use of RAM. I would be worried they didn’t test this enough. The other question is do they have enough DSP power? I’m eager to see more reviews. They just need to stop with the douchey demo sounds.

1 Like