MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

people on GS are saying 2.6 should drop within 2 days. Lets hope! Really looking forward to this one :nyan:

3 Likes

7 Likes

Thatā€™s just the softwareā€¦ firmware still isnā€™t available.

EDIT: Now I see it :slight_smile:

I tested the ALS export. It works, but the audio had glitches and two different tracks transposed onto one another. Like the beginning of 1 clip ad the audio of another - strange

Also, Iā€™m not feeling the step automation. Itā€™s hard to get a value back to zero with your finger. Maybe thereā€™s another way to zero out a step?

For the ALS support, Iā€™m seeing a bug update

Now we just need Dropbox support :smiley: Would sure be nice to be able browse Splice alsoā€¦ !

One single instance of Tubesynth and step automations:

I do like my MPC Live.
I liked it before, now itā€™s like BOOM!

8 Likes

please, donā€™t :man_farmer:

1 Like

I guess you can make changes to the step automation with the Q-links. Awesome

2 Likes

Love your patch, sounds dope :star_struck:
In fact, I still have a hard time tubesynth is capable of sounds like these, I need to give those internal synths another go !

have you tried FULL LEVEL? that gives fixed 0 and 127 values at leastā€¦ works also in the stepseq

Yeah, need to digg in to 2.6 and force 3.0.3 = so far looking good!

1 Like

Wow.sounds great Iā€™ve never really used the onboard instruments.how much automation did you use

The Firmware Update 2.6 can be found somewhere in the middle of the list, not on top of it. Of course, you have to logged in your Akai Account.

2 Likes

Right. Their page is just all over the place. And wouldnā€™t a firmware just be official for anyone?

Really enjoying 2.6! I wasnā€™t even that interested in Automation lanes and the features I want most (multitimbral support + track shortcuts) are still nowhere to be foundā€¦and yet, I have to acknowledge that Akai has evolved & continues to evolve the MPC Live in a manner that is somewhat impressive, especially given how terrible Akai usually is!

The MPC Live is a great sampler, an increasingly powerful sequencer and an awesome finger drumming device. And it can be a great tool for live application if one uses it for what it does well (quick sampling, finger drumming, additional sequencing).

It also took me a little to get used to the user interface, but itā€™s starting to be fun now and fairly quick to use.

All to say that I think the MPC Live/X get bashed for not fulfilling expectations because they didnā€™t at firstā€¦but now they do a lot / more than most stand-alone samplers on the marketplace, can compete with many stand-alone linear sequencers, and provide the best finger drumming experience out thereā€¦some of the expectations that rest on these machines are plain silly - Iā€™ve seen people bash the X/Live because they effectively are not Ableton Live in a box.

9 Likes

People used to say that about the Octatrack, too, that whole ā€œAbleton Live in a boxā€ thing, and I just donā€™t get it :woman_shrugging: People just need to let Ableton Live be Ableton Live, and make music on their hardware if they want to do it that way, and leave it at that.

That said, I only use my MPC in standalone mode, as thatā€™s what I bought it for. It works pretty great for this, imo.

5 Likes

After a few days trying my luck at this, Iā€™ve had a lot of fun, made a few interesting patches but I have to say, I canā€™t replicate these sounds by myself. In all honesty, itā€™s probably because I should spend even more time with Tubesynthā€¦
Still, can I beg for pointers/screenshots/pictures/MPC programs to reverse engineer your technique ? :diddly:

2 Likes

All credit to Akaiā€¦ no moaning from me. The update is great. Love automating stuff. I think certain gestures work really well with touch screens, drawing in automation is one of them, xy pad is another. Itā€™s not the box I payed for back whenever, itā€™s even better, what with the new pluggins (especially the e-paino, for me) new effects, automation etc.
Being able to record track mutes is really really sweet too.
Got to like the box youā€™ve got in front of you instead of wishing someoneā€™ll bring out your dream boxā€¦ whenever

3 Likes

Bit of a technical question here.
I want to use the pads on my MPC Live to trigger drum racks in Ableton Live.
So far I havenā€™t found a way to be able to do this over USB MIDI. The only way Iā€™ve managed is over DIN cable and using an outgoing MIDI track on the MPC.
But since Iā€™m allowed to use the MPC as an audio interface it would be great to just bring my USB cable with my laptop to play drums in Ableton Live.
Mind you, Iā€™m not interested in the MPC software or plugin in this scenario, only in using the MPC as an ordinary MIDI controller.

Any help?

Iā€™m uploading a small video of the patch and automations in action, not sure I can sync the video to audio properly, but should give you an idea.

Plus consider that while I had a good starting idea (Automate filter and amp envelopes to create a kick and bass feel) there was a huge dose of just fucking around and luckā€¦

3 Likes

The MPC Live or X do not send midi out via USB. No idea whyā€¦

2 Likes