MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Anyone have experienced this?

When i try to change the velocity on the Keygroup Program, i only have 3 velocity levels and the change between this 3 levels are so brutal especially when i change from 119 to 120 that sounds like you change from 75 to 127. Is this normal?

Level 1 : 0-74 Any value in this level sounds the same

Level 2 : 75-119 Any value in this level sounds the same

Level 3 : 120-127 Any value in this level sounds the same

Normally i shouldn’t have 127 levels instead of 3?

Have you parted company with the Mpc, or just going to work without it for a while?

1 Like

I hear you. To me the Octatrack is such a different animal, I use them in combination when jamming, with the MPC functioning as a super-SP404 there while the Octatrack mangles and FXes everything into oblivion. :slight_smile:

There’s something about that Elektron workflow and its immediacy that I haven’t seen replicated anywhere else yet (with such extensive feature sets). And the Octatrack - with its building blocks that are in themselves quite simple/straight forward, but in combination so powerful - is particularly inspiring.

Yet the MPC Live has its own charm for me and its idiosyncrasies inspire a different output than eg my Octatrack or Digitakt. Plus I LOVE fingerdrumming on the MPC Live (threshold at 4, sensitivity at 2, pad curve C), such an awesome feel!!

3 Likes

It’s still around. I like it, so I’ll keep it until it’s been out of mind for a long time.

I don’t see myself on both the Live and the OT in the long run, but I do see that I’m learning from having both around, right now. I got it for a good price so once it’s time, I believe I can trade it without taking a loss.

I agree with all of this.

The Live pads are stellar. Just looking at them
makes me happy.

3 Likes

Incidentally, I reversed the process and put the Octatrack away for now, to return to the Live again, seeing if being away from it and back on the OT, would bring the same kind of revelation but to the Live instead.

I should add that I’ve recently paired the two with a Proper 12 module, so that also brings out the best of both of these machines and really puts them to the test (or me, I guess).

Here’s what’s striking me as most obvious:
Using it to sequence, play and enable other instruments, it’s very powerful - in many ways, more so than the OT. The number of tracks, the MIDI flexibility and the amazing pads get me quicker to an early draft I like, than with the Octatrack.

I don’t miss the conditional triggers much from the OT, seeing as I can replicate the organic behaviour these can generate by extending the track length and then record automation from the X/Y function, throwing in filter drops, re-trigs, tape stops and all kinds of nice stuff. Doing this live is very satisfying and Undo is close at hand whenever I screw up.

It’s battery powered. And it allows you to render master files of your tracks, ready to publish. It’s a lot more complete, in that regard.

Recording automation is so damn easy, compared to the Octatrack. However, in this particular regard, parameter locks shine in the OT’s favour, since p-locking midi CC to enable an external synth, is quite the thing.

But:
Only two inputs - since I use the OT as a mini mixer as well, I miss this. A lot.

It lacks character, of which the Octatrack has plenty. The filters, compressor and EQ of the Octatrack has their own style, and they’re quite punchy when you’ve gotten to know them. The MPC Live is okay in this regard, but in terms of character, it doesn’t offer much.

And whatever magic’s going on within Elektron’s machine, just working with the OT is a whole lot more fun and satisfying. But playing the MPC is a treat, whereas playing the OT (chromatically) isn’t much of a dignified experience.

For going somewhere unexpected really fast, the Octatrack can’t be beat. Once you’ve learned its tricks and treats, you’ll end up in weird places in a split.

Finally, though -
For all the cool things the Octatrack can do, for just sitting down and writing a track proper, even when you throw in a few sleight of hand moves, the MPC is still functionally the better tool for me.

I’m just not sure I enjoy it enough to make that a strong enough case to keep it :slight_smile:

Keeping both is not an option, though. And since I’ve been with the OT for I don’t know how long, this is gonna be a tough one.

5 Likes

I’m was in the same boat with all sorts of gear but sliming down to the Live only as master and a few instruments, guitar, bass and DN. I do agree though it’s not has organic as Elektron boxes but I’ve come to the understanding is more of a production box and that’s what I need/want.

2 Likes

i thought the same, went MPC live, and indeed became much more productive…
but found out
i don’t make music to be productive
I make music to be amazed with the sound ‘I’ create…

i just didn’t enjoy making music with MPC, like I enjoy making music with elektron.

4 Likes

I hear that, I pick up the DN and guitar more then the MPC.

Just pulled the trigger on this. Man, you’ve done some good work here. Changes the sound entirely. I did a bunch of A / B tests on just a kick and a snare, and it doesn’t compare. If I’d offer any feedback to you, it’s that your demos on your site don’t do your work justice. I did some reverse engineering too, just to get an idea of how you got there, and there’s absolutely no way I could’ve recreated this.

Brilliant work, @Yorgos_Arabatzis. You made my choice between the Live and the OT even harder and for that I must perhaps cast a curse on you, but until then, the only cursing comes from my neighbours as I’m knocking down their walls.

1 Like

Really appreciate your support and nice comments!
I couldn’t agree more for what you’ve said that’s why i’m preparing the “real deal” video demos so anyone out there know what they’re missing!Can i post your testimonial on my site?

Rgds
Yorgos

1 Like

For sure :blush: quote me all you like, only happy to help​:blush:

1 Like

Apologies for my bickering, I think I had a lil’ too much coffee that day :drunk:

I’m currently in the process of sampling some of my favorite Rytm sounds, as I’m about to ship it out to a fellow forum member in exchange for an Analog Keys. I know a lot of you probably already have a Rytm, but I’d like to share these samples with the thread if that would be useful for anyone.

9 Likes

I just picked up a Digitone, my first Elektron device.

This thing is already so inspiring and so much more letting me get at “my” sound (retro-future sci-fi dance) in an immediate tactile way that the thought of all that touch-screen DAW-like menu diving with my MPC Live just to get arguably more sterile results is making me kind of nauseous.

Now I finally get why so many people rave about Electron gear and its workflows. The Digitone just “clicks” with me in ways other synths or sequencers never have. The closest I can compare it to is the way I feel about the immediacy of a Circuit or Circuit Mono, but it’s like those boxes we’re just preparing me for a Digitone.

2 Likes

Now that it’s been some time, I’ve seen a few MPC Lives out in the wild used for $750 which seems like a good value.

For DJing, I came across this little tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxeo0dq916s
It’s not too in depth but shows some capability.

Aside from the no disk streaming (which it seems can be easily managed by just unloading played tracks from RAM), it seems it could be manageable for DJing? The warping sounds solid.

Can anyone out there who has used the Octatrack for DJing compare the experience vs. using the MPC Live for DJing? Pros/Cons of each?

Noooooooooo!

Don’t do it.
Neither the OT or MPC live is a good fit for DJing without a shit ton of prep work, reasons are many…

You’re much better off getting a pair of CDJs and a mixer… or a standalone system like Prime 4 or the Pio… IME

Can both boxes be used for playing records? Yes. But for decent control you are still looking at connecting to an external DJ mixer. If I absolutely had to do it, I’d go OT over MPC live, as there is no disk streaming on the MPC and worrying about purging memory during a set is not my idea of “having fun on stage”…

6 Likes

I agree. I used ableton for djing before and hated it. You lost all the energy and hands on feel of djing.

If you DJ very loopy type music though I can see it working a lot better.

I think it’s totally possible but like the OT it’s all about workarounds and preparation. For me it takes the spontaneity out of DJing, which takes away some of the fun. If you already have an iPad or something else that runs the DJay app, I would highly recommend using the Reloop Mix Tour (or smg similar). It will then free your MPC/OT for other duties.

• it uses Spotify
1 Like

Alright, so I finally got around to getting all my Rytm samples together! I didn’t have as much time as I wanted for sampling, but I’m reasonably happy with what I was able to get. The Google Drive link below will download a zip with an MPC project, which has the samples sliced up and put into a few kits. Some have velocity and/or randomized layers, and all have a copy of the kit an octave up on pads B1 to B16, which is something I like doing for transitions and whatnot. It makes it very easy to transpose a kit up an octave in the Grid Editor, to play the kit an actual octave up. There’s a Keygroup Program called Shit Bass. It is shit, please feel free to promptly ignore it :thdw:

I’ve also included a folder called Strictly Samples for anyone without an MPC, but as most of these samples are chains, you’ll probably have to spend some time slicing them yourself.

One sample in this project does not come from the Rytm, it’s called Sine Warble and it’s something I made with the OP1’s FM synth long time ago. It’s a few sine waves with slight phasing and tuning differences. I’ve found it very useful in the MPC and I hope you do too!

Keep in mind these kits are a starting point, just a lil something I whipped together to take advantage of the sample slices and whatnot. They are probably too loud and could use some love, but that’s where you come in. Also worth noting that I don’t make techno or whatever, so these sounds are reasonably dinky. I like my beats kind of dinky, what can I say…

Really hope you enjoy them! Thanks for being an awesome forum, you guys just might make up my favorite spot on the entire interwebs :ecstatic:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1awRnD9bjrfuLyfUJDIx4zacePrTnyf0S?usp=sharing

PS - I’m kind of new to the MPC paradigm. If you guys have any suggestions about a better way to share the project or these programs, I’m all ears.

7 Likes