MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Hi Dan,

Thanks for reaching out. I think I can speak for everyone in the community and say that it’s much appreciated. Anyway, yes, I will send you an email posthaste. Talk soon…

Cheers!

*Edit — Email sent. Please watch for the following subject line:

“Hi Dan, it’s John (Elektron forum) re: MPC Live Support - Case No. 160…”

There are attachments, so if you don’t see it, maybe check your junk folder. :wink:

4 Likes

*Update — Email received. To be reviewed on Monday. I’ll keep y’all posted…

Cheers!

4 Likes

Yep Dan was the only solution…Keep us posted John!

welcome Dan! you probably won’t stick around but it’s good you visit.

Nice to see you here, your presence on GS makes people feel like Akai actually cares and listens.

Dan’s the man!

Thanks for dropping by

1 Like

Dan man! Welcome to the forum, I’m happy to see you around these parts. I hope you’ll find it more enjoyable than Gearslutz, I know I do haha…

I know this is not exactly the place for it, but there are some things I would like to see implemented on the Live that would completely change the game for me and, I’m sure, many others. Especially the Elektron wierdos :ecstatic:

1 - Modulation! An extensive mod matrix would be absolutely amazing. It could perhaps be a second tab in the LFO/Mod page of program edits. I think this would open up the sound design potential in a wonderful way. Imagine using a sample to modulate parameters in another sample, or having independent vibrato applied to each layer in a sample. It would be huge!

If a mod matrix isn’t in the cards, you guys could take a hint from the Elektron way and implement a few LFO’s with a diverse range of destinations. The Octatrack’s three LFO’s can modulate just about anything, and they have enough control that it kind of makes a mod matrix redundant. I could see the touch screen being put to great use if we could draw in custom LFO’s…

I know you guys have a lot of particular goals and ideas with the future of the MPC, but anything that could be done to open up modulation possibilities within the MPC would be enormously appreciated. Any chance you could comment on what the future holds in the way of modulation expansions?

2 - To take another hint from Elektron, trig conditions are a wonderful thing and they make it easy to turn a simple short sequence into something that constantly evolves and changes over time. I would love to see trig conditions implemented in the MPC’s sequencer.

3 - The looper. It is workable as it is, but it would be really nice to see it expounded upon. Having three or four looper tracks with variable speed and pre and post effect chains would be really amazing and would open up enormous possibilities for live use. I know that we can put loops into programs and sort of accomplish the same thing now, but it’s a bit clunky and not very quick or intuitive, which I find to be essential in a looper. Even just giving it the same real-time control of the now-almost-ancient DL4 would make a big difference. Having those controls for multiple loops would absolutely push the MPC into the top tier of what’s available for live looping, and probably open up the Live to a new customer base.

Re-thinking the looper and opening it up a bit could do a lot of good. A few upgrades to workflow and possibilities would be huge for all of the live loopers out there. I know I’m getting ahead of myself here, but perhaps the best way to do this would be to implement a new type of program specifically designed for looping.

Sorry to barrage you with a bit of a novel like this, but I’m really hopeful we can get some more sound design potential in the Live with modulation. It would really open up the instrument in a way that many users would love. I’m pretty sure it would make the Live irreplaceable for me. It almost is, to be honest, but a little bit of modulation would go a long way to keep up with the competition and turn this wonderful instrument you guys have made into an absolutely unstoppable monster.

Thank you for your time!

3 Likes

:+1:t5:

I’m curious how people are handling pattern (program) changes for Elektron boxes from the MPC (or the other way around). Does it work well these days?

I do often think about getting one having used an mpc1000 extensively in the past, but it would have to integrate easily into my heavily Elektron based setup for me to go for it. I did read a while ago it was awkward, but wondered if it had been addressed in recent updates?

it works, but one bar late…

1 Like

This is precisely what I was talking about in one of my earlier posts:

A man responsible for dozens of products, possibly hundreds of employees, and literally thousands of customers, graciously stops by a forum that he has never visited before, to make a single post out of concern for an actual bug (which may or may not be inherent to several Akai products) with the potential to destroy the hard work of serious professionals and hobbyists alike, strictly for the purposes of initiating a private email exchange between two parties, regarding said bug… Only to find himself immediately inundated with feature requests.

Is it a wonder nothing ever gets done?

Cheers!

2 Likes

why so dramatical? some people also said ‘hi’, so it’s not only feature requests, isn’t it?

and what is it about? >>“Is it a wonder nothing ever gets done?”
the crew already fixed a lot of things and fulfilled much feature requests, and they continue to deliver.

1 Like

I’m sorry, was I talking to you?

I clearly wasn’t taking a shot at Akai.

At any rate, you’re welcome to take whatever angle you like on this. My simple and otherwise pragmatic point remains the same.

Cheers!

1 Like

Cool. I hadn’t realized Dan was only here to talk to you, but I’ll be sure to keep that in mind for the rest of my life.

Heaven forbid we talk about the future of the MPC in this MPC thread…

Again, clearly not my point. And, as stated, I can’t stop you from “barraging the man with a bit of a novel” (your words, not mine), or taking my words out of context for that matter.

Hey, there’s no argument as to whether or not the MPC could use a little TLC; but a multitrack, variable speed looper, with pre and post effects chains… Really? If you can’t see how unwarranted that is, I can’t help you. Hell, you even acknowledged of your own volition, in your opening and closing statements, just how unseemly and long-winded your requests were. You don’t find that ironic?

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again… Focus, folks, focus! :wink:

Cheers!

3 Likes

You’ve really opened my eyes to how silly, unwarranted, and unseemly my requests are. Thank you so much John, you really saved the day here.

Have a great day guy.

2 Likes

Have at 'er, bud. Good luck.

Cheers!

I must say that I am really enjoying my MPC Live so far. Lot’s has happened since 2.0 and the changes that have happened up to 2.5 make it a fun and useful machine for me. The synths are decent, the Air effects are nice, and so far I had no crashes or odd behaviour.

4 Likes

I myself have put it to rest after a brief and intense affair. I’m back on the Octatrack now.

It always goes like this. A fling with something else, but then back to the hearth where the OT resides.

Though I always learn something new which I bring with me back. This time, to truly appreciate and put different time signatures per track to proper use.

2 Likes

please, lets not get into bickering mode ok? thanks

IMO everyone is free to express their opinions and wishes on this board as long as personal offense is kept to a minimum. Dan is also free to ignore feature request posts flung at him if he chooses to. Its all good.

I know alot of people want to expand the MPC to become a “killer product” - nothing wrong with that. But personally, right now I think Akai knows what they are doing, there are more important things to do first, and MPC 3 is a big one in this regard. We dont even know what that will bring yet, and they’re already working on it.

• Multitimrbal MIDI input (being worked on)
  • Disk streaming (being worked on)
  • Automation lanes in standalone (being worked on)
  • New arrangement mode and compatibility with Akai force projects (coming in MPC 3)

Once we have those, then focus can go to more exicitng things (but no need to try to make an MPC into an OT IMO)

8 Likes