MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Yeah, I’ve come to terms with either I get it right recording it live, or not at all. Undo is my friend.

1 Like

One of these?
Doesn’t seem to have aftertouch, though. I suppose that’s one of the things you’re looking for.

1 Like

They’re all right, but it’s primarily the keybed that the Reface does better. If I have to choose, then that’s my top priority.

https://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=188176&p=1760580&hilit=Factory#p1760580
Check user’s “stylesforfree” response
PM him to send you the files…

1 Like

Thank you for this.

Very much appreciated.

Yeah! I was able to pick up a used LPK25 Wireless (it seems to be out of production) and I absolutely love this setup. I ended up selling my OP1 to fund the Live, and the LPK has given me the portable keys I found myself missing from the OP1.

If you can handle mini keys I recommend it highly :thup:

1 Like

I know how you feel, I was initially pretty underwhelmed with the limited modulation options in the MPC. Especially with my first sampler being the ever deep OT. I’m really hopeful that someday they will implement a mod matrix, random slice playback, and other deeper functions, but for the time being I’ve learned to love the flexibility available with layering and polyphony. It’s a different kind of sound design than what I’m used to, but I constantly get great results.

Lately I’ve been building lots of keygroup programs with layers of samples all looping and swelling at different rates. It’s really awesome to hold a chord and have multiple layers coming in and out, playing off of each other and creating new rhythms together. And that’s only with one key pressed! You hold a chord and it can get absolutely heavenly :aw:

4 Likes

I know I’m spamming this thread and quoting myself here.
But!
These are my travel companions. I take them everywhere and I just can’t get enough of this ‘lil setup.
They even match :cool:

2 Likes

Thx. Found one in a store close enough where I live. Looking forward to trying it out.

That’s awesome! It was honestly pretty difficult to track one down for me, it took me a month or two to find the wireless version at a reasonable price. Hoping it suits you well!

1 Like

Yeah, I mean, the OT’s a modulation monster. On the other hand, there’s so much the Live can do, the OT can’t touch - so like always, it’s those apples and oranges again.

I’ve been on the OT so long, I need to be with the MPC for awhile to know if it’s actually better for me, or if it’s just fresh because everything about it feels new. But that it’s great, there’s no doubt.

Also to consider is the Korg NanoKey Studio USB/Bluetooth MIDI controller. A keyboard with 8 pads and 8 knobs, you can assign them to whatever you want via Midi Learn. It is small, and very light weigth.

I’ve really appreciated some of the latest post from @jurfin & @circuitghost

It’s nice to hear appreciation for what the Mpc is & has to offer. The comments have actually given me the confidence to go ahead and sell my Octatrack.

2 Likes

I was very torn on getting an MPC Live/X awhile back. Went with the Digitakt and loved it for awhile. Moved up to the Octatrack which I really love and wound up selling the DT. No regrets so far, but have considered adding an MPC into the mix. Still debating :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s gonna take me awhile before I have the guts to do that. But two such strong instruments, I can see how them competing for attention might be disruptive.

Mind you, I still haven’t sampled on the Live. Once I get there, the OT might be in more or less trouble, depending.

1 Like

I’m an all or nothing type person, so that is a real issue for me. It’s just constantly on my mind. I’ve not made a full track in about 7 years and I just want to learn the Live inside out and get the f**k on with it. I have so little free time or energy. So it won’t feel right to just keep it boxed up.

I love the Live’s UI and dislike (immensely) the OT’s. And when it comes down to it, the UI differences between these 2 machine is actually more important to me than the functionality.

I had a really great day yesterday. Enjoying the Sun and having a few beers with friends (I hadn’t drunk alcohol in almost 2 years and i’m practically a Hermit). We listened to loads of different music and I contemplated the differences between tracks/styles/compositions/equipment, and finally (and whilst acknowledging some of the comments here) in my heart I just knew that the Mpc was all I really wanted or needed. It really was an important moment of clarity for me. So, thanks again people. Please keep your observations and comments coming.

4 Likes

Dude. We could be twins. It’s literally where I am, too. I finish tracks from time to time, but I’m left exhausted afterwards.

Thing is, as I sit down and just play, ideas come easy. So I’m always thinking, it shouldn’t have to be this hard. If I get ideas by the piano, why is the flow gone when I go to my gear?

The MPC’s the first piece in awhile that says back to me, it’s not hard. You’ve just gone about it the wrong way.

Here’s hoping it’ll last as I aim for something more complete.

1 Like

I love this. Your take on things is soothing to my brain.

1 Like

The Live is pretty sick!

2 Likes

Sampling on the Live is super intuitive.

1 Like