MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Buy things for what they are not what they could be. if something doesn’t have the fundamentals of what you need then send it back cause it may never get fixed

3 Likes

Hear…hear…^

The way I see it, Akai clearly has a hard time correctly implementing:

• Multitimbral MIDI input
  • USB MIDI output
  • Graphical automation lanes
  • Solid timing when not MIDI clock master
  • Hard Disk Streaming
  • PDC in the MPC software version

The reasons for the challenges faced by the development of these features can only be speculated without an insight to the software on a deeper level. I can only hope Akai has taken this to heart and will be finally able to improve/resolve these issues when we get to MPC 3.0, which might allow codebase rewrites in the fundamentals holding back these things. But without insight to the whole codebase, we cannot know how all this will unfold in the real world.

4 Likes

I bought a djm 450 and i play the songs i make in mpc live to one djm track, and the mpc looper to the other djm track. Very nice way to mix my own songs together.

3 Likes

Nothing personal to anyone, it’s all good, but it also seems to be a trend for people to buy unfinished products and then expect x, y, or z feature to be added with no idea or say in the matter if it will be implemented or not. Personally I wish companies never adopted this “update with new features” paradigm and just produced finished products, or at least if they wouldn’t advertise or promote that updates are part of the plan. From what I read it seems not to benefit but rather to dissatisfy a majority of people who feel they expect some thing or are entitled to it instead of just respecting what a device does and maybe being surprised with a bonus feature now and again. This whole wanting stuff in updates seems like it’s not healthy in general for a lot of gearheadz mental space…

8 Likes

But when the features come then I’ll finally be able to win a grammy

12 Likes

Haha… lol
Did you take take that shot?

I don’t want to offend people or seem like I’m judgmental, I really just want folks to be happy and not feel let down or affected by things out of their control. I was born in a city but sort of ducked out of the mainstream and have been living alternatively surrounded by nature for the last 15 years or so. It’s a peaceful existence and I have just been surprised by a lot of things I’ve read on the forum here since I joined, I don’t do any other social media and have never even owned a cell phone. I learned about GAS, and all sorts of stuff. I kind of expected a bunch of people stoked with these awesome groove boxes, and there are, but there’s a lot of disappointment, frustration, entitlement, ego boosting, people upset, angry even… I would just like to see those folks happy and sometimes the best way is to make decisions that avoid letting things like that happen to you. Again I’m not judging anyone, I’m no better or worse than anyone here regardless of what we input to the board, but I do speak my truth. Life is weird and it can take a lot just to make it through the day sometimes, I’m just reflecting on my experience… Wish the nauts the best!
May you all make some good music…

5 Likes

Is that an SP202?

You need to eat more bro! :grimacing:

1 Like

the coroner said he die of concussion from the bass of those huge speakers
:facepunch:

4 Likes

Nah it’s from akai on Instagram. sorry to disappoint people, I am very much alive and fleshy

3 Likes

I think people being disappointed by the issues/omissions in the MPCs is because Akai originally overpromised and undelivered. Also the mistrust and disappointment stems from NuKai (Numark-owned Akai, the one in operation now) having a long history of bringing beta-stage products out, which get discontinued before ever reaching proper fully working status.

The new MPCs are almost like the “perfect MPC” I hoped would exist ever since becoming an MPC fanboy almost ten years ago. If these remaining issues ever get addressed, they will become modern classics for sure. So also some part of the frustrations can come from “UGH, cmon Akai! were so close!” feelings.

IME certain elektron boxes evoke the exact same feelings among nauts… :nyan: A sign of obsessive, passionate fandom mixed in with a bit of Stockholm syndrome…

1 Like

yes (to be fair) but it’s in the workarounds (on all brands) that I/we can achieve something close to what we want & also maybe discover a new technique.

Beautiful words :clap::clap::clap:… but asking for improve/resolve issues that should not be here since day one but after 2 years is still there is demanding too much?

Something like this

Me prefer this way too… I know what a product can do and i buy it. In the retraction time delay i try to see if’s my thing. If’s not, i sent it back and save my money with no hard feelings and peace and love

I remember when i bought the Toraiz SP16. 1600€ and some days later, sent it back. Still now i think is overpriced, very limited and undelivered and sent it back was the right decision

Word… I tried to make it clear it wasn’t a personal reply, not even really about MPC, I just get triggered by things and go into my philosophical gear buying rants… :grin:

2 Likes

Hi.

I have an SD card in the Live that i can’t access in either browser or save mode. It was correctly formatted & in the browser/Save menu appears under ‘Internal’ with the name i gave it (MPC Samples)

I simply cannot select it, or in fact change it from ‘Internal’ to anything else shown.

I’m able to switch from 'Places / Content / Expansions, and select any of the options. In any other screen or menu i’m able to select whatever i choose, So there’s not a problem with touch screen.

I had access to the SD card previously, but not since updating to OS 2.5 & activating Splice (Splice account now deleted)

I’ve also tried different SD cards, but the problem persists.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Tried contacting Akai support?

Can you downgrade your OS to 2.4 and check if it works in the old version?

I’ve read about new issues creeping in after the 2.5… could be related

I’ve sent Akai a message.

Not holding my breath though, as Akai support have been pretty non communicative with questions and issues i’ve had.

I’ve posted on Mpc User forums too. Not holding out much hope there either.

I’ll change the OS and see what happens. I’ll report back at some point.

Thank you!

Try on gearslutz in this post https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1122864-mpc-live-538.html?highlight=Mpc+live

Someone’s here from akai, xparis001, could help you

Will do. Thanks

I reinstalled OS 2.4 and it made no difference.

Now back on 2.5 and still have the issue.

I’ll give Gearslutz a go.

Thanks again.