MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

For MPC-Live owners i would recommend sell and upgrade to Akai Force

Care to elaborate?

Force: Much nicer cosmetic design for little more $$$ and GUI and faster workflow. I like the crossfader and pads and it sounds great.
Live: Never liked the design of it as it basically a MPC Touch --MPC-X is the one to go for if you want to keep the history and look and feel -X has mana in spades
Iā€™m a big fan of the legacy of MPC --it has to look right --so many great records made with the beast.

2 Likes

Your second pic, Force and Monologue XD is what I aim for in the future, but Iā€™m happy with the Live at the moment.
Main reason why Iā€™d want a Force is how the step sequencer works and the clip workflow.

1 Like

The DIN MIDI on dongles turned me off the Force immediately. Well, that and the name, because Iā€™m not 12 years old (smirk).

Iā€™m enjoying the Live though, enough so that I have considered upgrading to the X. That said, I fly with my gear regularly, so if I did get the X it still wouldnā€™t replace the Live for me. Not sold on the Force at all.

Cheers!

1 Like

For me its force and MPC live. Even if MPC X has all the buttons and all that, its not a portable unit. I donā€™t have a car and not planning to get one either.

The DIN MIDI dongles are a bit of a bummer, but other than that I have no qualms with the force (meh crossfader implementation aside, the curves are not skratch-friendly, fader rails feel cheap yadda yadda :nyan: ). As for the name, I used to own a synth called LITTLE PHATTY so you cant hurt me no more :diddly:

And about that splice sub, I read from GS that activating the sub properly takes some messing about before youā€™re done it properly. When youā€™ve done it properly, all content should be available.

1 Like

is this true?

Unfortunately it doesnā€™t seem to be the case via the Akai free trial.

Iā€™m up and running with the free 3 month trial.

My Splice account shows confirmation of these trial details but you only have access to 9 free Sample packs. All attempts to download samples outside these 9 packs result in a message saying those sounds are unavailable with this trial. To get full access you have to go with Spliceā€™s 14 day free trial.

So you did as outlined here?

If you only get a small subset of sounds with the Akai promo, thats lame indeed

Should be possible, in theory at least. The trickiest part seems to be finding a NAS that can connect to the USB ports on the MPC - unless you can also connect an ext drive straight into the big USB 3 port directly? If that works, then there are plenty of NAS drives in the shops with a USB 3 port that you could use.

Email from Splice.
ā€œThanks for for your interest in Splice! Every Splice subscription starts with a free trial. When youā€™re on the free trial, you can browse, like, and repack any of the samples we offer in our 2 million+ library of sounds. You can also download any samples that cost 0 credits. If you wish to download samples that cost 1 or more credits, youā€™ll need to upgrade to the paid subscriptionā€

So far the Live sounds pretty right to me, so I can live with its looks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got the same type of message, but I can download all the sounds I want, within the 100 a month limit.

1 Like

I am very happy with my mpc live
Unfortunately it is broken (something is wrong with the output)
Now i might be able to swap for a Force
It might be ā€˜betterā€™ to swap for functionality
But i love the lack of colors and lights on my live
Black pads are fantastic!

Within the 3 months or 14 Days trial?

I made a Splice account to try and forget that the 2.5 update is a joke. It was difficult, because Akai messed up AkaiPro account credentials for a lot of users on their main website (changed passwords without advising people, password change form was also sometimes broken for extra fun), preventing people from logging in and getting the Splice promo code. I deleted the Splice account less than 5 minutes later: I need less bad UX and outdated web apps in my life, not more, and I certainly donā€™t want to spend time working around bad UX for what amounts to a samples manager.

1 Like

Still no proper automation editing in standaloneā€¦

1 Like

with the 3 months, using the code you get on your account page.
@tobee I agree Splice is utter shit, looks terrible, but Iā€™ll milk for the free samples I can get before cancelling.

1 Like

Second that ^
MPC Liveā€™s portability canā€™t be beaten!

1 Like

I really donā€™t understant the reason to not adress some MiDi connections problems. MPC Live is a great product but is pretty useless when you sync it in slave. I donā€™t know if is a bad decision to not adress it or a strugle to implement itā€¦ since 2 years!

Now is trend the brands deliver unfinished products and point that some missed feature will be added later onā€¦
You keep wainting and stay patient butā€¦ Itā€™s been 2 years waiting for some basic stuff and meanwhile they keep putting out new gears with the same policy, use client as a beta tester, and sometimes with the waited missed feature in a new gear and later on they drop the suport on the old unfinished product and you are screwed up! Yeah they have added some features and some are questionable to not say useless.
They ak for repporting problems and do features request to pretend that they hear their custumers but in reality they donā€™t really care about what you say!

1 Like