MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Haven’t seen the gearslutz thread in forever, what’s on the roadmap now?

Disk streaming, multi mode, automation lanes, better quality warping, and PDC are some of the things confirmed by Dan. I know there are some other improvements that have been touched on, but I can’t remember specifics… Going back to the thread, I now realize that Yorgos Arabatzis is the one who prompted an initial response from Dan. Thanks Yorgos!

5 Likes

I wonder how workable/easy it will be compared to Elektron’s p-locking system. I came to realize this single workflow idea became so central for me since I’ve been a user of them Swedish machines for so long, I now rely on it heavily to enjoy myself while making music. If Akai can make it work, I’ll be a happy camper :slight_smile: Was there any talk about where that would be implemented, like in Grid view or in the step sequencer (or both) ?

Okay, my fellow LIVE users, I have but one critical question…

I have read reports of the odd crash. Now, whether or not those reports are credible, is neither here nor there to me. I mean, don’t get me wrong, hopefully crashes are not a common thing; but in the event that one were to happen onstage, I could deal with that. However, what I do want to know is, if and when the MPC Live does crash, does it make any noise, or is it a silent affair?

I’m imagining a situation wherein I’ve got the main outs plugged directly into my powered speakers… If the sound were to just up and quit, that’s one thing; but if it’s likely to start screaming at people, in some satanic one-bit sample loop, with a thousand watts behind it, that would be somewhat less than ideal (smirk).

Anyone have any experience in this domain?

Cheers!

Dan never explained the details, but yeah I agree with you about plocks. They’ve been an invaluable feature of the Elektron workflow. It’s hard to imagine a better way for automating parameters, but I’m also open to a different approach if it utilized the MPC’s touch screen. I mean, if it was more DAW-like, then parameters could have gradual transitions… whatever it ends up being, I will continue to hold onto my Octatrack for its unique approach.

1 Like

I’ve had my MPC Live crash on me twice in the two years of owning it. In both situations the MPC went silent, although starting up the MPC always creates a faint popping sound initially. I don’t know if other people experience this…

1 Like

Thanks, ogiobo! That’s encouraging to hear anyway. A bout of temporary silence and a faint pop, that’s something I could deal with discreetly enough.

If anyone has a different experience to share, I’m all ears… (grin).

Cheers!

1 Like

I’ve had issues where powering off after hours of use the Live wouldn’t turn back on properly, failing to initialize storage and WiFi. I thought it was overheating, but it turns out it had intermittent problems with the SD card I was using. Since then I switched to an SSD and it’s been fine, but I stopped using it live because the above was happening just before a show… it’s nowhere near as stable as my MPC 1000 was.

Also it boots way slower when on battery, I assume there is a power saving mode.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight, Ivan! Much appreciated. That said, I bought the MPC Live specifically for an upcoming tour, so it’s going onstage whether it’s ready or not. I’m just trying to gauge the need for fail-safes and contingency plans. It helps to know what to expect in the event of a crash anyway. And it definitely won’t be running on battery power onstage.

Cheers!

1 Like

I think theres a possibility they’ll add it to step mode too, maschine does p-locks in step mode, hold a pad twist a knob. Works great.

1 Like

The software version, does have automation / controller lane drawing already. I guess they’ll be looking at moving that over to the standalone machines.

2 Likes

You’re welcome man :wink: Hoping all goes well!
I feel super excited about the future of the MPC line!
@JohntheSavage
Make sure you have backup external storage devices with you (SSD,SD,USB drives etc.) cause sometimes you have to deal with faulty ones…

2 Likes

Yessir, I’m all over it. Indeed it’s imperative when you play for your supper (wink).

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi everyone. I just bought a Live and have a very simple question regarding samples. (Running 2.4 OS)

Is there any way I can trim a sample the way I like it and then save it purely as a wav file to my external drive? I would love to do some sample collection and management with this device without having to nest the sample files within programs or projects. (This method is also nice for sampling wherever I go and then being able to load the sample files quickly into whatever DAW I’m using at home.)
Or at least a way to save the sample as a .snd file (or whatever it’s called now.)? I can’t find any option for simple wav or sound save in Edit Mode.

Thanks.

Yes and no.
You can but not from the edit screen, you assign it to a pad first, then go to the main screen, click the pencil on the bottom right (program) and Save Current Sample.

MASSIVE PITA!

1 Like

Lol!
I think I was able to do this with a 2000XL, which is 20 years old :slight_smile:
So will it then be saved as a single wav file?
Thanks for the tip!

Or when you save the project, all files will be saved too, but then you would have to connect to a computer and manage the files there.
One of the MPC’s weirdest things.

1 Like

I bought an mpc live this week, for making lofi hiphop in my living room and sample animal sounds with nu children
Although i love nu ar-2 and A4-2, this mpc live Amazed me completely
It feels so relaxed to nake music with it, the sound is so good and there is so much creativity in using samples and the pads are so good!

3 Likes

You don’t actually need to connect to a computer per se. Whenever you activate controller mode, all the connected cards/usb sticks/disks plus the internal HDD/SSD (if installed) mount up as normal drives to any USB host on the other end of the cable. You can open the files up with the force or connect it to a NAS USB port or whatever.

Is there an easy way to copy a whole pad bank from one program to another (or within programs)?
I could find a workaround; it just seems like it would be a logical option, but it’s not in the manual.