MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Talking about ‘hardware timestretching’ in general… Compared to software (ableton?) timestretching all seems lacking in that department… MPC is no exception.

and I’ve used better stretching than ableton’s…

It’s kinda of confusing how they are implemented…
To play the pads in scale or chord mode you go to Pad Perform mode and pick a scale or set of chord, so far all good, press record/play tap away and you’re ready
BUT
once you leave pad perform mode, it all reverts to the standard setting, so no scales…

2 Likes

MPC 2.4 just announced, ready to drop early Feb. Only seen new AIR FX mentioned so far though.

3 Likes

The scales and chords mode is getting more love in the future (ie. the new chord and scale features of the force will be added to MPC OS in the future)

2 Likes

Im hoping Air FX and multitibral MIDI, those additions alone would make me v happy!

Just read this from Akai Dan @ GS:

2.4 will be out early feb
Air FX added
Sidechain added (motherducker, 8 sidechain busses)
Improved clip programs (they no longer stop playback by default when you change track)

Sadly, multitibral MIDI is still ways off :zonked:

4 Likes

Very cool.

There was a link to a french article about the new air fx. The new channelstrip looks exactly what a standalone MPC needs! Gate, Comp, EQ… With the added sidechain compression thrown in, there’s very little excuses anymore for not getting a great mix done ITMPC

Loving that we are getting a new freq shifter as well. And new reverbs and delays are always welcome :nyan:

1 Like

Yep. The effects were the unit’s weekest point sound-wise.

Pretty-much why so far, I’ve been using it to play-back 3 stereo stems, which have been put together in Cubase.

If the effects are improved, I might be able to produce a project on the unit itself (or on the software version) for gigs.

MPC 2.4 is dropping today! Good times ahead :loopy:

Seems like in addition to the new air fx, we also get a shift + stop command and next sequence will actually remember its state even if exiting next seq mode.

MPC 2.4 will be my # focus feb

4 Likes

What’s shift stop command do?

I’ve seen a few comments on that. Some people are saying that it’s like a play position reset and midi panic mechanism. Not too different to double-tap stop.

Reckon we’ll find out properly, later today.

I pushed hard for a way to reset the play head to start of sequence. Double tap stop was always the behavior I was used to. The inability to fluidly do this on the Live was annoying especially when using clip programs. The issue which requires this functionality is that launching a clip starts the sequence from wherever that play head is. In order to get clips to launch in time with sequenced events on other tracks there needed to be a way to quickly reset the play head to the start of the sequence. X owners can ignore this as the X has locate buttons on the hardware. Live really needed a few more physical buttons, but I’ll happily take shortcuts.

Tapping stop twice would have been my preference but was told that was already used for stopping all audio. It would also be my preference that launching clips did not start the sequencer so they behaved more,like a pad hold or pad loop.

1 Like

this update should make you happy then, as also the “clips stop playback when switching tracks” issue is fixed in 2.4 :nyan:

Oh man, I was one minute away from buying an MPC Live. Ended up being deciding on a Digitakt and a Wavedrum for the same price, so I’m happy, but definitely still looking hard at an MPC Live now that these decent updates are rolling in.

If and when they finally add portamento/glide to keygroups, I’ll finally have to bite the bullet and grab one. Until then, I can simultaneously hold desire and restraint, difficult as it is…

Yeah this wasn’t as much of an issue as there has been a known workaround for this for a while now

2.4 is reportedly now available.

3 Likes

I just downloaded it at work and will install when I get home today. I am hoping it fixes an issue I am having with sequencing the Tasty Chips GR-1.

I bought the MPC on release, hoping for proper support from Akai. I almost sold the machine several times out of frustration, but never did. Looking at the latest updates (2.3 and 2.4), I’m finally starting to feel good about the MPC, it seems that slowly but surely Akai is bringing their machine to where it needs to go. Good times ahead indeed.

Wishing everyone a happy 2.4 :grinning::+1:

7 Likes