MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Thank you @bambrose!

If you touch a parameter on the screen, it becomes selected, with a red outline, and then the big knob changes itā€™s value. Or with the q links when a row is selected in orange the respective q links adjust those parameters, selectable with the q link button.

Brilliant! Iā€™m pretty sold, then!

Thanks for the info!

Just buyer beware, the biggest short coming of the screen, and arguably of the whole thing, is the grid edit mode. Itā€™s terribly laid out and doesnā€™t make sense how the touch screen is used for it imo.
Even the impc app is better for that.
But I am pretty sure Akai is working on that, from what I read at GS.

5 Likes

Been experimenting with grimey distorsion and while getting something that sounds nice for my taste takes time, usable results can definitely be obtained. :thup:

The grid edit is indeed quite bad, IMO. Really wishing for some way to cursor and twist note positions and velocities.

3 Likes

I use it on most tracks and itā€™s pretty much perfect for my sounds.

Not sure if it was the sound quality, the screen pinching and tool switching in grid edit, the intermittent sample auditions in the browser, the screen dimming in controller mode, or the lack of true real-time quantizing preview after record.

I packed it up my MPC X and it was accepted for a return today.

I could work with it if I had to. Thereā€™s not much it canā€™t do with enough grinding.

Soo seems like the MPC clips will finally be getting some more love

A screenshot from the upcoming APC live manual hints at a new clip launch view. No doubt this view will also make it to the MPC X and MPC live models.

This new view will undoubtedly be introduced in MPC software/standalone as soon as APC live is released

Nice! Where did you get the manual from? Any other notable features?

Thatā€™s a picture from the leaked APC live pdfā€™s. Dont hAve them myself, but should be still somewhere on the internets.

Say WHAT?! Iā€™ve been sorely dissatisfied with the mpc timestretch. Destroys the audio integrity entireky if used fir more tgan micro adjustments. There has been a bit if a workaround thru using slices, which have the potential for tasty signature fittings. Octa has been quite nice in this task, what are you talking about?

Yeh, that 16 level bit is junk

just turn warp on and 16 levels (pitch) will retain the sample timing

What would you rather have if you had to choose between these two choices-

An MPC Live and MPC X?

Or

An MPC Live and Octatrack mk2?

Mpc live hands down. Hated the octatrack tbh.

Or is this a choice between either pair? Derp. If so I would get the live and octatrack *gasp! I know, but I had an octatrack with an mpcs 1000 for a while and the pair was great. I ran 2 stereo outs of the mpc into the ins of the octatrack and added fx and resampled stuff.
Tbh I think I started really disliking the octatrack after I sold the mpc. I thought wrongly that the octatrack would cover me off for both! I doesnā€™t!

7 Likes

I like this response! Thank you.

1 Like

X and OTmk2 = best kombo :diddly:

but live & OTmk2 is enough for me personally

It will be fascinating to watch the upcoming APC live unfoldā€¦ who knows, maybe APC & OTmk2 will be the ultimate combo with the least overlap?

1 Like

Well, theyā€™re so different that it depends entirely on what you want to do.

The OT is the ultimate sample mangling exploration device, and is very good for getting new ideas and doing unusual things. Recording beat-locked loops from other devices it a more streamlined workflow. Speaking of workflow, learning the capabilities of the machine is going to fry your brain, but this also mean that the machine can be very flexible in how you use it. Itā€™s also better in a live set situation IMO, for the reasons discussed many times here.

The MPC X is a complete studio in a box, itā€™s the Live but bigger so essentially much closer to a DAW in a box (not a fan of the appellation but oh well, itā€™s close enough), but with more buttons and I/O, better suited to be the center of a studio than the Live (although arguably the Live can do it too).

If it was me, Iā€™d go for the OT (I actually have that Live + OT combo at home myself), because it brings different functionalities and possibilities in your setup (like scenes. OMG, scenes).

Can any mpc users explain how the current mpcs handle scales and chords. Currently reading the manual but itā€™s a little confusing as itā€™s mentioned in events and in pad perform mode.

Iā€™m looking at it from the point of view of a past Maschine user. Has scales/ chords been implemented in the new synths. Iā€™m very interested in an MPC but the selling point for Maschine for me is the ability to select chords and scales as I donā€™t play keys.