MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Cool! Thanks! I like sound design on the Elektrons, but I think I’ll like arranging better on the MPC.

Plus the fact I would be able to easily grab sounds from my computer or from my hardware- load them into the MPC, and be able to arrange/rearrange them on my bed/couch just sounds totally necessary.

The tech of the MPC Live is pretty crazy considering what’s currently out there in the sampler/drum machine range.

I respect the machine simply for how advanced the technology is. Pretty crazy.

1 Like

I think getting a basic loop going on the MPC is way faster than on the OT, but getting to know it properly might take longer

2 Likes

I am the opposite, I couldn’t stand the octatrack. Any feature I didn’t use in a week I had to re learn, nothing was simple or intuitive making using it for more than a 4 bar loop horrendous.
The mpc is dead easy. But I’ve owned a couple before.

3 Likes

Btw - the new synths on the MPC sound really good. Some interesting little quirky features in there too.

2 Likes

I tested the synth yesterday and found them OK, but “sound really good” is definitely not how I would describe it.

TubeSynth’s filter is barely usable, sound terrible when filtering more than the high end.
Effects at the end are just as bad as the internal MPC ones, especially chorus and reverb.
I would never use Bassline for acid stuff, again the filter is not up to par with … well, everything else I have which can be used for acid.

Overall, I’d say the sound is in the cheap VST territory, good to have for utility sounds but unlikely to be used as a “frontline” sound, as far as I’m concerned. When I see what people like Bram Bos are doing on platforms like iOS, I don’t see why we don’t see quality stuff like that on the MPC platform, but it makes me a bit sad.

1 Like

I have to agree with you… Cheap VST territory is spot on. I foresee more
plugins making their way to standalone and more than likely the pay to play variety. Unfortunately I doubt they will be on par, never mind surpass, what’s available on iOS.

It’s cool though if they leave it to developers like AIR so AKAI can focus more developing the OS.

The arp implementation has me hopeful.

1 Like

oh come on guys, these are nice synths with lots of parameters! just try to automate them a little, and you’ll see.
also it was really unexpected. i mean, when was the last time you saw synth’s on sampler? dual vco on rytm? :))

9 Likes

I did spend an evening on each synth and gave it my best. Either I suck at using them (quite possible indeed) or they simply suit you better than me. Not hating though, I sure am glad they made some MPC users happy :+1::blush:

That should be their main strategy IMO. Diluting dev time by unexpected vst’s on top of new (needed) functionality and on top of bug fixing, seems like a poor investment of time & resources. Would be much better to leave capable and specialized devs doing that by opening the MPC standalone plugin architecture and maybe provide small incentives, so Akai can focus on what’s theirs, the quirky OS that also needs quite a bit of ironing (UI/UX improvements, disk streaming, proper automation sequencing, etc).

Wouldn’t mind it if it meant a Model 15 or RippleMaker on the Live :heart_eyes:

I guess in the end I’m really just frustrated because if the MPC was the awesome thing it could be, it would be desert island material. I still use mine regularly, but I wish I could use it more.

OK, but not everything is about acid or more extreme filter settings.

Honestly, I quite like the new synths, but I’m using them in conjunction with a lot more kit. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you check further up this thread, it’s not just me who quite likes the new synths.

Edit: the other way of looking at the new synths is - sketchpad tools, when working away from the studio. Midi can later be pointed at other external synths.

3 Likes

It’s a great platform for other vst developers. I hope Akai opens their box for others too and soon we can all play our favourite vst synth via this all-in-one standalone unit. I’m still missing multitimbrality, track switching, also clip player is a little strange but it definately has a lot of potential. Autosampler is a great feature too. Cannot wait for future updates.

1 Like

The AIR/AKAI-synths are nice and sometimes could fill a gap, but personally I´m not interested in more synths. I would like to see automation lines in the upcoming update! This feature is essential for me.

5 Likes

Ditto.

More focus on core sampling and sequencing features.

1 Like

That is quite a big ask though, thousands of developers including big name long running companies most of which are charging for apps. They’re kind of sticking a synth in as a bonus, no one expects a sampler to come with a synth. I’m just thankful to live in an age where I can fit an iPad (countless synths FX and sequencers) and a battery powered MPC with a built in synth in my bag without even filling it :ecstatic: I mean I’ve got a model D on my phone, it’s ridiculous

I kind of want to jump back on the MPC hype. I wish they’d just put oleds on the q links for the live. Would have made a world of difference

6 Likes

You do get feedback about what going on with the q link knobs on a 7 inch colour screen right next to them so they probably thought that was enough…

Yes, seeing as it’s a sequencer and sampler first and foremost!

Yeah, definitely agree!
Shame there’s such a huge size difference between the Live and X. The OLED/Q-links on X really improve usability.

1 Like

The Live is supposed to be small/portable and the X is studio sized! To be fair the Live is £800 new and the X is £1700 The X costs twice as much as the Live, there had better be some advantages! Personally the only thing I wanted from the X was the CV, but I wasn’t paying the best part of a grand for that, plus the Live is battery/portable…

I wholeheartedly agree with all of this. I feel like pay to play plugs are on their way to the MPC. It makes sense considering they included expansion packs but charge for others and are about to integrate splice subscription service.

I’ve been using a zoom u44 to serve as my iPad interface which I route to Live. With this setup I get XLR inputs and MIDI I/O. Fully battery powered… its ridiculous.
The design and UI have their weak points for sure but the pros far outweigh the cons. As long as development continues my gripes will certainly diminish.

3 Likes

And tbh some of those apps sometimes feel like abandonware, where as the live is growing in capability steadily since its release!
Multi midi in and automation lanes please!

5 Likes

Hey so ive had the mpc live for a while now and like it. Use it more for a midi sequencer and a pad midi keyboard. So one thing i could never get it to do is make pattern with odd steps like on any electron. For examples you have a 16 note/step pattern and only want to use 3, 5, 6, 7, 9,11 steps . I use this fulor acid lines and eucidan rytms kind of stuff.

Is their a way to do it with the mpc live ?