MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

I know that feeling…

2 Likes

Still no mono legato/glide for key groups?

1 Like

If it ain’t there yet I’m sure it’s coming, Akai are doing pretty well with this one considering the track record.

2 Likes

Yea. that’s still a bummer

1 Like

FWIW I use my live as the master, because the live’s looper will not work otherwise. I also like to settle on a specific drum pad configuration, and then use that same pad config on all of my drumkit programs for easy auditioning of the same drumpatterns with different sounding kits. If you’d use kits that had all kicks, all snares etc you cant audition grooves with diff kits as fluently IME… Besides, if you feel the need to multiplex a drum track out for more detailed mixing/editing, there’s always the option of explode tracks, which should automagically divide all drum pads to their own tracks… or is this function not on the standalone? cant rem right now…

Okay so lets dive into this 2.3 now! Lets hope no nasty new bugs to existing functionality showed up…

EDIT: So erm, we got sorta like a drum synth engine now as well! I wonder just how many instances I can get… That autosampler and note split function are great adds to! hmm, phrase sampling… hoping this works with MIDI too

1 Like

Yeah, that was my kind of thought process:

Track 01 -> Program 01 Kicks = 128 mapped kick drums
Track 02 -> Program 02 Snares = 128 mapped snares
and so forth

Seems to me that is the best approach?

One day I’ll understand MPC’s better :smiley:

1 Like

if you do it like that then you’d need to individually transpose each track for auditioning the same drum pattern played by other kits.

you could just as well use just a single drum program (“MyKit3342b”) and a single track for the whole drum pattern, change the kit while the drum pattern is playing back, until you find a kit that works particularly well for that specific drum pattern, and THEN use “explode tracks” (main menu - track section / pencil icon - EXPLODE) function to get to your original suggested track layout (track 1 becomes kit x pad 1’s MIDI, track 2 becomes kit x pad 2’s MIDI, track 3 pad 3 and so on…)

Technically both approaches are just as valid, I personally prefer the auditioning flexibility of drumkits vs kits with just one type of sounds

2 Likes

I thought multi timbral midi was the craze everybody was after - I was certainly

I still would like to play my ND2 with the MPC using one midi program sending to the 6 channels of the ND2

2 Likes

sadly, my liveset wont load in 2.3 standalone anymore, critical memory usage, of something like that. on previous firmwares it was loading with ‘low memory’ message, and was working ok.
i wonder, if it’s because of the new fx gui’s.
good thing, that mpclive is downgradable anytime, so i can tweak my set… sent my backup to akaidan, will see how it goes.

1 Like

i’ve been wondering about this as i have zero interest in any of the new VST instruments and the only new features i’m interested in have to do with basic workflow shortcuts. not sure this warrants an upgrade especially is it’s just going to chew through more RAM. i was going to ask Dan whether it’s possible to delete all the bloatware once upgraded.

Well, if everybody is the same dozen people who post about it continuously on most forums :wink:

Personally I have never plugged a midi lead in, I bought it as a self contained portable drum machine, so the new features are far better for me than external midi control, I use my DAW for that.

i don’t suppose we’re talking about the same thing… all good bud

That would be nice but since the mpc is meant to be the “center” of the studio, I still think a better automation/p-lock support is more important.

I too feel like it would have been nice to get the existing functionality polished before adding new stuff… But it is what it is. I’m sure the bean counters at Akai thought the 2.3 additions would bring more new users to the standalones than pleasing existing customers… But at least we got MODE + pad and crossfade loops, so I am still hopeful that all the requested enhancements to existing stuff will also follow eventually.

1 Like

Once it has proper midi CC / param automation support I’ll buy it (again)

2 Likes

yeah, also arp - it was hugely requested. as well as fx presets.
i dunno, i have the feeling that they listen to existing customers

Have this feeling too but don’t wanna wait like… forever

I think this is more a marketing stuff, than proving that they hear their customers and early adopters! They now that other groove boxes with synths were getting more sales and attention.
The MPC Live is a interesting concept but until now it doesn’t work well ass they sell it.
Is true it getting better update after update… but i don’t think is fair to wait years to delivery what you already sell. If you buy something and after

I think that Muti Timbral, Side Chain, Glide/Legato, Automation are the top of the requests.

If you follow inmusicbrands, maybe you’ll remember when they put out the new MPC’s, some time after, they updated the price (200€+) more than the announced selling price because they’ve thinking that the new MPC’s will be the tool to get for music production sttuf and some time later, they drop the price (-200€) to the announced selling price.
Now they drop the price of Prime line dj products to up to 50%.
I think if the things works as they want they never drop the prices like this. Maybe if they hear better their customers and early adopters everybody will be happy.

I think you should never promise something that you don’t know if you can deliver. It’s not cool saying that something is a planned feature just to make people’s keeping faith in something that we don’t know when it could come!
Things like this could be… tragic (Mr. Omar on Everybody Hates Chris)

Please dont get me wrong. I’ve to say thanks and i’m happy with this update. I’m happy Menu+Pad, 3 Plugin Instruments, Auto Sampler, Realtime Crossfade, Arpeggiator and Phrase Looper is sad that Muti Timbral, Glide/Legato, Automation, Side Chain, the top of the requests, the “disk streaming” for the live set purposes, akai’s promise, didn’t get a chance.
Be always grateful but i’m still hungry!

MPC Live update is looking and feeling pretty nice.

Are you talking about Overbridge!!!

1 Like

Does anyone have a PDF of the latest MPC Live manual?