MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

I think the best is to sync both song mode and arranger mode in each machine.

yes, but this will not work for DT & DN as they donā€™t have proper songmodes.

Ah, right.

i dunno, iā€™m fine with my a4-rytm being late after switching to next sequence. helps to smooth the transition.

is there anyone, whoā€™s using mpc live input while playing?
my mpclive is midi master, got some stuff synced to it via midi thru box (elektron analog four, for example). and they sound perfectly in sync, if i plug them into mixer. but if i plug them in mpc live input, and turn monitoring inputs - it always sounds with latency, not a huge one, but still. not usable at all for percussive stuff.
and defeats whole looper thing for me

I have noticed the same problem. I guess itā€™s a limitation. Limitations are good?

1 Like

Iā€™ve been thinking about selling my MPC 2500 for the Live, but things like this keep me from doing it.

Are you saying the incoming audio has latency? Are you hooked up to the computer (in controller mode)?

Just seems crazy to me that even the MPC 500 can monitor audio while the sequence plays & you can record, while the sequence plays, no latency whatsoever, but the MPC Live has latency?

If this is true, I would think it is a bugā€¦ & hopefully it gets straightened out. The Live seems amazing in so many ways (the X too, but costs a little more than I want to pay).

I actually love limitations, just depends on the limitation :level_slider::control_knobs:

IIRC there is some latency when monitoring through the live. But recording with the looper sounds like its synced ok. I always use the looper with monitoring off so not sure about any latency issues personally.

Can you try using the looper recording with monitoring off to see if it still introduces latency that way?

2 Likes

Yeah, I havenā€™t noticed any latency with the looper.
But I also only really use it for guitar stuff, so not very percussive typically.

I asked the Live users over in MPC forums about latency & 1 response was:

I know people had issue with midi latency in controller mode, using the mpc software because the Audio Device Type was not ASIO and they did not select the right Device.

Hopefully this helpsā€¦but if weā€™re talking software & using the MPC Live as a controller there could be a lot of reasons for latency.

tried it, it sounds the same, with or without monitoring :confused:

This is an issue. The best way I have found around it is to sample using the looper and do not monitor the signal. The looper will make sure everything records in sync.

Itā€™s update time, 2.2.3 is out !! :+1:

1 Like

Itā€™s a bug fix updateā€¦

Noob question about the Liveā€¦

Q: Are they any shortcuts to change modes?

e.g. I would expect [ Menu ] + [ Pad nn ] to change to the relevant mode.

Q: Are they any shortcuts to change tracks?

e.g. I would expect [ Track ] + [ Pad nn ] to change to the relevant mode.

Q: Is it normal that pasting notes in the Piano Roll will paste as C-1 regardless of the source note?

Q: Is there any way to launch the Piano Roll at C3? Currently always shows at C-1; so you have to scroll up as your first course of action.

And Iā€™m just getting startedā€¦

1 Like

Hi Rusty,
Do you own an MPC Live?

Pad modes [mode and pad- MPC 1000] are on old MPCs and a bit of a glaring omission from the live. I saw on gearslutz someone talking about this to akais dan and he said itā€™s something theyā€™d like to do but didnā€™t confirm it on the roadmap or anything. Iā€™d put it down as ā€œmay happen one dayā€. Thing is though youā€™d have to memorise all the functions or get a custom screen print on your case

1 Like

Yes, temporarily / road testing; see how it works for me.

Glad itā€™s not just me! Itā€™s mind boggling to me that something like pad modes, has not been included.

I donā€™t think it would take that long to build up the muscle memory? [ Menu ] + [ Pad 13 ] for Sample Edit; [ Menu ] + [ Pad 14 ] for Pad Edit; youā€™d be flying along.

Besides; some cat would always make an overlay / some sticky tape would fix that real quick :stuck_out_tongue:

Akaiā€™s stance on this matter seems to be ā€œEeh, we got so much flak from introducing MODE + pad shortcuts for the 1k/2k5, it is doubtful we will ever reintroduce itā€ IIRC. ie some crudgy old mongrels used to working their MPC60s hated that workflowā€¦ and its now slightly haram for Akai to reintroduceā€¦ Same legacy arguments have also been made againts changing the NEXT SEQ mode to work more logically, as the way it works now is a PITA (if you exit NEXT SEQ before the seq transitions, the seq change is lost) but some og MPC heads rely on the legacy behaviour for their gigsā€¦

2 Likes