MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Yep… they also stuck mute groups on that page. Both should be on the master page

1 Like

Someone is using NI Maschine with a cheap tablet:

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/maschine-2-on-59-tablet.232351/

Just in case, you want to use NI Maschine as sequencer … it could be done with a windows tablet… dont know how sampling will be - but i think sequencer wise - it couldnt be so bad.

I’ve heard a couple instances of the latest update causing some issues with the chorus and flange effects.

Does anyone know if this is an issue with every unit that has applied the update or hit and miss?

Has anyone else had any issues with their unit not playing (sequencer doesn’t start when hitting play) as well as no sound being audible? Happens immediately after starting/loading a project, so it’s sort of like loading into a freeze. Say maybe 10% of the time? So far I’ve had this happen on both 2.0.3 and 2.0.5. I reeeealllly do not want to have to send this back.

I remember that thread! I did run Machine 2 & Ableton on an HP convertible (Win7/64) - It was a nice compact setup.
I used both the Maschine surface and a launchpad as the the on-screen controls in both apps (knobs & faders) were pretty unusable with touch.

I believe you that the touch aspect is not good - but just for visualizing, and sample playback + midi sequencing - it could be a very lightweight setup. But its still missing the audio tracks that the MPC features. And the more i use NI Maschine, the questions arises - why no audio tracks :confused:

No idea, never used chorus or flanger, but I’ll try to remember checking tonight

I believe the main outs are hitting the red zone…Turn down your programs volume at -9 to -12db so that main outs 1-2 won’t overload

guys, i’ve been struggling with finding a good master compressor setting.
can anyone recommend something?
i usually use this one on master, together with eq, but i guess, it could be better. also i don’t think that it’s good in limiting stuff, sometimes it clips :confused: any advice?
compressorss

I advise you not to put any limiters on your master…Try lowering your programs to about -12db so you won’t hit the red zone in your main outs cause digital clipping is the worst…Do your boosting with parallel compression and limiting in your DAW…That’s your safest bet!

1 Like

nah, no daw, i’m all about the live performance without laptop )

Ye me too man but how you record your live playing?External recorder like Zoom’s and stuff?

i record with zoom h4 if needed, and with my laptop at home…
but i’m using mpc live mostly for live performances in clubs, so i want to use it’s compressors, cause i don’t have any external ones ) mmm, maybe i have in motu, but that’s another box to bring with, so i don’t bother

Then stick that SP1200 preset in your master that acts like a limiter :wink: If you want to compress do it individually on your tracks

thanks! tried it, sounds ok to me.
but what is a difference between those vintage modes? i mean, mpc3000, mpc60 and sp1200 effects. couldn’t find anything in manual, and sound difference seems very subtle…

Are you sure you need limiting for your live performance though? Commercially released music is often processed a certain way and with a certain loudness because it cannot be assumed that a FOH engineer will be looking after the levels of the performance etc. Are you sure you realle need all that processing in a live situation? Let the FOH engineer worry about the levels and just make sure it sounds good on its own in the MPC.

On AKAI site says: “Vintage Modes allow you to choose an emulation of vintage sonic qualities from classic drum machines and samplers.”
Only the SP1200 mode acts like a limiter…With the other modes you need to adjust your programs levels so it won’t hit red on your main out 1-2…
I personally made a feature request about a high quality limiter effect for standalone use…

yeah, i think i do, cause i mix it myself together with elektron boxes, so would be a good thing to have at least mpc under control.
and also mpc live tends to sound really nasty, if levels are a bit red, and it could happen quite easily, with layers and stuff, even with compressors on. funny, cause i don’t remember such stuff with mpc1000, it was lovely all the time.

Crank that master hardware knob to the max and try the -9 to -12db rule I’ve told you on programs.That’s the right way trust me…It’s all about controlling digital clipping!As tsutek told you very correctly let the live engineer worry about the levels and do your own correct and controlled mixing inside the MPC.

6 Likes

He’s right you know! :smiley:

1 Like