MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Hi there,

just a little question for more advanced mpc users than me.

I struggle with a sooooooo basic problem…

I was wondering if there is a way to launch a sequence with init settings ?

I’m preparing a live set and I have lot’s of tracks/pads that needs to start muted.

Problem is Mpc live always remembers the state I left the track in when moving to another sequence which is a great feature while playing through sequences.

But in my situation I have to manually re-mute everything when working/training on specific parts like transitions…Huge pain since there are tons of pads to mute get back to the state I want them.

Since this is all for performing live, I do not want to use song mode, I want to have the freedom of choosing when to trigger things.

How do you guys manage such situations ?

Thanks a lot for your insights.

How bout making a copy of that particular seq and erasing the stuff that you want muted?

Or maybe mult your stuff across a few tracks and mute them (track mute), instead of micromanaging mute pad for every single sound?

lastly, tried mute groups? SUPER HANDY :wink:

The software got updated? And now matches the features and UI layout changes of the 2.0.5 standalone?

Hey thanks for the reply !

About your first proposition,I have to admit I don’t quite get it… If events are erased, how am I supposed to get them back on ?

Track mute is a way of reducing the pain, but the problem seems to remain the same at a higher level…If I play a one hour liveset, I will still have to prepare the next with muting/unmuting stuffs along 40 or 50 sequences…

Lastly, I never bothered with mute groups, I gonna check that !

Thanks a lot !

What I mean is this - lets suppose you have a “song” that you want to start with very little elements, and build up. lets assume that it has 4 parts (could have lots more but for this example 4 is easier to demo). So could start the song with a seq 1 containing stuff only one track 1 (intro)

1 2 3 4
x

Here the x denominates that there is content only on track 1
Then, you want to add the second track, so you jump to seq 2

1 2 3 4
x x

ok, now you wanna hit the full arrangement and work freely with the mutes, so you jump to seq 3

1 2 3 4
x x x x

Does this make sense?

Yes, that makes sense but, if I understand correctly, after jamming with seq3, I’ll have to go back putting it in its default state… :stuck_out_tongue:

No need to do that unless you intend on coming back to seq3 at a later time.

The software’s now at 2.0.4.16.

Here’s the notes:

1 Like

I haven’t kept up with the MPC Live at all or this thread. Would anyone mind giving a general consensus on the product so far? Are people happy with it? Or is it buggy and/or a pain in the butt workflow-wise? I find myself getting drawn to it as my musical style changes a little.

Can’t speak for a general consensus but I know that it doesn’t suck and works as it should. Fun box.

2 Likes

No idea wrt consensus either, but AFAIK from this board and GS, response has been optimistically positive. More love than hate IMO.

The OS updates are nowhere finished yet, and even now the machine(s) are quite usable. Akai has certainly released OS updates much more frequently than with the previous standalones (4k & 5k took YEARS to get anywhere IIRC)

Personally I think it’s the best standalone MPC yet unless we only focus on sound quality… On that front I doubt that the 60, 3k and 4k will ever be bested. Some power features from JJOS are still missing, But most major omissions are being adressed and are already on the OS dev roadmap (multitimbral input, automation editing…)

So I’m new to MPC, and have been trying to solve this for a while but I’m stuck… :confused:

I added a loop to the Sample Edit mode, and I created some Chops. I then saved this as a drum program with the cops assigned to pads.

So now I want to play this drum program in Main mode, playing the pads with Note on (only play the slice when the pad is being pused down), but I simply cant pull it off. It’s stuck in One shot, and I don’t understand how to change it…

Is there any kind soul out there that knows how to solve this?

IIRC loops can only be oneshots’ unfortunately.

Perhaps you can render the looping into the sample directly? If you only need a few iterations of the loop, that is…

Oh I see.

Not sure I’m completely getting this ;D. I don’t really need anything to loop. It’s just a sample that I want to trigger short parts of. With Note on.

Do I maybe need to bounce the slices to new audio files or?

Try bouncing, should be easy enough. You can bounce down audio from the folders menu IIRC

1 Like

Your answer is in one of the tabs in the Program Edit menu.

And the manual :wink:

1 Like

I was searching the manual like a crazy person, promise :smile_cat:

And there it is! Hiding behind the “LFO MODULATION” tab?! :smiley:
Thank you so much for the help, now I can get back to the music again!!

2 Likes

This is my first mpc and I have only had the mpc live for a short while. Still going through the manual, but it is an absolute blast so far, loving this machine.

The portability and the fact that you can make music on this thing super fast has been very inspirational and i have been banging out ideas on this thing constantly. And have been taking it everywhere. Basically, it has been loads of fun

3 Likes

:+1:t4:

Agreed. Super lame placement for something related to one-shots and ADSRs.

2 Likes