MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Is there anyway to trigger pads during playback in song mode? Been bugging me for a while

Yes, you can play the sequencer and play the pads at the same time.

Also for your other question, you do not need the 2.0 software at all for standalone. Just install the SSD and format it on the Live. I’m strictly a standalone kind of guy, I know 2.0 is not needed unless you wanna go the VST route, then you’ll need the software.

Thanks for the reply, good to hear I don’t need to install 2.0.

With regards to my other issue, pads do not trigger sounds when I play back a song in song mode. Is there something I need to do to set this up?

1 Like

Ah, my bad. Thought you meant the sequencer.

You need to put the whole song in a stereo wav. file to play as a sample to do that. In Song mode, the pads only trigger the sequences as a whole, not the samples within them.

Track mutes are midi mappable just so you know, bit late so im unsure if you already found a solution

Shame about that as it was a handy feature in JJOS to try ideas before committing to a sequence

From song mode, why wouldn’t you convert it to a sequence than go and layer, play your pads?

I think that will be my solution for live going forward, compose sequences, build a song in song mode, bounce to sequence and play it back while paying with mutes and effects

guys, can you please tell, how to play a looped sample? not by holding a pad with note on, just by launching it like in ableton, so it could play continiously.
i mean, is there any way to do it, besides clip mode?

There should be a setting for a pad/layer to trigger “AS PLAYED” or “ONE SHOT” somewhere… unless I am remembering this wrong and this is only on other MPC models? Not at my live right now…

Other thing to try would be to mess with the amp env settings, there might be a way to set a ridiculously long release stage somehow…?

As far as I know you can only do this in clip mode.
Otherwise you could trigger a longer sample (Check one shot/as played as suggested below), but it won’t loop unfortunately.

This machine is almost there in so many ways…

1 Like

yeah, manual says this:
Use the Pad Loop button to cycle through the available Pad Loop modes.
Important: For Pad Loop to work, you must (1) set the Sample Play field to Note On instead of One Shot and (2) set the Slice field to Pad instead of All or a slice number.
so it’s only ‘note on’ :confused:

so how’s your experience with clip mode so far? is it stable enough for live performance?
i understand that you need to record clip launches into the sequence, or they will dissapear as soon as you play drum programs, but other than that - is it good?

I don’t really like it for the reason you mention, if I need to record clip launches for them to work as intended, then I can just use pads in a drum group and enter triggers in my sequence, I’m not likely to change tempo mid song, but I’m likely to launch some clips then change program and play some other sounds, which I can’t…
Plus I think clips can only loop for 4 bars (not 100% sure, not at home now), which might not work for some.
At the moment clips feel like an afterthought, added just to click a marketing box.

On the other hand, when you look at clips, they work in the same way as other modes, for example if you are in next sequence mode, queue up a sequence change and move to mute mode, boom sequence change is gone, so it feels like more than an issue with clip mode is an overall issue with the Live architecture.

I hope Akai will do some updates and get this up to its potential, but Akai is not Elektron so I hope NI will release a standalone Machine…

1 Like

I have the same combo, wish there was a way on the DT to sample and instant playback after recording like on the OT.

nah, they can loop for infinity. i turn off any quantizing and warping, and make a really long sequence - works nice with ambient field recordings and pad sounds

No, and I requested this feature multiple times to Akai and their beta-testers. Holding a pad to loop is the only way and sucks. A trick I do is loop a sample in the sequencer and I play the pads over, but its much convenient to just hit the pad and go.

2 Likes

Can this be done on the Digitakt?

Digitakt also, you have to hold the trigger but you gotta set the Loop on. In a sequence it loops, but if you were doing improv work without it, you would have to hold it or play it as one-shot and repeat the parts manually.

So excited that i need to spam it also here…:smiley:

I just received a phone call from the shop where i pre-ordered from (NL)…they received my X…and will send it out today.
So i received my tracking code…looks like it will be in tomorrow…dayum…

4 Likes