MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

The Live’s file management system kind of sucks. They give you tons of kits, but there’s no way to filter through them. So you either have to search or scroll for days. Maybe this will get fixed.

I usually just search for the number 9. The Kit is called 9 oh 9 I think. There’s 2 of them.

1 Like

Yeah, I mean it wouldn’t have taken Akai that long to build a lil folder structure around their factory lib. Woulda been worth it for sure.

The Live (Like Maschine before) is really good at showing me how much I suck at using samples.
I even bought a couple of amazing sample packs (Goldbaby’s Wadra and Dirt n Layers Leviathan), just to go back to my old habits of stubbornly synthesising all my sounds.

On the other hand, the Live is layering heaven and the program view from the sample edit window really makes things easier.

I still haven’t clicked 100% with the Live, the clips suck balls and the effects are quite horrible, but I’m surely having fun.

Aaah I see, so that’s how to find it!
There is even “7 oh 7” and “8 oh 8”!!! :blush:
Big thanks for the tip, saved me a lot of time! :blush:

2 Likes

I think the tape delay is quite nice. The compressors and distortion serve some utility purpose when used with minimal settings.

But yeah, synthesis on the Live is one of my favorite things these days.

Can anyone tell me if 512MB ram is the limit per project on the hardware and does this apply to only to samples.

Petition for MPC sidechain~
sign it if you need this key feature too!

1 Like

I have a MIDI track sequencing the ARP Odyssey. I record with the sampler. Assign recorded sample to pad. Make grid entry. Playback is not in time - seems to be too quick. WTF.

1 Like

How about this key feature on the Octotrack!

1 Like

Fired up the 2.0 software today. Wish I had done this already! What a breeze for building kits for later.

2 Likes

Not the best or most elegant solution, but I have an Ipad connected for external processing and I sidechain with Kymatica Push, then resample.

1 Like

Ahh so you saying its a lot faster to build kits/keygroups in controller mode? As I have yet to (re)build my content for the live, I’ll look into this, thanks.

To me it is anyway! I was sitting with my CF card folder view open (still plugged into Live), drag and droped the samples into the pool then just dragged them to the pads from there. Once happy, save the kit (I saved twice, to PC and Live). I don’t think you need to drag into the sample pool, think it works from the explorer view within 2.0 so can save another step.

If familiar with your samples, you’ll be building kits in no time at all. Not tried key groups yet, that’s still a little new to me but I think it’s very easy too.

1 Like

How about building round robins? Can you also drag and drop to all the four layers this way?

I’m utilizing as much of round robin as possible, now that I finally have a box that handles RR elegantly (with a 1K running JJOS round robin always made a terrible mess of the seq data). Such an underrated feature that adds alot of extra nuance to static drum samples. I’m still puzzled the recent elektron boxes dont have this nailed, you have to resort to manual samp locking, chore…

Not given it a go yet. Genuinely spent all of about 20 minutes with it yesterday haha. Hopefully all possible. I know you can do it within standalone.

yes of course, but this drag and drop ease of handling layers interests me.

1 Like

Update - The MPC Live has passed Edinburgh Airport security without a hitch. Tunes in the sun here I come.

3 Likes

I currently have so many cables plugged in the Live that mobility is a dream.
Still love the small print and standaloneability though.

2 Likes

SHIFT+DRAG will allow you to drag samples to the 4 pad layers. Figured this out by accident :slight_smile:

I would change the LAYER PLAY mode to “Cycle” on one pad first, then copy/paste the pad to your other pads to speed the process of changing the pad mode. Then do your drag n’ drop.

4 Likes

thanks for this sir!

1 Like